PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO DJ (PROPERLY)

Col
31-08-2003, 08:37 PM
how many of you peeps have bought this book?

i got it a couple of months ago, and i have to say its pretty impressive, very well detailed, and explains everything surrounding the dj & more, and, i actually picked up a few things while reading it, which is unusual for a dj book. the only groan i have is the tips throughout the book, could have come from some "proper" dj's

a must for any dj.

wenna
31-08-2003, 09:22 PM
does it still cost 40# or something rediculous like that??

Col
31-08-2003, 10:39 PM
£14.99- its worth it, wenna

DJ Corbzy
31-08-2003, 10:43 PM
i'd rather play the way i do...i like the idea of learning as you go along..

Col
31-08-2003, 10:58 PM
its not the technical side of things i bought it for, it goes a lot further than that.

although i must admit i am technically shit :D

wenna
01-09-2003, 10:54 AM
wow! htfr used to sell it for 40 quid!!!

Addict
01-09-2003, 11:42 AM
I think its wrong to bring out a book on this, what happened to the knowledge being passed on by friends who DJ or simply learning yourself, although I suppose they do books and courses on production which I have bought myself, is it different?...

Col
01-09-2003, 12:09 PM
I think its wrong to bring out a book on this, what happened to the knowledge being passed on by friends who DJ or simply learning yourself, although I suppose they do books and courses on production which I have bought myself, is it different?...

exactly there is nothing wrong with sharing our knowledge & expieriences,
its how we learn to evolve.

wenna
01-09-2003, 01:05 PM
i like to think that mark eg and the producer tought me to mix through their mixtapes. they,ve both got proper class!! :P

Voorheez
01-09-2003, 06:15 PM
If people are all going to learn from books or courses, then they're all going to sound exactly the same anyway, so it'll make an individual stand out more!

Addict
01-09-2003, 06:16 PM
If people are all going to learn from books or courses, then they're all going to sound exactly the same anyway, so it'll make an individual stand out more!

nail on the head me thinks

cascade
01-09-2003, 08:48 PM
how many of you peeps have bought this book?

i got it a couple of months ago, and i have to say its pretty impressive, very well detailed, and explains everything surrounding the dj & more, and, i actually picked up a few things while reading it, which is unusual for a dj book. the only groan i have is the tips throughout the book, could have come from some "proper" dj's

a must for any dj.

right on.
ive had this book for a year, its pretty knowlegdeable,
i really like it, better than reading barry potter

Col
01-09-2003, 10:18 PM

like i said, its not the technical side of things i bought it for.

check it out, have a look through it.

Adverse
01-09-2003, 10:38 PM
lol

DJ Corbzy
02-09-2003, 12:50 AM
The course I'm doing this year teaches DJ technology...

Should be a laugh...

Be quite funny when hes there trying to tell me how to pitch up and everything and I do it all myself and cream a mix or sumfing...

Beginners luck... :lol:

Col
02-09-2003, 12:53 AM
The course I'm doing this year teaches DJ technology...

Should be a laugh...

Be quite funny when hes there trying to tell me how to pitch up and everything and I do it all myself and cream a mix or sumfing...

Beginners luck... :lol:

whats the course title corbz? is it full-time?

DJ Corbzy
02-09-2003, 12:54 AM
BTEC National Diploma Music Tech @ Weymouth College

Barely Human
02-09-2003, 03:11 AM
BTEC National Diploma Music Tech

Snap :D

DJ Corbzy
02-09-2003, 03:13 AM
we can compare homework, I'm getting Jon the Baptist to do mine.... :lol: :D

dj vorny
02-09-2003, 02:15 PM
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :P

Voorheez
02-09-2003, 06:50 PM

Still though, it doesn't really appeal to me, because I want to do it all in my own individual style - that's what gets you noticed. Even when it comes to promotion etc, I still want to be individual.

Col
02-09-2003, 09:53 PM

Still though, it doesn't really appeal to me, because I want to do it all in my own individual style - that's what gets you noticed. Even when it comes to promotion etc, I still want to be individual.

fair enough, but maybe thats a good reason to buy the book, otherwise how do you know that your individualism isnt being touted elsewhere.

DJ Corbzy
02-09-2003, 11:49 PM

fair enough, but maybe thats a good reason to buy the book, otherwise how do you know that your individualism isnt being touted elsewhere.

very good point col...

T
03-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Not used books before just kind of learnt myself really using shit decks gradually getting better ones and messing about with mates. Perhaps this book could teach me a thing or 2????

Voorheez
03-09-2003, 06:15 PM

No-one is going to be exactly like me though- I think thats quite a bizarre point! I wouldn't change what I do because of someone else doing it anyhow, for exactly the same reason that I wouldn't be interested in buying this book - other people don't influence my actions, I do my own thing.

Col
03-09-2003, 07:14 PM
other people don't influence my actions

im sure they do, i am influenced every second of my life, and so is everybody else in my opinion. every decision both you & i make is influenced by the past.

you must of been influenced by another person in some manner to purchase some dj equipment. in fact everything you have ever seen, touched, smelt, heard etc has contributed in some form to you purchasing that dj equipment.

Voorheez
04-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Nope, the music did.

DJ Pearcey
04-09-2003, 07:07 PM
how to dj properly by pearcey

beat match 2 vinyl
interact with the crowd
play decent tunes

there you go, I might right my own book you know!!

eyes without a face
06-09-2003, 07:50 PM
i imagine it would be a good read but i dont believe that it could make u a better dj in any way. There is no substitute for just getting on your decks and slamming some records together

Col
06-09-2003, 10:24 PM
other people don't influence my actions

im sure they do, i am influenced every second of my life, and so is everybody else in my opinion. every decision both you & i make is influenced by the past.

you must of been influenced by another person in some manner to purchase some dj equipment. in fact everything you have ever seen, touched, smelt, heard etc has contributed in some form to you purchasing that dj equipment.

voorheez said:
Nope, the music did.

what i said was based on fact rather than opinion.

who makes that music? i know for sure that it doesnt make itself.

peoples thoughts, expieriences, and influences are put into music, thats what makes music. how can you beg to differ? to say you are not influenced by any people whatsoever is ridiculous! so you have never been influenced by any dj? or is it just the music again? djs play the records you hear dont they?

Voorheez
07-09-2003, 12:17 PM
You're being pretty ambiguos and stretching it all a little m8 aren't you...!

I think you know what I meant - that other people don't make a difference in what I choose to do, they don't influence my ACTIONS - not that no-one in the world influences upon me or ever has done, of course they have - but when it comes to performing an action or making a decision I don't let the opinion of others form any part of my action/decision.

My new Cd will be here real soon, make sure you grab a copy from me then tell me if my mixing sounds like anyone elses' that you've ever heard.

what i said was based on fact rather than opinion

Where did you get that quote from? I like it!

Col
07-09-2003, 12:41 PM
You're being pretty ambiguos and stretching it all a little m8 aren't you...!

I think you know what I meant - that other people don't make a difference in what I choose to do, they don't influence my ACTIONS - not that no-one in the world influences upon me or ever has done, of course they have - but when it comes to performing an action or making a decision I don't let the opinion of others form any part of my action/decision.

My new Cd will be here real soon, make sure you grab a copy from me then tell me if my mixing sounds like anyone elses' that you've ever heard.

what i said was based on fact rather than opinion

Where did you get that quote from? I like it!

ok mate, i get what you mean, i am getting a little too deep. id like to think that others dont influence my actions either.

i cant wait to here your new cd voorheez :wink: for one i havent heard much hardstyle, and i support innovation, i think its very important, and im glad you do too.

infact can you make sure i get a copy? (i know im bit of a cheeky bastard)

PS i didnt get that qoute from anywhere, im an individual! :wink: :lol:

Voorheez
07-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Yeah no worries m8. It's all ready to go, just gotta design the cover and get it all made and we're in business 8)

Col
07-09-2003, 08:34 PM
its all good mate, looking forward to it :wink:

Dave Elyzium
24-04-2005, 04:46 PM

nail on the head me thinks

bollox its impossible not to put your own stamp on soemthing.....so every guitarist that learnt from a chord book or instructional vid will sound the same?

once you learned beat matching all you can do is add your own style.

Addict
25-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Jeez this post is old, WTF?

Dave Elyzium
25-04-2005, 11:38 AM
oops didnt mean to drag this one up again hahaha should check my dates next time :oops:

Agent 24
13-05-2005, 12:31 PM
It's a helpful book if, like me, you taught yourself to mix and want to check if you're doing the right things. I wish I'd got it years ago...

S/E
31-05-2005, 02:40 AM
i like to think that mark eg and the producer tought me to mix through their mixtapes. they,ve both got proper class!! :P

Rowland the Bastard and Chris Liberator made mixtapes that helped teach me to mix. Its a great way to learn....and you can do it from the best DJs there are!

dan the acid man
31-05-2005, 11:59 AM
yes you can learn alot by listening to mixes, also watching other people mix is always helpful, i would say though, most dj's learnt how to mix by themselves, but reading a book maybe helpful to some

DJTrubass
31-05-2005, 02:59 PM
i was give this book when i was about 14/15, quite a good read, dosent just teach you how to dj but gives you loads of infomation about the whole experiance of being a dj,

i think it was worth the read, it hardly changed my own style of djing dont see how some can say id rather teach myself, if you dont know what beat matching means how can you?

when i was 13 i hardly had a clue on what dj even ment i just saw some one do it at an under 18s club and brough myself a pair, 4 years later, im now the dj

# :cool:

Dj_Tyronnster
12-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Well I have kinda tought myself,

Have read stuff on recess.net but mostly self tought

WEZ
13-07-2005, 03:15 PM
in the ideal world of clubs yeah this books great !

djing in a dive well , all goes out the window really ! :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==