PDA

View Full Version : does this make sense...

samiam
13-03-2006, 10:20 PM
howarye,

i'm gettin a toshiba satellite dual core processor, with a 5400rpm HD to run ableton, reason etc...

i was thinkin that i could have more audio running more reliably if i bought an external usb2 - 7200rpm hard drive... does it work that way or are there flaws with this theory?

also, any forums or reviews i've sifted through seem to suggest that most ext HD's available work fine when they're bought first but have a very limited life expectancy ranging from a day to a year. and lots of those reviews are from home users just using the drive to back shit up. the reason i want to get an external drive is so i can actually store and run audio directly off it both in studio and live situations. does any one have a model of ext HD they are satisfied with - or not...

thanks,

sam. :cheese:

samiam
14-03-2006, 01:21 PM
this place is a ghost town.... :coffee:

ampassasinbirmingham
15-03-2006, 09:34 AM
ive been running my setup from an external for about 6 months. no problems with it really. i run the applications from my internal, samples, patches etc on the external. i got a LACIE btw, if that helps.

dan the acid man
15-03-2006, 08:57 PM
an external hard drive is usually just a standard hard drive in a protective casing, so life expectancy shouldn't be any different to internal drives.
i think most people who complain about low life are people that carry the drives around alot, as hard drives aren't made to be knocked around.

i'd definetly recommend that you use a 72,000rpm drive.

samiam
16-03-2006, 12:30 PM
thanks lads. so when ye play a gig or whatever, do you take the hard drive with you, or just pull the audio/patches your going to use for the show over to the laptop and leave the HD at home?

dan the acid man
17-03-2006, 08:45 AM
i'd personally put everything onto the laptop, but it maybe handy to take the external drive with you as back up.

samiam
19-03-2006, 04:40 PM
nice one :)

278d7e64a374de26f==