PDA

View Full Version : Powercore Reverb - Hardware vs DSP (Powercore or UAD users)

Antinoise
02-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Anyone here have experience with the powercore reverb? They say its taken from the engine of the M5000. .. Which, is a pretty big claim! Is it truly as good as a 3k piece of hardware?

My thought process at this point is to get a Powercore and a UAD-1 and forgo any more outboard (efx) purchases for the moment. I can always fill in the holes with more hardware later (Instead of selling everything when I learn they are the s**t)..'

Does anyone (with experience) have any thoughts on these cards vs real outboard efx in building a professional studio. I have an efx loop set up, but it’s just so much easier if its in a VST type format. Not to mention that you can multiply the effect to across many channels with a DSP card vs just one for a piece of hardware.

Where do these cards shine.. where will they fall short?

Anyone?

Basil Rush
02-09-2003, 02:27 PM
UAD reverb sounded lovely to me, the problem with it was a latency issue. You are looking at a minium pre-delay of 2x ASIO buffer size. Now at the time my ASIO buffer was as big as the grand canyon and it was a very annoying configuration, assuming you have an ASIO buffer delay in the region of 1-5ms this card might very well do a lot for you.

Not heard the powercore reverb mind you so couldn't compare with that ...

I did however find the compressors frightenly close to the real things on the UAD card, well frighteningly close to the LA4 in terms of compression and effect on the tonal balance of the sound ... well impressive.

So sound quality wise, generally top notch, problem wise might be computer issues / driver issues and latency issues

DJZeMig_L
02-09-2003, 09:58 PM
It's claimed that the new SX 2 will do proper delay compensation... as in possibly almost eliminate any.... if this is true and if it works for all plug ins or only the ones runing from the PC's cpu... is still not clear.

Don't know if u r an sx user but though it might mater 2 keep an eye 4 it...
Basil I don't think u r an sx user though.

Z

RichieV
03-09-2003, 01:37 AM
I use the UAD card

It does'nt sound as nice as a high end lexicon but for 1000 , i think it is a great deal. The compressors rock and the reverb is at par with waves r verb.

If you are on a budget , i think the UAD is a great purchase.
To give you an example of its power , i had a track with 24 eq strips , 6 compressors and 2 reverbs all powered by the card so no host cpu needed.

RichieV
03-09-2003, 01:38 AM
as far as the delay , there are ways around it. IT is tricky but you get the idea real quick

Antinoise
03-09-2003, 10:41 AM
UAD reverb sounded lovely to me

Actually, that’s my main reason in wanting the Powercore as well as the UAD. (Well, the reverb + Sony EQ’s). From all reports, the reverb on the powercore kills the UAD. That said, Mackie is developing another reverb which is no doubt an answer to powercore’s.

……. the problem with it was a latency issue. You are looking at a minium pre-delay of 2x ASIO buffer size. Now at the time my ASIO buffer was as big as the grand canyon and it was a very annoying configuration, assuming you have an ASIO buffer delay in the region of 1-5ms this card might very well do a lot for you.

I have a Lynx Two coming. Runs at 5/6ms very well. I was going to get an RME for this reason.. but the converters on the Lynx are top notch.

It's claimed that the new SX 2 will do proper delay compensation... as in possibly almost eliminate any.... if this is true and if it works for all plug ins or only the ones runing from the PC's cpu... is still not clear.

Don't know if u r an sx user but though it might mater 2 keep an eye 4 it...
Basil I don't think u r an sx user though.Z

Yes I’m Cubase. Hopefully all the timing bugs will be worked out. My downfall might be in trying to set up a system link with another computer. It will be an experiment with latency and whatnot. I’ve heard people having success in such a setup (System Link+UAD). If Cubase sx2 is all it claims.. there should be no issues. If it’s not working then I can kill that plan. One CPU with UAD and a Powercore will be quite a monster in itself.

278d7e64a374de26f==