PDA

View Full Version :  Swedish Techno

04-12-2002, 05:16 AM
From an earlier post, someone mentioned Swedish techno never dying and Adam Beyer/Henrik B being amazing. Well I have to say that I like the Swedish sound and play it regularly, but sometime I feel Beyer and his other chums have found their formula and are sticking to it. I think Beyer's definitely another one who likes to follow trends (although that recent double pack he did with Henrik B was unbelievable). I hated that album he did recently on True Soul - made me fall asleep... I've heard much better down tempo stuff than that from serious experimental artists like Authechre/Aphex etc etc.

I reckon alot of people like 'Swedish techno' now because they think it's 'cool' to like that sound. It's all the same to me half the time and it's pushing no boundaries whatsoever.

When I buy a Beyer 12" I want it to be innovative every time. I want to feel it like I've never heard anything like it before (ie Decoded, Drumcode 01 etc etc). Recently it's all be sounding the same - I know precisely what's going to happen.

What do you lot think...
Edited by: markeg3000 at: 12/3/02 11:19:37 pm

Esox Lucius
04-12-2002, 05:23 AM
true, but beyer is still a quality producer... i don`t like the swedish sound to look cool, i love techno in general & all aspects of it, although i am not a fan of really funky techno eg Umek, but even beyer can make good funky techno... look at mr sliff - jelly tracks.

DJPAUZE
04-12-2002, 07:59 AM
I know im going to get beat up here but here it goes. I dont really like beyer at ALL. Nor do i like UMEK for that matter. I have seen beyer play and UMEK play, in my opinion they both put me to sleep. With a status like both of them, don't you think they should be pushing their techno to another level? After that many years of producing, dont you think they might have learned some new tricks.

I was talking to one of the big techno producers the other day(wont mention who), and we were discussing this issue. We both agreed that if youve got one beyer record youve got em all.

Ill agree as well with mark that the last beyer album put me to sleep and i sold it to a tech house dj here.

Listen to producers like Krome, Burkat, Anxious, Headroom, Slobodan, Wilson, it seems to me that as they release current material, their production quality and ideas grow. This is one of the most important things for me when buying techno, i have to want to say to myself "Man how the hell did they do that?", not "wow hes just changing the pattern on his 909 every 32 beats".

Woops i dont know if im off topic here but anyhow thats my deal on the swedish hard hitters.

04-12-2002, 08:52 AM
you say all it with such subtley frank :=]

hehe....

Adverse
04-12-2002, 11:42 AM
i agree it's the same.

i think henrik b brings a lot to the table and so did thomas krome back when code red and thrust was doing it for me.

personally cari lekebusch has been out in nowhere land for the last year. he's doing somthing totally different. but it's not my flavor.

so again swedish tech is predictable and sedative.

but, the new illgorhythm is (to me) a good one.(cause it's pumping)

you could figure the same thing to italian techno too. probably even more so.

KEVIL
04-12-2002, 01:03 PM
Beyer is totally overated, although he has produced some classics...he played in Melbourne recently and I hated his set.

I was also told that the reason that the Swedish stuff sounds all the same is because it is all mastered by the one bloke...fair call.

Moholink, Hardcell and that haven't changed their formular at all...very repeditive.

On other note, Andreas Kraemer and Thomas Pogadl played here last Saturday night...a really nice hard tek set!

gunjack
04-12-2002, 07:30 PM
PAUZE has some very good points.

i gotta say that jel ford and beyer are very good at playing eachothers skinflutes though!

seriously though, beyer is VERY formulaic and entirely overrated.

you know, take some risks!

my $0.02

gunjack

krakp0t
04-12-2002, 08:39 PM
its great scene they've got for such a tiny population up there in sweden. there's only like 100 or so people living there which means that almost everyone either makes techno and works for propellerhead or clavia. what a great place! too bad the food sux ass and the days around this time of year are around 15 min long.

swedes that get a big up:

thomas krome

johan bacto

hardcell

tobias von hofsten

devilfish (back in nyc next week!)

krakp0t
04-12-2002, 08:41 PM
HEADROOM!!!!!

btw, glenn wilson isn't swedish.

lunatrick
04-12-2002, 08:42 PM
I agree that most of these guys hit a formula and then repeat it over and over. I think the problem is that they all release way too much material , some of the london acid techno guys have been guilty of this in the past as well. I'm not sure if this is due to the distributors putting the pressure on, or that they need to keep churning out tunes to make a living - which is fair enough - but surely far better to spend a long time writing something groundbraking and fresh sounding which hopefully will sell more copies, than pumping out sub-standard product which will not be bought by 4 out of 5 potential buyers....because they already have one of that style in their box?

gunjack
04-12-2002, 09:34 PM
glenn wilson is cool as fuk.

05-12-2002, 06:03 AM
yes, i heard thomas got in trouble at the airport!

278d7e64a374de26f==