PDA

View Full Version : so i got my kicks down but

tracatak
11-03-2006, 10:17 PM
so i got my kicks sounding how i want them to now..but im not sure what is a good way to take the next step and add the stabs i hear on every other kick or the off beat etc....you know those short sound effects tht kinda make the track not just a kick chugging..do i just take short synth sounds and place them like this ---- x--- ---- x---

or

x--- ---- x--- ----

any help would be greatly appriciated.. :eyes:

rhythmtech
11-03-2006, 10:32 PM
reverb reverb reverb.. a nice reverse gate can get things rolling along nicely... but go easy on it or you'll push your kicks too far back in the mix.

rhythmtech
11-03-2006, 10:33 PM
or maybe its the snare you're talking about? can you upload a sample?

tracatak
11-03-2006, 10:43 PM
how do i do a reverse gate... what exactly is a rverse gate too//thanks

ps ill try an finda sample i can post too

rhythmtech
11-03-2006, 10:52 PM
most good reverbs will have a reverse gate preset... basically it reverses the reverb effect... if you use reason theres one on the bi reverb jobby thig...

loopdon
11-03-2006, 10:53 PM
the way you painted it i think you want a snare or a clap. there's so many samples you could use for each. reverb (gated) - compression - and delay come to my mind in this respect. maybe you want one of those white - noise kinda snares?

please supply us with a snippet of the sound you are aiming at. that would be immensly helpful. are you going for that really basic 4 to the floor sound, i.e.:

Kick : X---X---X---X---

Snare/Clap: ----X-------X---

so the snare/clap comes on every second kick?

i'd really like to be of service but we need a sample! upload it via yousendit.com or sth. :boadj:

tracatak
11-03-2006, 11:14 PM
http://www.bangingtunes.com/mp3/methadon006_b.mp3 here is a sample of what i wanna try to get the feel of..

but

my stuff normally sounds liek this..which i love..but the second one sounds a bit more str8 forward n not so start n stop..the2nd flows i love tht but i wanan try n learn how to get liek the first one..i think the first one maybe jsut has snares or claps..etc liek this -xxx -xxx -xxx -xxx or ---- -xxx ---- -xxx but with some sorta effect on there i cant quite get the grasp off...mayeb its the reverse gate u speak of what does a reverse gate do ..souund liek the sample is reversed? i heard of this but never understood can sopme1 post what a it soudsn liek maybe? i tend to learn better that way...thansk again

rhythmtech
11-03-2006, 11:20 PM
sounds like a reverse gate reverb or else a low off beat bass line... to hard to tell with those samples. but thats probably what it is.

if you want to hear reverse gate listen to early london acid tunes. the first few bars are usually just kick and plenty of them had reverse gate on them

Dave Elyzium
12-03-2006, 03:07 AM
reverse gate = kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph kick wumph

loopdon
12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
what is a 'reverse gate reverb'? is that a gated reverse reverb?
i am not quite sure about this, but i'll try. do you you send your kicks to a send channel with a reverse reverb on it and a gate after it?

is this the thing with the reverb (in this case reversed) and the predelay set so that it falls between (offbeat) the kicks + gated to not overlap the following kick?

i just want to know if i know what y'all are talking about. :lol:

RDR
12-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Thats right loopdon, you dont have to use a gate, but it can produce a different sort of effect.

module
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
delays & clever eq are my tool to get summat rollin..

and dont stick to the simple 1,2,3 or 4 beat delay... go into the milliseconds & try various settings.

also a fan of panning the stab to the left & delay to the right.. gives depth & space & length to summat as simple as a crap snare.

tracatak
13-03-2006, 11:53 PM
aweomse awesome threat thansk for all the help im gunan try all this can any1 maybe tell mea way to try all this in fruity or step by step in reason im new to reason...

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 12:40 AM
in reason..

create a mixer
create a redrum
input kick pattern
click mixer - create reverb unit
on reverb unit click the little disk slot (this opens the unit up for editing) (bottom left corner - looks like a floppy drive
find reverse gate preset
turn up send number 1 on re-drum mixer channel.

hope this helps..

tracatak
14-03-2006, 02:26 AM
great thanks ill try now..and get back to u with my results...awesoem captain cave man avatare too....i need to finda he man one for me...any1 now of any plug ins that do reverse gate..reverb..etc

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 02:30 AM
waves reverb

RDR
14-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Or anything that has a decent amount of pre-delay.. logic has, cubase has, fruityloops has... just look for a pre-delay dial.

loopdon
14-03-2006, 11:27 AM
can't find a plugin that offers both gated + reverse reverb.

i think it would work by using a reverse reverb + a gate behind it. or maybe work with the decay setting in the reverse reverb to kinda gate it.

am i way off?

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 11:59 AM
i cant explain it loopdon... just have a look at the reason unit. the graphical interface should be a help trying to figure it out.

loopdon
14-03-2006, 12:02 PM
i ain't got reason :lol:

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 12:03 PM
doh!!!! hang on i'll have a look and try figure it out

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 12:06 PM
nah... havent a clue m8... must be some kinda black processing magic ;)

reason is a witCH... and what do we do with witches????

MARKEG
14-03-2006, 01:07 PM
wizoo w2 was good for reverse verb i found. :)

loopdon
14-03-2006, 01:57 PM
cool, i guess arts acoustic has a preset for this as well. or rayspace. and the new ik multimedia stuff (csr; but that is def. out of reach!) :cheese:

Mindful
14-03-2006, 07:39 PM
or just reverse your sound, put a reverb on it then reverse it back.

Not the same but just as cool

tracatak
14-03-2006, 11:02 PM
well itried the whole erason thing i have no iea what im looking at wheni open reason so ill try but CREATING..etc do i go up top to the main menu and click create then selct mixer..WHICH ONE?,...the do the same for the redrum.. I GOT BOTH OF THESE OPEN I THINK when i open reason or do i need more...ill keep tryin..ty again..great thread..great responses

fresh_an_funky_design
15-03-2006, 12:13 AM
...awesoem captain cave man avatare too...

its a self portrait :lol:

rhythmtech
15-03-2006, 01:57 AM
...awesoem captain cave man avatare too...

its a self portrait :lol:

i'll kick your semi italian ass up and down the street monkey boy!!!!

:lol: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==