PDA

View Full Version : Decent result for Arsenal

Will
20-04-2006, 02:28 AM
Bit surprised no-one's mentioned it, someone usually has...

We could and should have scored more goals I think, but at least we didn't concede an away goal and having had 9 consecutive clean sheets thus far in the CL I think it's a decent result. Especially since they only progressed past Rangers and Inter on the away goals rule - and we're unbeaten thus far in the CL having only failed to win one away game (when we had a 2 goal advtage). And I'm pretty sure we haven't conceded any goals away from home in the CL this season, thus far at least.

And to think the Sky commentators said it'll be a nervy game ib Spain, there's no reason to think the players will be nervous based on the games up 'til now, nor should they be, the commentators etc talked some crap really. Making a bigger deal of their possible penalty appeal (when there's no gurantee's they'd have scored) than our cast iron goal that was wrongly disallowed. And they tried to talk up the possibility of us messing it up all match, the knob heads. But still.

I'm pretty happy with that, Villlareal created little if anything and Reyes should be back for the next game. I was a bit surprised Wenger took off Freddie and Hleb for Van Persie and Bergkamp though, the former gave us width and caused them a lot of problems, whereas the latter two lack real pace and gave us little width. It would have made more sense to bring on Bergkamp for Pires say, and play him in behind Henry, where he belongs, but still, can't complain!

Esox Lucius
20-04-2006, 06:51 AM
pretty good result, i can't see villareal turning you over in the next leg.

Numeric
20-04-2006, 09:57 AM
good result for Arse yes, don't write off Villareal just yet though, they're a good side and anything can happen, should be an entertaining return leg...

french_og
20-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I think Arsenal will win 1-0 in Spain also, Villareal are well organised and stopped Arsenal playing their game but they never really threatened. The only worry in Spain for Arsenal will be a moment of Magic from Riquelme as there stikers don't really cuase Arsenal any problems.

I don't think the Commentaters were bad towards Arsenal Will, they merely stated Arsenal did not play as well as they could of and yes it was a defo Penalty but they also said that Arsenal should of had the other goals.

dee
20-04-2006, 12:06 PM
yeah , i think the arse will win too, i think villareal will make it difficult though!!!! :cool:

Numeric
20-04-2006, 12:48 PM
did Diego play last night?

french_og
20-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah he did, he worked hard but never did too much although he did not get great service but Arsenals defence played well also. He could do with a good strike parter with him who holds the ball up as Jose Maria is not that good.

french_og
20-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Also the ref was brilliant last night(apart from the penalty decision) He did not take any play acting from anyone. The linesman who terible as Will might agree having 2 goals disallowed.

Will
20-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that! As for the commentators, I meant more about them talking up the possibility of us throwing it away when we never looked like doing so, saying we'll be nervy in Spain when there's no eason to think we will be and saying we didn't create much then realsiing they were talking out their arse when they saw the highlights of what we created.

Will
20-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Obviously it's not over yet of course, but I reckon we can go there and win. I hoped the tie would have been dead and buried after the first game, but still, having seen how they fared against us etc I'm content with the 1-0.

djfase
20-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah good result, but shouldnt the arse have finished it?

The tie could have been over if their finishing was better

Will
20-04-2006, 07:26 PM
True, but that's Arsenal for you, they're rarely that clinical in front of goal. Though I suppose most fans think their teams aren't as clinical as they might be!

french_og
20-04-2006, 11:14 PM
I think though Will the commentators do not want to get too carried away as the score in reality is only 1-0 and anything can still happen and I suppose they have to try to stay neutral on TV, can't see Arsenal throwing it away but stranger things have happened.

Is Ashley Cole gonna get his place back if he get his fitness back - that lad Flamini hasn't put a foot wrong!

jam
21-04-2006, 06:14 PM
come on the Arsenal

Will
22-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah, Flamini's done really well and is looking a class player now, I think Cole would give us a bit more when fully fit at left back though!

278d7e64a374de26f==