PDA

View Full Version : hardware synth noob question

findthesolution
15-03-2006, 04:49 AM
So the time has come where I am ready to pick up my first real synthesizer. I was wondering if it was possible for me to use my midi keyboard (m-audio o2, has a midi in and midi out ports) to be able to send midi notes and information from Logic or Live to the synth thru the controller?

Simply put, I want to sequence the synth with my computer using the midi interface on my USB midi keyboard. Is this possible? I dont want to have to wait until Kore comes out before I buy my audio/midi interface.

thanks in advance for any response.

rounser
15-03-2006, 05:51 AM
If you want your computer to talk to your synth with your controller in the way first, you need a MIDI Thru port on your controller, which it doesn't appear to have from your description. So you should probably try it the other way around; the synth will have a MIDI Thru, so you could put your synth in the middle and your controller and computer at either end of the chain. Same difference really...

findthesolution
15-03-2006, 06:41 AM
thanks. most helpful indeed.

RDR
15-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Erm, i wouldnt put my synth in the way first... sequencer first...

Evil G
15-03-2006, 08:00 AM
you shouldn't need a seperate midi interface if you will only be using one piece of hardware, so yes, you should be able to do what you are asking.

your sequencer will receive your keyboard playing by usb, mix it with it's sequenced midi events, and send the combined midi data to your synth via the O2's midi out.

278d7e64a374de26f==