PDA

View Full Version : a description of acid techno

saki nzyme
01-12-2002, 04:04 PM
i found this on the net the other day, it just sums up acid really.......

Acid Techno

Acid techno is usually hard as nails, mental & around 150bpm, but in many ways it is less "harsh" than pure techno. Pioneered in London, it really kicked off around '96 in the squat scene. Acid techno tends to be less "looped" than pure techno which generally makes it easier on the ear and means a less frantic mix for the DJ who can let the tune play rather than mix it out in less than a minute! Due to the nature of the acid line & the lack of loops, many acid techno tunes can have quite a trance feel to them but yet be dirty as hell!

Label Examples:. Stay Up Forever, Smitten, Routemaster, Brain, Hazchem, Bionic Orange, 23 records

Artist/DJ Examples:. Chris/Julian/Aaron Liberator, DAVE the Drummer, Guy McGaffer, Pete Skank, Lawrie Immerson, DDR, Rowland the Bastard

Anonymous
19-12-2002, 04:17 PM
a better description of acid techno is 303 lines over bloody everything and since rebirth overcooked the concept, it is a most loathsome sound... :roll:

imho.

Anonymous
19-12-2002, 07:35 PM
I second that, guest.

As a retro flashback, sure.
As a contemporary technogenre, I think not.

MARKEG
20-12-2002, 01:58 AM
No way, don't agree with either of you.

You're starting to sound like right snobby techno purists...

You obviously don't understand acid techno, so don't be so quick to slag it off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
22-12-2002, 01:04 AM
yeah thanks mark
whatch out guys you have probably danced to an acid techno track at least once without even knowing it.
it really doesn't contain 303s anymore apart from the odd thing on s.u.f. most of the labels ditched that sound a while back.
get a bit better informed if you will and get back to this thread and tell me what you think.
if you still hate it then fair do's.

check out the geezer on raw
esp raw 07

and maybe check out hydraulix maybe 16 or 07 or 01 you may like it, and you may not.

thing is we're here, we enjoy what we do and we are seriously underground, infact we've been upholding the true techno tradition in wharehouse parties in theu.k. for a good ten years now
and believe me these places are underground, and more importantly they're full of talent, marks been and he knows what i'm talking about.
all kinds of techno from booty getto stuff to acid to hard techno to proper minimal gear.
this is the scene and acid techno is one representation of it.
be careful what you say because it supports you even though you may not know it. and will continue to support you even if you slag it off.

well that's got that out of my system!

take care lads
d

krakp0t
05-01-2003, 04:46 AM
it does get up my ass a bit when i see only the london crew getting props for poineering acid. it seems to me that the acid sound owes as much to chicago, detroit, eindhoven and frankfurt.

label examples: djax, acid tracks, harthouse, UR, holzplatten, x-trax, plus8, reactive

artist / dj examples: mad mike, acid junkies, richie hatwin, jeff mills, woody mcbride, hardfloor, pacou, misjah, thomas heckmann, healium, speedy j, phuture, random xs, rob acid

do your homework kiddies. techno is a universal language.

MARKEG
05-01-2003, 09:25 PM
yes krakpot, very very good point indeed.

for me, chicago based trax/dj pierre/phuture/armando are the true acid pioneers in 88 and if you remember, their sound used to be about 120 bpm. what a superb time for music this was - probably my favourite ever..

but then UR and Hawtin seemed to be the first to bring the 303 back in the 90's and create a hybrid of techno and acid - real acid techno. plus of course, later artists such as Woody and Stoll.

i think though, techno artists were very quick to jump off the 303. then along came the liberators and created a sort of blend between acid techno and trance. it took me a long time to get my head around the fact it was 'acid techno', in fact, i always remember calling it acid trance and didn't really like the sound at all. But as time has gone on, it's obvious that these boys are way more influenced by techno, so it was unfair to call it acid trance.

but artists such as the liberators and dave the drummer have taken the words 'acid techno' further than any of the other artists such as hawtin and ur and so deserve maximum respect and props for this.

yet i do you're right krakpot - alot of people don't give enough credit to the original innovators of the 303 sound.

PHUTURE WILL SURVIVE :=]

krakp0t
06-01-2003, 05:27 PM
i'm not trying to have a go at anyone btw. nothing but maximum rizspek to chris, henry, lawrie, geezer et al. given the popularity of acid in netherlands and germany though, i do think it is a bit odd that there seeme like so little overlap between nl, germany, etc. and london. do you lot get booked to play on the continent very much?

mark, you need to visit nyc. pierre has a residency at filter 14.

278d7e64a374de26f==