PDA

View Full Version : tedious times using acid

Col
03-09-2003, 09:32 PM
quite a few people love this program, i on the other hand despise it. it all stems from having to use it for a college assignment earlier in the year, i had to produce a "proffesional sounding track" consisting of at least 10 samples, using both acid & soundforge. soundforge for me, is an exellent piece of software, and my choice of audio editor. acid on the other hand is the worst piece of music software availible.

many say that acid is great for getting things done quickly, i strongly disagree, it took me about 4 months to make the shittest 3 min track known to man. having decided to use one hit samples (to try & make the assignment as creative as possible, i found myself with many problems, having to zoom in 3000 times to place down one single one hit sample and then zoom back again, and then to repeat that 32 times(and thats not considering changes in rythmn) is not my idea of working quickly. having to do this with 10 different samples is definatley not my idea of working quickly.

the track marker at one point wouldnt go further than somewhere around 2 mins, it wasnt until i was told that you had to copy samples at the very end of the track marker to visably see/enter the next section of the track that i could continue, after about month of thinking how the fu*k am i supposed to continue with this assignment?. there were other problems too, which i cant remember at this moment in time(believe me, its an expierience i want to forget! believe me, i nearly launched my head through the college monitors on several occasions)

if anything, acid showed me how fortunate i am to have cubase.

to assist my track within the assignment i had to write about the wonderful piece of music i had produced, within 90% of that written work, i showed my discontent for the program big time, much was my fury, i risked failing the course, due to excessive bad language throughout.

beyond acid's pitchshifting capabilities i dont see any reason for its existance. its without doubt, the most tedious piece of music software alive.

acid is an evil a bastard!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

opinions? :roll:

log:one
03-09-2003, 10:46 PM
yeah ive never really been that into acid either...

although to be fair it really is more intended for loops isnt it?

but having said that even the timestretching is pretty shady sometimes... id much rather cut up the loops in something like recycle.

DJZeMig_L
04-09-2003, 04:42 AM
Never donne much work on it since around v2 or something like that...

Maybe Mark can shed some light into the subject has he is a power user...

I dare say though that MAYBE u might have missed a few very usefull options like the snap specially for copy and pasting/ repeating sections etc...!?!? sorry if I was totally off :oops:

Z

djTequila
04-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Once you get your head around bounce and split Acid really comes into its own...

Don't use it *much* now, but It's great for getting samples in time, or quickly chopping up percussive loops and rearranging them D&B style. Or prototyping loopz and beatz.

I wouldn't call it 'evil' as I've had some great times with it. I've also had some sh*t ones, but that came from not reading the manual! :roll:

A friend of mine just used it as a mastering/track EQing program to bring his Reason track up to scratch. The result was clear, clean and professional sounding.

T*

278d7e64a374de26f==