PDA

View Full Version : Just got my mitts on Reason 2 and......????

Tobe Cypher23
28-08-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm wanna start making tunes now. But my hardsisk is full to the nuts, I can clear the shite off but I don't wanna really.

Do I need a separate hard disk just for making music etc? ie does it take up a lot of space etc

What do I need to to get started? ie slave keyboard

I don't have much money so I just want the basics for the time being until I understand what I'm doing.

Can anybody help please?

cascade
01-09-2003, 12:34 AM
mmmmm reason.

gonna buy it this week.

anyways, get a new harddrive from e-buyer, £40 for about 40gig
then put them both on the same ide cable, then set one to slave on your jumper settings, make sure its set to slave on the bios,
then there you go, an extra harddrive.

other options,
zip disks???

eyes without a face
01-09-2003, 10:19 PM
Fruity Studio is the best bet to get started right away, its got EVERYTHING you need, and i mean EVERYTHING. Plus i think the sequencer on reason is far too complicated

Adverse
01-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Fruity Studio is the best bet to get started right away, its got EVERYTHING you need, and i mean EVERYTHING. Plus i think the sequencer on reason is far too complicated

uh? maybe it isn't practical, but it's very easy.

Col
01-09-2003, 11:33 PM
I'm wanna start making tunes now. But my hardsisk is full to the nuts, I can clear the shite off but I don't wanna really.

Do I need a separate hard disk just for making music etc? ie does it take up a lot of space etc

What do I need to to get started? ie slave keyboard

I don't have much money so I just want the basics for the time being until I understand what I'm doing.

Can anybody help please?

right tobe, i suggest you get a midiman oxygen 8 midi controller, its become the "industry standard midi keyboard" and you can get them from sound control in leeds for £99.00 (i havent seen any midiman oxygen 8 controllers anywhere cheaper) although you can pick a lower standard midi keyboard for about £60.00 try looking at evoloutions range of midi controllers.

you'll want a decent soundcard, try the m-audio audiophile 24/96 for £149.99 again from soundcontrol (leeds) i think you can pick up a 24 bit, 96 khz recording sound card for around £100.00 but thats really the minimum your going to pick up a music based souncard, unless its 2nd hand (which might be a good idea)

and you'll want some decent monitors, which dont come cheaply, your looking at £300.00 really or around that mark anyway, although i bought some yamaha msp3's for £200.00 from sound control, but their pretty small.

good luck tobe.

ps: buy computer music magazine (monthly) full of free software, reviews, tutorials, features. (i highly recommend this mag)

EmotionComplex
02-09-2003, 12:55 AM
damn right!! ive been buyin computer music for a good fwe years now and there whole free music production package is bloody impressive for a cover disc, they often give free vst's too and the fruity/cubase/logic tips sections can be very useful.

Col
02-09-2003, 01:22 AM
damn right!! ive been buyin computer music for a good fwe years now and there whole free music production package is bloody impressive for a cover disc, they often give free vst's too and the fruity/cubase/logic tips sections can be very useful.

couldnt agree more

Tobe Cypher23
02-09-2003, 01:36 PM
Cheers everybody! Bit more complicated than I thought...mmm..will have ta check the spec of my sound card. Monitors are sorted as I have some nice Mission's.

Just need the keyboard. My mate Greg has one of these diddy slave keyboards anyone know where ya can get these? Are they more expensive (space is a problem).

Col
02-09-2003, 06:24 PM
I
Just need the keyboard. My mate Greg has one of these diddy slave keyboards anyone know where ya can get these? Are they more expensive (space is a problem).

are you talking about the midiman oxygen 8? 25 keys across 2 octaves?

if you really want to go for the budget option, try fox's music in leeds (next to the sony centre)

they have these really small midi keyboard controllers, but the keys are not full size, they dont look too flash, but it does the job. i bought one i while back, but you'll have to ask for one behind the counter, because their not on show, their £35.00 and its made by midismart.

Tobe Cypher23
04-09-2003, 04:47 PM
sweet!! Sounds more like my budget. :D

dj vorny
09-09-2003, 08:32 PM
or go for the M-AUDIO O-ZONE which is basicly a 25 note midi keybourd like the oxegen but also has built in usb 2by2 24 bit/96khz audio :shock: and mic input,sterio aux,headphones out direct monitor controlls for zero-latency monitoring :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) i got mine for £210 :wink: i recon its a good buy 8) :wink:

Col
09-09-2003, 08:50 PM
sweet!! Sounds more like my budget. :D

like i said though tobe, its not the best looking keyboard, and the keys are small, but it does the job mate.

fox's music-leeds

278d7e64a374de26f==