PDA

View Full Version : Calling all programmers here!

loopdon
14-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I dunno if anybody is up to this task but i imagine it could be a superb idea:

There is this program called tonart

http://www.zplane.de/showPage.php?SPRACHE=UK&PAGE=products15

"description
[tONaRT] key detection automatically determines the key signature of any audio input signal, either monophonic or polyphonic. Key recognition can be useful in mixing applications to check if the keys of different tracks are "compatible" or for automatic generation of high-level meta data information (e.g. ID-Tags). As a special feature, [tONaRT] also detects the standard (concert) pitch of the input signal."

http://www.zplane.de/Downloads/tONaRT.zip

It's superb and it's free. The only limitation is that it is limited to one-file-at-a-time
detection. So NO batch-processing. I wonder if anybody could write somekind of a gui or script or sth. (sorry for my noobism and lack of words
:oops: ) that could enable you to batch-process entire folders via this tool and possibly implement a functionality to add the detected key to the filename??

example: bassloop1.wav ---> bassloop_cmaj.wav

Is anybody up to the task or able to tell me how to make a script for this myself.

That would be superb, imho, as the detection is really, really good and it would make sorting loop libraries so much easier, imho.

tell me what you think :)

TechMouse
14-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Would be a couple of hours work for anyone using a scripting language like Perl / TCL etc.

TechMouse
14-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Something along the lines of....

foreach ($files as $filename) {

split_filename($filename, $name, $ext);

$result = [exec "tonart $filename"];

$new_filename = $name + "_" + $result + "." + $ext;

rename($filename, $new_filename);

}

That's pseudocode by the way, as I can't think of the correct stuff off the top of my head.

loopdon
14-03-2006, 03:27 PM
would yo mind having a go, techmouse? coz i am absolutely helpless at coding..

i would like to return the favor if possible. dunno how tho? ;)

TechMouse
14-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I'll see what I can do if I get 5 minutes...

Have you got a scripting language of some description set up?

loopdon
14-03-2006, 05:17 PM
err i beg your pardon?

i haven't got any scripting language set up, unfortunately. could stuff like this work with sth like vb-script??? i am so clueless and feel a total noob :(

rounser
15-03-2006, 04:03 AM
It's superb and it's free.
Whoa, too right. That rocks, exactly the kind of tool for taming samples that I love! :)

Here's something to accompany it which might solve your batch processing issue:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/autotune.htm

loopdon
15-03-2006, 07:44 AM
yeah, i know that one, mate. but wouldn't the combination of the other be superb :cheese:

i think i should retry that autotune thingie. but i have some questions regarding this.
i will write em up later.

can you tell me how YOU use it?

rounser
16-03-2006, 05:51 AM
can you tell me how YOU use it?
I have several hundred stabs which I put through it. Given that most stabs are chords, they're often tricky to place by ear, and autotune sets them to something like C.

Must see how it handles tuning percussion come to think of it.

278d7e64a374de26f==