PDA

View Full Version : The Next Generation 303

MARKEG
29-08-2003, 11:09 PM
OK, so we all know this 303 sound rocks when it rocks. But how can we take this further?

As producers - how do we do something new. How do we we tweak that Freq/Res different? Or is there any way we can add anything to the output of the 303 that is going to take it to a new level?

As listeners - what do you want out of this sound? Why do you hate it? If you love it, what do you love about it?

Let this discussion be about the future. About the positive if we can...

The 303 has been the most powerful sound in the last 20 yr as far as I'm concerned. I think it still has a long way to go.....

Sunil
30-08-2003, 12:31 AM
As listeners - what do you want out of this sound? Why do you hate it? If you love it, what do you love about it?

I love it, the rawness, it's one sound you can pull faces to, there's something very human feeling about the acid sound...i think a lot of what can be done has been done, but the acid sound(If it's good) can still sound amazingly fresh today, that's the beauty of a 303 imo

DJ Corbzy
30-08-2003, 01:39 AM
I like it the way it is, nothing like 4 insane 303's going off at the same time.... :twisted:

Too much acid tho and it's overkill and you get a headache...

Shouldn't this be in the Acid forum Mark?

MARKEG
30-08-2003, 11:42 AM
well i posted it in the london acid techno forum too but this discussion is about 303 in more percussive techno based stuff. rather like the acid tracks label or stuff like that.

wenna
30-08-2003, 11:53 AM
personally i really like the idea of 'double dipped acid', perhaps a subtle acid line on top of a track witha mad as hell acid line bubbling away underneath! 8)

davethedrummer
30-08-2003, 03:06 PM
guys you know what?
i don't want to seem ungrateful or anything like that
but it's a bit weird having an acid techno forum,
i was getting along quite nicely on the hard techno one cos everyone seemed to be putting in their ideas and most of us are into all the different types of techno anyway. plus i've always seen acid (in the non trance sense)
as another form of techno so to me i didn't really matter. maybe everyone else felt there needed to be a distinction between the 2 styles but i didn't really, perhaps with the exception of the more acid trance kind of london stuff. oh i don't know really what i'm saying here, i just felt a little bit snubbed by the techno community here and now i have to go to 2 forums to discuss stuff and what i say in one forum maybe people here won't read and it's relevant to them etc etc etc .

do you see my point? or am i just a whingeing bastard who should be thanking his lucky stars that this forum exists in the first place.

anyway on the topic of acid (the 303) the sound is still really useful in lots of ways and it still crops up in lot's of good records usually as a bassline which in my opinion is what it's good for.
layering different riffs with different eqs and filter settings can get dramatic effects ala drumcode 26
sampling and digitising all does fun things
itt's a very malliable sound but one that tends to retain it's integrity so when you hear it you go
" thats a 303!"

like it or hate it
it IS the original techno bassline generator.

Col
30-08-2003, 06:04 PM
do you see my point? or am i just a whingeing bastard who should be thanking his lucky stars that this forum exists in the first place.

both :lol:

1. i see your point, id rather have just the 1 techno section, because i appreciate all forms of techno, and it would save me having to delve into all 3 catogries.

2. yes, you are a whinging bastard, as am i, we are very lucky that this very forum exists.

maybe you or i should have posted a new thread.

Col
30-08-2003, 06:10 PM
right back to the original subject:

i like the 303 when its subtle, im not a big fan of the big growling grizzly bear in yer face type 303 (although i have bought a few tracks similar to this sound in the past)

as for taking the 303 forward, ive said it before, and i'll say it again, i dont think we can predict innovation, it just happens.

wenna
30-08-2003, 06:49 PM
i'd agree! both forums have seemed abit weird lately! :?

MARKEG
30-08-2003, 06:53 PM
any more ppl think the same?

Esox Lucius
30-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I love the 303 in early house & early techno, but I'm not really into all out screaming 303 tracks like some of the london boys have done in the past.

miromiric.
30-08-2003, 06:59 PM
i just heard ruskin s set playin old acid which i think is really cheesy. screaming acid which develops a lot through track.
personally i have never been into acid but i know few really good acid tunez, minimal sounding, just pumping from the inside, like one ben sims` theory or planetary assault system funktion ??.

wenna
30-08-2003, 07:02 PM
planetary assult system :D :D :D

Esox Lucius
30-08-2003, 07:11 PM
planetary assult system :D :D :D

aye some of slater's stuff is sick.

DJMAYA
30-08-2003, 11:51 PM
as soon as things get squelchy i turn off!

i like it as a low subtle bass line or used in the fat dubstyles tech trax....

and as forr the original...experiment 4 on suf by a&e dept sums it up for me!!!

Patrick DSP
31-08-2003, 01:06 AM
I'm really in love with my Future Retro 777

It does 303 sounds but takes it so much further!!!

www.future-retro.com

Adverse
31-08-2003, 03:48 AM
http://www.patrickdsp.com/sp2.jpg = gay

Adverse
31-08-2003, 03:49 AM
:P

Adverse
31-08-2003, 03:50 AM
that was so worth my 1000th post :) love you pat.

Patrick DSP
31-08-2003, 05:43 PM
yer such a cunt marky mark.

lol

Antinoise
31-08-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm really in love with my Future Retro 777

It does 303 sounds but takes it so much further!!!

www.future-retro.com

MMMMM.. yes.. My 777 can sound like a 303.. but a few twists of the knob and it morphs into the sound of a tin can trying to kill my cat.

Doesn't get much better than that.

They just went out of production. Only 700 made. Classic piece of gear unknown to many.

-G

ampassasinbirmingham
31-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Phraselab (http://www.roland.co.uk/auddemo/Broadband/mc09.wmv)

is it worth getting one of these?

acid-project
08-09-2003, 04:24 PM
wouldnt it be nice if someone had the time to make very complex, layered, storylike, kinda like a funky ambience, without the raw punk aspect of reglar acid techno and not too tribal sounding either. ' intelligent ' acid, excuse the pun, but start a scence ala what bukem did with his slant on dnb.

T
08-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I really like how hawtin used the 303 in his plasikman productions, trax like do da do and the muzik album. 303 master imo. I know there's sooo much more and many people have used it well in different ways, but he's used it just how i like it.
As a listener i still fins it being used to good effect in various styles of techno but not sure how to improve the kind of sounds i mentioned above. Bit like a guitar i suppose, if used well, it will always be great to hear even though you've heard it loads before.

caustic
22-09-2003, 05:24 AM
rite u lot...this is what i think of your 303 sound....

i think the 303 sound is wicked...if
1.u have a huge funky bassline ( like aciddisco)
2. u come bac after the breakdown and continue to peak out the 303 instead of dropping it then building it up again...1 of my pet peeves on really good acid techno tunes...kind of a anticlimax.( bac to the roots like access!)
3. u have a phat strong hard 303 riff...none of that psy soft wavey ts404 sound.
4. u send me your promos!so i can play some good acid techno b4 anyone else.

303 power
aciddisco
london acid city
propaganda 303
mad cows on acid
the tune with the sample..'the devil inside haunts u with a flashbac'-anyone remixed this lately?

this sorta shit man....

278d7e64a374de26f==