PDA

View Full Version : Tribal Pants - Honeey

Honeey
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm back to making techno after a long ambient break and exploring the improv live set end of things...this is some kind of tribal trip :)

http://www.honeeymustard.com/TribalPants1_ElaineD.mp3

Mindful
12-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Cant realy comment on production at this moment but tune wise....
Style wise not realy my bag and I was waiting for it to kick in maybe and it didnt seem too.
But I did like how it sounds quite restraind and the way it just works the groove, digging this voice that comes in every now and then.
Im sure it would work in the right context but as i said not my bag :)

Honeey
15-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Hey thanks for the cool feedback it's got me thinkin....adding another subtle building element may be nice :)

xfive
16-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah I think some other extra percussive element could push it along a bit better. Sounds like the arpeggiated bassy part is clashing with the kick a bit. Try eqing the bass to sit with it better. Also watch the panning on the middy drum on the left. the mix seems a little unbalanced with nothing to complement it frequency wise on the right side.

MARKEG
20-04-2006, 03:30 PM
i think tribal shit in here is a little ott.. would take that out and try a few other ideas imho. nice round kick though and some good stuff in here.

;)

dan the acid man
20-04-2006, 08:00 PM
some nice ideas, the rhythm sounds a little stiff though, needs a bit of swing to it to loosen it up a bit, i'd also add some variations to tha hat patterns, as it's a little repetetive

dirty_bass
20-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I kinda agree with points above.
To really get the tribal thing down, just using tribal drum sounds isn`t enough.
You need to capture the live, swing and shuffle of tribal percussion to make it really effective.
I like the whole laid back feel of this.
Production wise this sounds a little too top heavy, and the kick could do with just a little more volume.

Honeey
21-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all of the intelligent, useful advise... awesome. I have listened and gave this a working over. Here's a link to the new version:

http://www.honeeymustard.com/TribalPants1a_ElaineD.mp3

Yeah I think some other extra percussive element could push it along a bit better. Sounds like the arpeggiated bassy part is clashing with the kick a bit. Try eqing the bass to sit with it better. Also watch the panning on the middy drum on the left. the mix seems a little unbalanced with nothing to complement it frequency wise on the right side.

Yes less decay and a bit of an eq on the bass seems to have helped.
The panning on the mid drum was too much off to the left...fixed that...good ear.

i think tribal shit in here is a little ott.. would take that out and try a few other ideas imho. nice round kick though and some good stuff in here.

;)

The tribal has been tamed :rambo: :lol: by replacing the drum samples with different ones I like it a lot better now...and thank you :)

some nice ideas, the rhythm sounds a little stiff though, needs a bit of swing to it to loosen it up a bit, i'd also add some variations to tha hat patterns, as it's a little repetetive

Changed the hi hat patterns around a bit and added a subtle tribal hi hat pattern and left the rhythm of it a bit off.

I kinda agree with points above.
To really get the tribal thing down, just using tribal drum sounds isn`t enough.
You need to capture the live, swing and shuffle of tribal percussion to make it really effective.
I like the whole laid back feel of this.
Production wise this sounds a little too top heavy, and the kick could do with just a little more volume.

Addition of new tribal hi hat percussion to help loosen up the beats a bit. Toned down the hi hats and added another kick drum to make it fuller sounding....thank you :)

See if I can think of anything else...

278d7e64a374de26f==