PDA

View Full Version : making techno, madness and the world we live in...

rhythmtech
14-03-2006, 04:00 PM
do you think it helps to be a little odd upstairs to make techno... i've been out of work and holed up in the studio for about 4 weeks solid at this stage (give or take a few days here and there). at the moment i have a beard and my daily food intake consists of cheese sambos and take aways.... being honest my brain is pretty much fried at the moment, it has become a chore to get dressed and go to the shop for smokes..

but my output is fvcking quality and i'm really enjoying listening back to the tunes (which rarely ever happens)... :bonk:

discuss

loopdon
14-03-2006, 04:05 PM
i think we're all a little mental. being able to listen to loops for ages and finetuning and others wouldn't even notice the subtle differences. imho that is.

Mindful
14-03-2006, 07:28 PM
do you think it helps to be a little odd upstairs to make techno... i've been out of work and holed up in the studio for about 4 weeks solid at this stage (give or take a few days here and there). at the moment i have a beard and my daily food intake consists of cheese sambos and take aways.... being honest my brain is pretty much fried at the moment, it has become a chore to get dressed and go to the shop for smokes..

but my output is fvcking quality and i'm really enjoying listening back to the tunes (which rarely ever happens)... :bonk:

discuss

Haha thats me down to a tee that is Barry mate.

You been spying on me :paranoid:

I find my self sat there somtimes at 8.00 in the morning after an all night sesh and thinking "shit man get a grip you must take a break from this tune"
And then take a break from that tune by starting another lol
Then the missus gets up for college comes into the room and goes "you been on this ****ing thing allnight again"
and im like check it out its the best tune ever.

Evil G
15-03-2006, 12:43 AM
sounds like me too. i've been off work for over a year now, and while i've also been doing things besides make music, having the freedom to make it when i feel like it, instead of waiting to get home from work and losing my good ideas, has been great.

i just need to remember to go out often enough to not forget that there are other people in the world, and that some of them are less crazy than me.

module
15-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Then the missus gets up for college comes into the room and goes "you been on this **** thing allnight again"

HA HA HA :lol: :lol: :lol:

briliant

holotropik
15-03-2006, 08:08 AM
being skewiff in the head is a pre-requisite, yes.
But to learn that balance is the key to maintaining the right amount of pressure on oneself in order to last the distance and not go completely crackers is where the real deal is.

Its good to be holed up in the studio for times but it shouldnt be an obsessive disorder that results in a reclusive bearded git who no longer has any income or social life.

Balance is the key so that the tunes are always there, the ideas never stop and there is always something putting pressure on you to make those ideas into reality.....

rhythmtech
15-03-2006, 01:14 PM
oooo get you... the voice of reason.. ;)

acidsaturation
16-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Definately. Worryingly people who know me well can assess the state i was in when i wrote something by the music...

The Teknoist
16-03-2006, 01:22 PM
haha, yes! i suffer from adhd, ocd, manic depression and anxiety and borderline personality disorder... i really think it comes across in what i write (the hardcore techno stuff anyway because iv managed to get a good discipline with the techno i write somehow) but the hardcore and electronica i write is very sporadic, busy and has heaps of aggresive direction changes. Iv not washed since Sunday because as soon as im up im on the computer writing from 9am-2am.. scummy maybe but i cant drag myself away atm and tbh iv not been as happy for a long time.. my output is on fire atm and im actualy liking some of the stuff iv done although that will change in a few days as it always does. Il notice stuff in the tracks i hate and crash.. bleh.. so yeh.. haha, i think im delerious this week.. bo!

Mindful
16-03-2006, 01:32 PM
my output is on fire atm and im actualy liking some of the stuff iv done although that will change in a few days as it always does. Il notice stuff in the tracks i hate and crash.. bleh.. so yeh.. haha, i think im delerious this week.. bo!

Hahahahahahahaha

dirty_bass
16-03-2006, 05:34 PM
I find my self sat there somtimes at 8.00 in the morning after an all night sesh and thinking "shit man get a grip you must take a break from this tune"
Then the missus gets up for college comes into the room and goes "you been on this **** thing allnight again"

That`s almost a mirror of my life.
Scarey.

And yes, I have very dark and deep moments and it definitely comes across in my music, as the music is my therapy.

TheRev
16-03-2006, 05:44 PM
To me the best techno is mental music, and how can you create mind**** music if your mind isn't a little mental?

At the very least you gotta see what most don't see in life to be a quality artist, of any kind. Otherwise, are you going to be saying anything of interest?

holotropik
16-03-2006, 08:15 PM
To me the best techno is mental music, and how can you create **** music if your mind isn't a little mental?

At the very least you gotta see what most don't see in life to be a quality artist, of any kind. Otherwise, are you going to be saying anything of interest?

Amen to tha Rev!!!

danielmarshall
22-03-2006, 08:54 AM
...Then the missus gets up for college comes into the room and goes "you been on this **** thing allnight again"

Well when you put it that way how could she not understand?

:lol:

I don't know about the having to be crazy thing though. I know I think quite differently to most people I know, which is why I'm probably into music that's quite different, but I doubt I'm insane. I think it's got more to do with me having studdied maths which lead to me probably over-anylising stuff. I find that my emotional state has a big impact on my creativity, or what I'm listening to at the time as well. Sometimes techno is the last thing I want to hear, and other times I live for it.

Then again, the ocational spliff certainly helps thinking in a little more abstract direction, so maybe there is a connection between creativity and abnormal thinking patterns.

holotropik
22-03-2006, 09:21 AM
An article I came across a while back...

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050907_schizotype_creative.html

Worth a read.

278d7e64a374de26f==