PDA

View Full Version : Selling my 909: AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING?!?

tekara
26-03-2006, 08:51 PM
im thinking of selling my TR-909 so i can use the money to get a quality UAD-1 card. I want that fairchlild compressor badly!

I keep telling myself that im doing the right thing because the 909 is so overly used and samples of it can be found everywhere that i cannot really justify holding on to this unit if i can just use samples.

My rationing is that after i throw sampled drums into effects, nobody can really tell the difference anyways. I dont want to keep this 909 as a trophy piece, but it looks so damn beautiful on my desktop! Yes im shallow!

Im finding the midi clock issue between the machine and cubase is not very accurate, and i dont like the idea of having to program everything into track mode first, whereas in kontakt or redrum i can just simply load samples in on the fly and change banks whenever i want.

God im so torn.

If i sell this, it will be going straight into the purchase of a UAD-1 Studio Pack.

Someone please put me out of my misery.

Mindful
26-03-2006, 09:27 PM
DO IT NOW

tekara
26-03-2006, 10:03 PM
thank god im not the only feeling this way :)

dan the acid man
26-03-2006, 11:38 PM
yeah sell it, i know they look great, but like you say, there's endless 909 samples around

rhythmtech
26-03-2006, 11:52 PM
sample it then sell it.

machina
27-03-2006, 12:20 AM
i disagree.

machina

findthesolution
27-03-2006, 12:28 AM
its only good idea if you sell it to ME!

Evil G
27-03-2006, 02:06 AM
yes yes yes. the uad-1 plugins are simply amazing. the compressors are very rich and warm sounding. the eqs are clean and slick. and the vintage fx are fat as hell.

expect to run about 20 plugs per card if using just the lightweight eqs and compressors, fewer if you run some of the heavier reverbs etc. i've got 2 cards now, but plan to add a 3rd as soon as i have some cash flow again.

auditory hallucinations
27-03-2006, 09:08 AM
i'd hang on to it. once it's gone, it's gone...
honestly, get yourself a copy of Live and watch your 909/pc midi clock woes dissappear

force
27-03-2006, 11:00 AM
i'd hang on to it. once it's gone, it's gone...
honestly, get yourself a copy of Live and watch your 909/pc midi clock woes dissappear

thats what i do ....... its lovely

Nothing better than having a real 909 kik on its own mixer channel to make people hit the ceiling ;)

rhythmtech
27-03-2006, 11:04 AM
or a real 909 sampled on its own channel that you can screw around with while playing live...

909 is lovely and its the foundation of all my tunes buts its not like a 303 or something where its really hard to emulate. half the 909 sounds are onboard samples anyway. basically its a glorified sampler with limited flexibility.. sample it m8 and buy your UAD card.

force
27-03-2006, 11:23 AM
yea, i know what your sayin. At the end of the day, the rules are , there are no rules!

But, i still dont think i could sell my 909, i'd feel weird for years.

Besides, i really like triggering 'Live' from it

rhythmtech
27-03-2006, 11:53 AM
if it was an integral part of your set-up i'd say keep it but by the sounds of it, its not an important part of tekara's.

RDR
27-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Selling it to me would be the best idea ever.... ever. Sell. it. to ME. NOW. to me, sell it. ME.. chris.. ME sell it. NOW.

Cheaply.

tekara
27-03-2006, 09:27 PM
i think im gonna sell it.....I'll be making sure i will make a 1 gigabyte directory of all the samples and their different pitch/decay variations. For now, it seems im fine with samples.

I love the 909, but im finding that its becoming less and less important in my setup, and if i regret my decision, i can always find another one online and buy it.

For now, it seems effects are more important to me, so hopefully i wont regret this decision.

(keeping my fingers crossed)

judas_beast
28-03-2006, 12:22 AM
sell it and get a machinedrum!

loopdon
28-03-2006, 10:51 AM
i think im gonna sell it.....I'll be making sure i will make a 1 gigabyte directory of all the samples and their different pitch/decay variations. For now, it seems im fine with samples.

I love the 909, but im finding that its becoming less and less important in my setup, and if i regret my decision, i can always find another one online and buy it.

For now, it seems effects are more important to me, so hopefully i wont regret this decision.

(keeping my fingers crossed)

i know of two tools that can do this automatically (sampling the machine):

- samplerobot
- samplit

tekara
28-03-2006, 04:03 PM
for mac or pc?

im on mac. thanks anyways m8, i'll be checkin them out.

tekara
28-03-2006, 04:04 PM
hehe

interestingly, ive copied and pasted my original message and posted them up on a couple of other forums.

Wow i have like 60 people screaming down my neck telling me not to sell, saying using the money to buy a computer hardware is a complete waste of money because of the depreciation value of computers.

278d7e64a374de26f==