PDA

View Full Version : hardware connectivity question.

findthesolution
29-03-2006, 11:35 AM
a windfall will be coming my way in a few weeks, and I just wanted to know how I can get this setup to work. Here is a list of the things I want to use:
Live 5, sequencing and conrolled by the following:
Elektron Monomachine
Microkorg
Elektron Machinedrum
Trigger Finger or padKontrol
Novation ReMote

I just want to know if i'm going to need a dedicated midi interface to get all that hooked upto Live, or if I can just chain them all together in a single chain connected to the ReMote.

TechMouse
29-03-2006, 11:46 AM
AFAIK you can only send 16 channels of MIDI data down one chain.

If this is enough for you, then yes you can daisy chain them all together.

Evil G
29-03-2006, 12:35 PM
if you chain them, only one can be the master (sending on an out) and the rest will be connected by thrus, unless some have a function to merge their output with the thru.

if you want to use multiple controllers simultaneously and none of them has a merge, then you will need a midi hub.

findthesolution
29-03-2006, 06:33 PM
will I be able to sequence them on individual midi tracks within Live?

thats pretty much my main concern. the keyboard and midi drum pad would really just be used for reaktor, batter, and kontakt, so controlling the monomachine via midi isnt a big deal, I just want it on its own midi track for effects automation and such.

judas_beast
30-03-2006, 12:15 AM
will I be able to sequence them on individual midi tracks within Live?

thats pretty much my main concern. the keyboard and midi drum pad would really just be used for reaktor, batter, and kontakt, so controlling the monomachine via midi isnt a big deal, I just want it on its own midi track for effects automation and such.

yes, as long as there all connected of course!

incidently, the machinedrum is actually ****ing god!

xfive
30-03-2006, 02:11 AM
You're going to get some bad latency if you try to chain it all together.
I suggest a multiport midi interface such as a motu midixpress 128 or something with less ports even.

stjohn
30-03-2006, 04:34 PM
cool x5

ive been trying to get this going with my korg esx1 and a juno 106.....
ive been using the electribe as the master, but im yet to get the juno synced.

findthesolution
30-03-2006, 06:38 PM
thanks for the help you guys.

now if only I had some help on the credit card payments that i'm going to have to make...

=x

xfive
30-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Don't get me wrong.. you can chain a couple devices together via midi thru... but depending on how many and what etc etc you will definitely start having noticeable (audible) latency after a certain point.

Best is to just use your ears

xfive
30-03-2006, 08:37 PM
This little guy would be great for gigging:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite/

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite/images/lite_front_300.jpg

FIK
02-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Do you use Ableton purely for sequencing midi or for audio as well. In this case you'd be better of with a decent audio/midi interface. Plenty of cheap ones on the market.

findthesolution
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
i dont do any audio stuff, just midi, with the occasional bounce to audio to save CPU.

FIK
03-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Then i'd go with Xfive's advice..... The Motu. However, if you buy a audio-midi interface now it saves you from having to buy one in the future. It's well worth the investment. And I'm pretty sure your Live 5 will perform better.

278d7e64a374de26f==