View Full Version : Replies to Steve's thread go here

earle
27-02-2006, 01:51 PM
quality thread, thanks

loopdon
27-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Allready loving this thread!

Regarding your Kickdrum technique i thought i would add to this by
posting something i found on trance.nu. I think it was Airwave who posted it.

"Soooo, the main question everyone asks is "where do you find your banging bass drums? which sample cd's?"

Explanation:

I use exactly the same sample material as you do. I just use it a little differently.
For a good sounding kick, try the following:

1) select a good sounding bass drum that has good power in the midtones. when selected, look at the waveform, take the highest point and put the beginning of your sample play there (it results in a 1khz clip you can't get with eq). when done, trim the kick, then remove the low freqs (let's say up to 500hz).

2) select another kick (808 style for example) with much low freqs, and remove the treble till 1khz.

3) put them in your arrange window and make a loop with them, both playing at the same time. Then put a delay on the lower kick, just 2 or 3 milliseconds.

4) merge them into one sample (kicks are always mono), if needed resample/rerecord the result.

5) First compress the new kick, with a 11ms attack, treshold -10/15db, and ratio 4 or 5:1, and NO release

6) eq it if needed (most of the time you won't have to)

7) you got a new bass drum, enjoy!!

dan the acid man
27-02-2006, 05:35 PM
good tips so far, this meeds to be a sticky

RDR
27-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Im interested in the seperation of sounds, steve could you state how you seperate sounds in the mix properly...

How about... is there any frequencies you really try to avoid?

Nice one for the tips, TBH I dont really use the verb tip very much unless im creating washing sounds scapes with crazy noises, i [personally] dont really like having too much bass action in the sub territory.... but like i said thats IMO...

;)

eyeswithoutaface
27-02-2006, 07:04 PM
seriously that closing your eyes tip is spot on, nothing better for seperating the mix in your head than sitting back, getting bang in the middle of the monitors and just have a seriously hard listen to the mix, because we all know that after hours of sitting in front of the same mix that even the best mix can just end up really jumbled, especially after fatigue sets in

cracking tips Steve lad, i think this should be a sticky

stjohn
27-02-2006, 10:42 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dirty_bass
28-02-2006, 12:26 AM
5: Velocities:

Go back through your tune and check the velocities of the notes on each part.
Does each part have the same velocities on each note?
If so, try to vary the velocities from note to note, to “humanise” the part and make the mix more dynamic.

fresh_an_funky_design
28-02-2006, 12:34 AM
5: Velocities:

Go back through your tune and check the velocities of the notes on each part.
Does each part have the same velocities on each note?
If so, try to vary the velocities from note to note, to “humanise” the part and make the mix more dynamic.

i dunno bout in cubase but in logic there's a feature to humanize ure midi events, just changes all the velocities slightly, you can adjust it to be as suttle or extreme as u like.

DotMatrix
28-02-2006, 01:26 AM
great thread! thanks.

FIK
28-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Great read. Cheers Bass

messyfuture
28-02-2006, 08:11 AM
i was thinking about this last night as i was lying in bed

and then panning for the left rigth effect, and reverb and delay for the front back effect

but i'm sure you will get to this

spot on db

loopdon
28-02-2006, 08:34 AM
really spot on!

just one little request - could you possibly lable your frequency pic with hz values approx? and what would you say is low bass, mid bass and high bass frequency-wise?

log:one
28-02-2006, 08:52 AM
good lord, what a shockingly useful topic!!!

if i knew what the emoticon for applause was there would be about fifty thousand of the little blighters in this post.

respect.

tekara
28-02-2006, 08:55 AM
im pretty sure everyone already does this, but i tend to always create custom project templates....

so when im lazy, i usually fire up a template with an audio track that is filled with reverb, distortion, and filters.. Then i just run my Virus through the track with all the effects on and scroll through the patches until i hear something interesting and go from there.

tekara
28-02-2006, 09:36 AM
LOL

u know you are a techno nerd when your thinking about reverb and delay in bed.

i was thinking about this last night as i was lying in bed

and then panning for the left rigth effect, and reverb and delay for the front back effect

but i'm sure you will get to this

spot on db :clap: :clap: :clap:

loopdon
28-02-2006, 09:38 AM
then i am certainly guilty of techno nerdism as well :lol:

god, i don't even want to start to tell you...

but: isn't that the reason we are here :cheese:

loopdon
28-02-2006, 01:25 PM
really spot on!

just one little request - could you possibly lable your frequency pic with hz values approx? and what would you say is low bass, mid bass and high bass frequency-wise?

I won`t label the pic with herz values as it is just a basic guide.
In fact when making music I rarely pay that much attention to the frequency value at all, I just use my ears, which at the end of the day is what it`s all about. I`d rather not encourage people to use numbers and values instead of their ears.
But yes, I will look into a rough frequency guid for splitting up Treble, Mid and bass.

i know it isn't about mixing by numbers... ;)

stjohn
28-02-2006, 06:33 PM
on fire!!! :) i like the edits one.... usually i would just drop a kick or sound at points throughout the tune, marking it with the intention to go back and change it up.

keep it up horse!!!

nova
01-03-2006, 12:10 AM
good tread

loopdon
01-03-2006, 11:09 AM
i like the 'less is more one'... this is essential :)

and i know it's about ears but it can be helpful to make use of say voxengo gliss eq to see where spectra overly or poshifopit eq.

i'd luv to hear detailed stuff about use of reverb . this is so important. gotta get to grips with that.

plz go on, steve. i have tried to stickify this thread, btw, and Mark said i could but i failed misearbly :cheese:

so i will have to pm Mark again, methinks!

danielmarshall
02-03-2006, 10:48 AM
[quote=dirty_bass]
i dunno bout in cubase but in logic there's a feature to humanize ure midi events, just changes all the velocities slightly, you can adjust it to be as suttle or extreme as u like.

Yup, FL Studio has that too. I find that particularly useful when writing breakbeat loops.

Mindful
03-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Gotta aggree with DB, the best way to huminise somthing is to do it your self(if you are human that is)
Why let a machine huminise somthing for you?

RDR
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
[quote=dirty_bass]

Yup, FL Studio has that too. I find that particularly useful when writing breakbeat loops.

In Cubase there is a function to humanise, randomise and generally mess with your midi notes

in the inspection window on the right hand side there is a window called track parameters, here you can set randomisation for Velocity, note length, pitch and position and set max an min for variation.

works well too.

RDR
07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
11: Experimentation 1.

The key to originality and creativity in any art form is experimentation.
Its bad practice in my opinion to look at every track you make with the expectation of releasing it. Some tracks are useful experiments and it’s ok to leave them as they are.

Thats primary man.
If you dont experiment, particularly with other styles then you're missing out on a HUGE range of possible other techniques.

RDR
07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
If you want to understand swing, go and get some drumming lessons, they are worth it in the extreme - it leads to a TOTAL understanding of how drums work, why they sound so good from a human and EXACTLY what you need to inject movement into your parts.

By understanding i dont mean the teacher will tell you, it goes deeper than that, you understand physically and it lays bare all the things you never quite understood before.

RDR
07-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Gotta aggree with DB, the best way to huminise somthing is to do it your self(if you are human that is)
Why let a machine huminise somthing for you?

Hi chief!

I disagree, there is a time and a place for this, espeically when you consider some people are serial mouse clickers and dont know HOW t play a keyboard (I dont include myself here thank ****)

TechMouse
07-03-2006, 09:08 AM
some people are serial mouse clickers
But my mouse is USB....

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/geek_inside.jpg

I'll get me http://pbskids.org/clifford/shared/images/games/help/coat.gif...

http://www.ultimatetaxi.com/2005/checker_taxi.jpg

danielmarshall
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Its bad practice in my opinion to look at every track you make with the expectation of releasing it. Some tracks are useful experiments and it’s ok to leave them as they are.

This isi exactly what Jeff Mills was saying in an interview I read recently.

loopdon
07-03-2006, 01:00 PM
any chance you can put that interview up or provide linkage?

RDR
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM

There you go see, haha, great minds think alike.

Thankf **** you dont write like him steve...

RDR
08-03-2006, 09:17 AM
But my mouse is USB....

Why am i NOT suprised that came from le departement de la techmouse?

:roll:

TechMouse
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Because you've become over-used to my particular brand of bollocks?

BloodStar
10-03-2006, 08:12 AM
spot on reading. would be nice to have this one sticky than it falls somewhere in the depths..

RDR
10-03-2006, 08:59 AM

Because you've become over-used to my particular brand of bollocks?

Techmouses Terrific Testicular Tourettes (tm)

"A fine brand of incomparible vocal warblings" (tm)

I was wondering if i could get a discount on bulk purchases of bollox?

loopdon
10-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Could you please stop this bollox shiznit :razz:

make up another thread for that - i won't close it, i promise

:cheese:

RDR
10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
O.k. just getting carried away... point noted. ;)

holotropik
15-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Nice work Steve ;)
I am aware of and try to practise all the things you say.....but I often get caught up and carried away with it all and tend to overcook it all. I am learning about 'good measure' so that I can avoid mixing too much excitement into the tunage and blowing it out....hehehe.

Cheers,
Glen.

DotMatrix
16-03-2006, 06:48 AM

Yeah it would be nice if Jeff Mills would stop experiementing for a while and make some techno though... My fav techno producer is off piss farting around with orchestras or something.... Come back Jeff, techno needs you?

loopdon
16-03-2006, 09:36 AM

Yeah it would be nice if Jeff Mills would stop experiementing for a while and make some techno though... My fav techno producer is off piss farting around with orchestras or something.... Come back Jeff, techno needs you?

but can't you understand him? :content:

danielmarshall
16-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Would you prefer that he wrote pop music?

Just because it doesn't sound like the music you like doesn't make bad music. He was saying that the music he's writing at the moment was for himself firstly - and who can blame the guy... After so many years of playing the Bells out every night I reckon he's ready for a change.

Personally I think Jeff Mills is destined for things bigger than techno. Many artists go through transitional periods like this, and when they surface with material aimed more at the main stream it's always good stuff. It's altogether possible that he's been brewing something in his dark dungeon of flashy lights that's truly revolutionary.

Mills has always been one to push things so if you don't like the fire, get out of the experimental kitchen...

DotMatrix
19-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Hehe look at what I've started here. I could further explain myself but I really don't want to ruin what is a great thread.

tounge in cheek fellas!

danielmarshall
19-03-2006, 02:14 AM
Fair enough, I'm not trying to dis you man :)

DotMatrix
19-03-2006, 08:40 AM
It's all good chief. I'm thick skinned. Plus my opinion is better than everyone elses ;)

loopdon
19-03-2006, 09:27 AM
the main man needs to come back to this thread i reckon :)

danielmarshall
19-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Not to mention the topic. Let's keep it about production hints and tips guys & girls.

loopdon
19-03-2006, 02:25 PM
shall i delete/move all the comments to a different thread?

Mindful
19-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah well done LD it was getting messy in there dude.

Mindful
19-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Tip no 5 is in here by the way mate.

loopdon
19-03-2006, 10:45 PM
thanks for telling me! i will move it tomorrow or later today.

:eyes:

278d7e64a374de26f==