PDA

View Full Version : WHY MAKE MUSIC ANYWAY?

el salvador
08-03-2006, 12:39 AM
i was wondering, as a musician (a classically trained guitarist), why do you guys make music? what is the reason? can you be brutally honest? why do you want to do it?

audioinjection
08-03-2006, 12:42 AM
cause we want to be rich and be a superstar djs

koma
08-03-2006, 12:43 AM
to get free drugs from suck-ups and score easier...

el salvador
08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
thanks for the honesty guys :)

SlavikSvensk
08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
because i can express things musically i have a hard time putting into words

MARKEG
08-03-2006, 01:05 AM
WHY MAKE MUSIC?

honest?

cause it's all i know. it makes me feel good. i sit with my girl and i buzz so bad looking at her getting excited about the beats. i get excited thinking how i will feel when i hear that sound on a sound system.

oh how i love making music.

dirty_bass
08-03-2006, 01:06 AM
I`ve always done it.
I`ve been involved in music since I was about 8.
It`s become an ultimate source of therapy and artistic expression for me, plus I also enjoy parties, sound in general, abstract emotional responses to it, sound systems.....
In fact the reasons are far too numerous to go on about.

audioinjection
08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
yeah, i was joking earlier

but steve said it, expression, sound systems, bass, parties, i love it

Ian
08-03-2006, 04:09 AM
being classicaly trained at guitar does not a musician make.

it is easy to separate those who make music because they have to and those who make music to gain things like money/status/women

just listen.

holotropik
08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
I am in the camp with those who have always been in the music (both my parents are musicians). It makes me feel complete. It is....

When it comes to the question why techno? Well I grew up in the age of the birth of electronics/computers. As a young fella I had access to the latest music technology through my parents. They also always had really cool keyboards/synths lying around which I used to play with all the time and makes farked up noise with.

Music is all there is for me. If I am not listening, I am making.

I dont own a TV, but, i own a lounge-room full of speakers.

dan the acid man
08-03-2006, 08:29 AM
im the same as most of you guys, i've always loved music from as early as i can remember (probabloy due to having one of those toy trains that played records as a tot), then i started to play the guitar at about 10 years old, played drums (poorly) and also played the bass in a band at school.
i make music because i enjoy it, simple, nothing more nothing less.

why do i enjoy it ? im not sure really to be honest, i suppose it's a way of expressing myself, aswell as escapism

djshiva
08-03-2006, 08:30 AM
"without music, life would be pointless." frederich neitzsche

Miromiric
08-03-2006, 10:04 AM
i was wondering, as a musician (a classically trained guitarist), why do you guys make music? what is the reason? can you be brutally honest? why do you want to do it?

just go look in that OMG OMG WE GUTTA STOP THE ILLEGAL DOWNLAODS 17-page-thread and see for yourself who makes music for what reason.

some people make me really sick.

Stodgy
08-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I make music when it makes me feel good to make it, but there are many ways to express yourself and I don't feel pinned down to music or even as though I have to be heard at all but it is a great feeling to make a tune and know people have rocked to it.

fatcollective
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I make music when it makes me feel good to make it, but there are many ways to express yourself and I don't feel pinned down to music or even as though I have to be heard at all but it is a great feeling to make a tune and know people have rocked to it.

same as stodgy.

holotropik
08-03-2006, 10:46 AM

true indeed!!

Jay Pace
08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I like making things.
Music is the most personally rewarding thing to make.

dan the acid man
08-03-2006, 12:10 PM

just go look in that OMG OMG WE GUTTA STOP THE ILLEGAL DOWNLAODS 17-page-thread and see for yourself who makes music for what reason.

some people make me really sick.

i cant say i've seen anybody posting in that thread who's making techno just for the money.
if anybody here was making music just for money, they'd be off making pop music or something

Miromiric
08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
you are telling me some people did not start making music in the first place because they saw it will get them more gigs?

Miromiric
08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
or making music with "will this work with hte crowd" attitude :myagi:

dan the acid man
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
you are telling me some people did not start making music in the first place because they saw it will get them more gigs?

oh right, i didn't think of it in that way, i suppose some people do go into producing to get more gigs,
but still if anybody was just making music to earn money (forgetting about gigs), then they'd be making something else other than techno

el salvador
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
from a small boy my father played his guitar and singed songs from the gypsies to me. he plays with his troop in the bars still today. they all wear the big hats and wear the traditional clothing of my country. i used to collect the coins from the people there who enjoyed to listen to them as they have played.
because of my love too for the techno music i have recently started to try to make this too. ithink that i have music in my blood, and i am only satisfied when i have music in my life. when i understand the equipment i have better, i hope to make good techno too. not because i want to have free drugs and money or be a superstar, but just to be making the music that i like. i think that when you are a musician, if you are not making music, your soul will be crying. would be nice to pull the chicas though. i love them too :lol: make love/music/drugs not war

Buttman
08-03-2006, 03:28 PM
To get those voices OUT OF MY HEAD!

The Teknoist
09-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Its the only thing that makes me happy really. Being a sufferer of o.c.d and manic depression i find its the best therapy iv ever had, above all medical forms of therapy like cognitive behaviour therapy etc.

I love writing music and cant ever see myself stopping even if i wanted to.

holotropik
09-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Here is part of an email I recieved this morning....

"Anyway this morning for the first time I"m going through emails. Got to yours and have just listened to Greed 2. Now I"m listening to Greed. Man, Glen it's ****ing briliant. I love the sample which to me sounds like" "it's just a green frog", proabblly nothing like that, anyway it rocks. I love the roll of it, the driving bass sounds and how it attenuates up and down. It's totally drilling but retains the funk; plus most excitingly for me it's deep as buggery...."

That is why it is all worth it. This came from one of Australia's best Techno DJs.....

imported_sicknote
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM
its an artform really....

true expression....

self expression.....

escapism....

what you make of it

nasty messy business like me :techno:

davethedrummer
09-03-2006, 02:39 PM
why not?

Si the Sigh
09-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Only loosers listen to music...

imported_sicknote
09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
why not?

damn straight

either that or stamp collecting or somink.....

stamps are great

if you gave someone 30p for delivering a letter they would tell you to f#@k off

Jay Pace
09-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I'd do it for 10p

I love delivering mail

But no one ever asks...

imported_sicknote
09-03-2006, 03:48 PM
postman pat is a legend

geeza

Komplex
09-03-2006, 10:34 PM

because it feels good!

if it feels good, do it.

Mindful
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
*runs off for a wank

danielmarshall
22-03-2006, 09:32 AM
or making music with "will this work with hte crowd" attitude :myagi:

:lol: Nail on the head mate

So many people out there have this attitude, but are condescending to pop artists or people who listen to pop or whatever, when in essance they're guilty of the same thing... It's a pretty human thing to want recognition isn't it? Unless you're trying to be like Ckhurghtt (the latest spelling) Cobain.

I write music for other people, as well as myself. It's the best feeling knowing that you've done something that's praiseworthy, and if you deny yourself a pat on the back for a job well done then I think you're needlessly missing out.

Music isn't my whole life - I believe that's a lobsided way of living, but rather something that adds to who I am. I feel good when I've finnished writing a track, especially when I've had some real difficulties with it... Writing music is often times is frustrating and even demotivational, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy :)

robin m
22-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I like making things.
Music is the most personally rewarding thing to make.

This sums it up for me too, I got bored of making model aeroplanes :paranoid:

It beats sitting on the couch watching tv and not making anything which most people seem happy to do. :)

TechMouse
22-03-2006, 10:19 AM
It beats sitting on the couch watching tv and not making anything which most people seem happy to do. :)
Damn straight.

278d7e64a374de26f==