PDA

View Full Version : Juan Atkins

Davin
24-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Okay let me firstly just say that this topic isn't about Juan's production, his production speaks for itself, nuff said!!

This is about Juan Atkins the Dj! Every mix I've heard of his has been absolutely terrible, tunes have been good but his technique on the turntables when performing makes me go :oops: just listening!!
In fairness to him i havent heard a mix cd of his where he might have put time and effort into, but regardless I feel for someone with as many years experience as he has and the title he has earned he should be able to put out a good solid mix time after time, I know everyone has off days but Juan must be having an off 21st century cause every mix i've heard just didn't cut it!!

& please post up a mix you feel does the lad justice, I'm dying to hear one! Thanks :cheese:

koma
24-03-2006, 11:25 PM
you dont say!

:cheese:

SlavikSvensk
24-03-2006, 11:36 PM
he is indeed a very bad dj. but hey...people still pay to hear him

MARKEG
25-03-2006, 12:59 AM
well if you create the genre 'techno' then hey, perhaps i'm gonna forget the mixing and listen to the tracks ;)

dan the acid man
25-03-2006, 01:09 AM
well if you create the genre 'techno' then hey, perhaps i'm gonna forget the mixing and listen to the tracks ;)

true, it would be like criticisng enzo ferraris driving when he's created such beautiful cars

The Overfiend
25-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Agreed

djshiva
25-03-2006, 07:00 AM
well if enzo ferrari went crashing into walls every other turn, it would be difficult to admire the previously beautiful, but now rather smashed up cars wouldn't it? ;)

i love me some model 500 and infiniti. great stuff! but trainwrecked all over a set, even the greatest songs can be turned into utter galloping shite. not really the best way to showcase what were once really good tunes. makes it difficult for people to appreciate them when presented badly...

Davin
25-03-2006, 10:09 AM

I agree, and like i said before he's done more then enough to prove his worth production wise, but I get really dissapointed and frustrated listening to the lad mix, It makes me want to kick the b'jaysus out of my system when he's on it! :bash:
I suppose the point i was trying to get across by posting this topic was that someone, who like mark says created a genre of music should surely be able to master the performance of it! :scratch:

Traxx
25-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I wouldnt pay money to see anyone who couldnt mix for shit no matter what he 'created'.

Stodgy
25-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Reputations are difficult to dance to!

rotten
25-03-2006, 10:56 AM
hahahaha davin

you're right he's not really a man for skills..

nice one

eyeswithoutaface
25-03-2006, 02:07 PM
yeah, what you've done in the past shouldnt come into it. A shit dj is a shit dj is a shit dj etc etc etc ...... especially if your shit and you know it, but are still taking people's money for gig's, that's actually a pretty low thing to do

rotten
25-03-2006, 03:24 PM
but that's the way it goes on the market scott, you know that. see pacou: nice productions, lol mixing...

RDR
25-03-2006, 03:38 PM
kinda brings the point that promoters book DJs on the strength of their reputation behind a mixing desk rather than their track (pun intended) record behind the wheels of steel. And who can blame them - making enough money to cover a night is the minimum most promoters want (other than the occasional one who really love what they do...)

Never the less, i agree with the argument, but not the negativity - a fair assessment is whats needed, not a diatribe against the poor fella.

AFAIK there were a lot of techno DJ's coming over here from the states during the early days, and not all of them could DJ either, the electronic music scene had kicked off good n proper in the u.k. and their NAMES and MUSIC were in demand, the live electronic music scene really wasnt as big as it is now (and getting bigger... thank ****) so if the opportunity to DJ came up.. they'd take it. These names seem big, but TBH how much money do we all think was washing around? enough to make all the DJs super rich?.. no.. enough to live off, maybe.

/rant

eyeswithoutaface
25-03-2006, 07:59 PM
but that's the way it goes on the market scott, you know that. see pacou: nice productions, lol mixing...

yeah that's true haha

dan the acid man
25-03-2006, 08:20 PM
good points dodgy, also leads us onto the argument of who's to blame for this then, the promoters for booking them, if the promoters didn't book them, would it make them realise they need to improve their dj'ing skills to get booked ?.

or is it us as punters, who pay to see these people ?

or is it the artists fault ?, i know for me personally im not good enough to play at events where people pay to get in, so i wouldn't accept any of these bookings until i was happy with my skills

huge
12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
In his defence I saw him recently with Jeff Mills in London, and he was wicked. Probably prefered his set to Mills even.

Mindful
12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
haha well that could be a whole nother thread

Mindful
12-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Ill let Mills off for what he tries tho

speed-it-up
19-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I've seen him a couple of times, most recently new year.
He wasn't amazing, but good tunes and no noticable train wreck mixing. I can think of other djs that are a lot worse and still get bookings.

TechMouse
19-04-2006, 04:27 PM
true, it would be like criticisng enzo ferraris driving when he's created such beautiful cars

Bad analogy: Would you pay Enzo Ferrari to be your chauffeur if he was a shit driver, on the strength of the beautiful cars he's created?

TechMouse
19-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt pay money to see anyone who couldnt mix for shit no matter what he 'created'.
Generally agree, but I'd make an exception for Si Begg.

Shocking mixing, but tune selection is second to none.

module
19-04-2006, 07:04 PM
i dont like to hear ANY dj playing so bad he loses mixes & gallups & cant cut..

BUT...

there are certain artists who are producers first. i think theres a vast difference between dj & producer. look at Carl Cox.. outstanding dj, but terrible producer.

its maybe one of those 'necasary evils' i guess

t-dj
22-04-2006, 02:50 PM
seems 2 haters found something to pick on...in a thread about Atkins...

The Divide
23-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I couldnt care if records trainwreak, as long as they are strong records

The Divide
23-04-2006, 12:17 AM
err should rewrite....

I dont give a shit about trainwreaks, gimme a dj who trainwreaks good records over a dj who plays a weak selection of tunes anyday

The whole superstar dj thing bugs me tho but you know whos fault that is? Ours

mat
09-05-2006, 02:41 PM
First, I think Juan as never called himself a DJ and everybody agree
that his skills are not really good; he's much more a selector.
Secondly even if he has now some money back, promoters
asked him to play so why not; he's getting money by playing (badly)
the sound he created ... I've got no problem with that.
Finally, he has good and bad days (like Jeff), I've seen him
rock the party too.

:)

tekara
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
too many haters on this forum

278d7e64a374de26f==