PDA

View Full Version : Wenger wants refs to ban divers

phantomdj
24-03-2006, 07:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4842424.stm

I made bold, a statement he made which baffles me. what did he actually mean. is it a typo from the bbc site or something? must say i agree with him about banning the divers.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on referees to stamp out diving by suspending guilty players.

Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is the latest Premiership player to be accused of diving in order to get an opposition player sent off.

And Wenger said: "We have to fight it and there is only one way to punish people diving obviously: suspension.

"Once it is in the game it is difficult to get it out. Once a guy knows he might be punished he will not dive."

Wright-Phillips was accused of diving in Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win on Wednesday and Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott was sent off.

"My view without going into any individual case is that we are all as managers to fight against it," Wenger said.

"Sometimes the players dive just because they pushed the ball too far and the only way to get something out of the situation is to dive.

"We are all managers who can never say that one of our players has not dived. Nobody can say that in our league.

"I can say that when my team are not involved I am 100% against it."

Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.

Traxx
24-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Bit of a dubios statement the bit in bold. I agree though they should be banned.

Traxx
24-03-2006, 07:30 PM
dubious*

djfase
24-03-2006, 07:34 PM
:lol:

This guy is a prick.

This coming from a man who plays pires,bergkamp and reyes.

3 of the biggest divers in the league

nick_anarchy
25-03-2006, 04:00 PM
he aint got a clue what hes on about .. he likes to talk about chelsea a lot tho

Will
27-03-2006, 03:21 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4842424.stm

I made bold, a statement he made which baffles me. what did he actually mean. is it a typo from the bbc site or something? must say i agree with him about banning the divers.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has called on referees to stamp out diving by suspending guilty players.

Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips is the latest Premiership player to be accused of diving in order to get an opposition player sent off.

And Wenger said: "We have to fight it and there is only one way to punish people diving obviously: suspension.

"Once it is in the game it is difficult to get it out. Once a guy knows he might be punished he will not dive."

Wright-Phillips was accused of diving in Chelsea's 1-0 FA Cup quarter-final win on Wednesday and Newcastle defender Robbie Elliott was sent off.

"My view without going into any individual case is that we are all as managers to fight against it," Wenger said.

"Sometimes the players dive just because they pushed the ball too far and the only way to get something out of the situation is to dive.

"We are all managers who can never say that one of our players has not dived. Nobody can say that in our league.

"I can say that when my team are not involved I am 100% against it."

Arsenal were at the centre of a diving controversy two seasons ago when midfielder Robert Pires won a penalty against Portsmouth to seal a home draw.

I think he's being honest in that it's hard to be 100% against it when one of your players diving helps your team, especially if it's against some bunch of cunts you can't stand, poetic justice in some cases...

To be honest I think it's the only defence some light weight foreigners have against some of the thugs in the prem, they can't fight fire with fire per se, so they cheat against the cheats in their own way. At least they don't risk injuring people, or worse, try and injure people... It's the thugs that dive as well that get me, they're without doubt the biggest cheats.

phantomdj
28-03-2006, 05:39 PM
It's the thugs that dive as well that get me, they're without doubt the biggest cheats

like drogba...

still reckon robben is the worst cheat in the prem

DJsmallpaul
28-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Refs couldn't ban divers anyway it would have to be the FA that did that ;)

djfase
28-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Gonna be good tonight.

2 teams of divers

278d7e64a374de26f==