PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Skoog producing minimal!!!!!!!!!

bayley
26-04-2006, 01:44 AM
im listening to the new BOA show and just heard Patricks new tune. Although i havent really heard loads of his old stuff, i have certainly heard enough to know i loved his productions. they were always brain shakers!!! hard and well produced, so i was very surprised to hear the minimality (if thats a real word) of his new track.

until tonight, i have been less than impressed with minimal offerings, but this tune really drew me in.. the sounds he uses are so infectious, and it builds beautifully with so many layers!!!

i can see why people like the minimal sound, but what i have heard up until now has really lacked feeling (for me)

Anyway, love the darkness of this track and cant wait to hear more releases by patrick under this Alias.

what are your views on this sound of Skoog (and minimal in general)??

id be interested to hear peoples opinion of the sound..

Bayley

Si the Sigh
26-04-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm still very unsure of what to think of Skoogs mnml productions at the moment. Well, i'm not really. They still sound fat as fu*k, just a tad boring to me. I'd rather he was producing the stadium sized sounds if im honest.

oldbugger
26-04-2006, 08:17 AM
love em

dirty_bass
26-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Can`t stand it, but if that`s where he wants to be musically, then fair play to him, at least he seems to understand the music.
I find minimal about as interesting and as lively as a pencil.

speed-it-up
26-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Loved the recent Skoog track on Mastertrax (can't remember title) backed with a Glen Wilson track. Can anyone recommend me any other similar Skoog productions as this is a sound I would like to play out more.

Si the Sigh
26-04-2006, 01:27 PM
You'll be wanting to look for his older releases then mate. Go to www.discogs.com type in Patrik Skoog and take your pick.

koma
26-04-2006, 01:31 PM
doh
one more mnml topic

koma
26-04-2006, 01:33 PM
btw
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/portal/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=48646

ps. i like some mnml here and there
can be great for warm ups

davethedrummer
27-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Can`t stand it, but if that`s where he wants to be musically, then fair play to him, at least he seems to understand the music.

2nd on that

Dorian Hunter
27-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Although I`m not into this sound, it shows the big talent of Patrik.
I just hope he will continue to produce phat-banging shit as well, I still have stuff like Horizonte or his Release on Real session in my case. Also "Body drum" on Unknown forces is one of my alltime favs, wikid track.

man_d
27-04-2006, 12:50 PM

2nd on that

Yup, me too unfortunately. :(

Numeric
27-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Skoog's one of the best techno producers period...

feelin his new more minimal productions and mixes but also hope that he doesn't abandon the harder edged stuff totaly...

Si the Sigh
27-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Be nice if he produced the odd banger every now and again... :)

dirty_bass
27-04-2006, 04:32 PM
When it comes back into fashion, I`m sure he`ll be back doing bangers.

Lag
27-04-2006, 04:40 PM
^what he said
i hate the fact people all jump on the same bandwagon
what happened to being original, doing your thing?

DrewDavid
27-04-2006, 05:03 PM
So, if he were to release more hard techno, he would "be doing his own thing"? Please. The only way to be truly original would be to release something that no one would want to listen to.

Lag
27-04-2006, 07:59 PM
ok so ure in school and the popular boys starts pissing at another boy
so everybody thinks "hey, this is in!" and they start pissing at each other.
pissing different color than others doesnt make you original. pissing while dancing is better. shitting urself and throwing it at other boys IS original.

dirty_bass
27-04-2006, 08:30 PM
hahaha
that is one of the strangest analogies ever.

dan the acid man
27-04-2006, 08:35 PM
hahaha
that is one of the strangest analogies ever.

haha, wasn't it just, too much piss and shit really :lol:

The Overfiend
27-04-2006, 11:16 PM
pissing different color than others doesnt make you original. pissing while dancing is better. shitting urself and throwing it at other boys IS original.

Piss at me and I'll punch ya right in your eye.

The Overfiend
27-04-2006, 11:17 PM

Piss at me and I'll punch ya right in your eye.

After you're done pissing of course.
Wouldn't want to dodge whizz.

dirty_bass
27-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I think essentially. There`s more opportunity to release in the minimal area, so I can see how a lot of people would move over to it.
However in the long run committing to one sub genre along with everyone else just secures the rinsing of it.
It`s a bit of a catch 22 situation, it would be nice if more people were just more diverse in their ouitput, and techno went back to becoming a big melting pot of dance based futuristic music, however, trends and the market do drive things to an extent.
Money always screws things up.
But what can you do.

Numeric
27-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Skoog has earned the right to take whatever path he feels...

the track featured on the last BOA Radio show is phat, lookin forward to hearing more of this kind of stuff from the man...

Patrik
28-04-2006, 12:15 AM
I think essentially. There`s more opportunity to release in the minimal area, so I can see how a lot of people would move over to it.
However in the long run committing to one sub genre along with everyone else just secures the rinsing of it.
It`s a bit of a catch 22 situation, it would be nice if more people were just more diverse in their ouitput, and techno went back to becoming a big melting pot of dance based futuristic music, however, trends and the market do drive things to an extent.
Money always screws things up.
But what can you do.

Jesus what a weird topic, what are you talking about. When did we have a meeting and I told you about my big agenda in musicmaking? I can't understand why you want to add to some discussion about me being a trendchaser or something. This you say about wishing techno would go back to being more of a melting pot of interesting dancemusic and people, well at the moment this actually is the first time in years I feel that is actually the case! Stop being so negative and go on with other music you actually like (I remember you had some good taste) And, if there actually is people that listen to certain genres of music simply because they are in fashion, well wouldn't that just make them sad asshats not worthy of any discussion?

:)

dirty_bass
28-04-2006, 01:49 AM
sorry that last thing was about the scene in general.
Kinda wondered off topic into some kinda philosophical shit.

dirty_bass
28-04-2006, 01:59 AM
I still think there`s not really a melting pot going on.
Things have become more fenced and divided.
I think it`s about accessability and lazyness inherant in culture.

everything we want is at our fingertips.
people just want their vanilla milkshake and they can get it, so why even try another flavour?
So it means that people focus more and more on just the very narrow field of what they like at the time, because they can get it easily.

So what I mean is that, people into one type of techno, just shut down in some cases, and will only listen to that techno, not looking over the wall to see what else is going on.

It does put pressure on labels and artists to a certain extent, because I think most producers would like to access as many people as possible, so therefor there is a kind of pressure to move with trends in a way. Especially those that have been in the game for longer and have more to lose.
I`ve looked long at hard at things myself, and thought about moving my output to more glitchy minimal, but I then changed my mind as the motivation bothered me.
This isn`t pointed at pat, but more about how things have happened in general.
But in the same breath it happens in all forms of music, like the grunge explosion in the 90`s and the recent crunk thing in hip hop.

I`m not sure what point I`m making now.

Maybe it`s that it seems people are less willing to take risks musically.

Dustin Zahn
28-04-2006, 05:20 AM
I agree with Patrik to a certain extent. I feel the music is now more of a melting pot than in recent times but the scene does have a way to go. I'm extremely bored with the weird, clicky, bloopy, villalobos/jay haze type minimal techno out there...but some of the stuff that gets grouped in with minimal is amazing and far from it. Mathew Jonson does some amazing musical tracks that can't really be grouped into any genre. Ame does some great stuff ranging from house to trancey techno. Alif Tree's single from his LP features a jazz track that plays like a techno track. Locodice's upcoming "Seeing Through the Shadows" on M_Nus is a great track featuring a nice piano workout perfect for the summer afternoons. There is plenty of good post-acid electrohouse coming out of Germany that is just as gritty as any hard techno tracks out there. Now this stuff isn't always my bag and I prefer not to play it too much in a live setting, but I will say it's got much more attitude, character, style, and identity than any hard techno I'm hearing at the moment.

Patrik
28-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I agree with what you both are saying in ways, but Steve I think all in all most music released feels pretty redundant, and that's the way it is in all genres of music. I think it's pretty obvious that it will always be difficult to find good stuff, and that's probably good. Anyway, at the moment I don't feel like there's a new "sound" that people are jumping on too fast, and hence will kill it too fast - instead I think that right now we have a really cool mix of techno, I can hear influences from everything from Frankie Knuckles to Mika Vaimio to Mills and I think the word minimal is a pretty unfit label to put on it. People would hear someone playing some Pokerflat or Border community and go "ah, anotherone playing minimal techno". Not that I wouldn't play some stuff on either of those labels though - that's my problem I suppose, I like too much dancemusic. Zahn saying he had enough of 'the blippy Jay Haze stuff' I think I heard before and it's still crazy - but Dirty, if you go and seriously check out some Contexterrior records, couldn't you dig it? -I knew that you could! -And for people who can't stand beats under 140, lo' and behold we just released su:real 6:9 ;)

dirty_bass
28-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh I love slow beats, prefer it in fact, more incentive to shake your ass and more room for the sounds to shimmer.
I`m not sure I see all the new sounds techno wise, there`s a lot of house calling itself techno, and I do look really hard for new shit, but I don`t hear a lot that isn`t glitchy click or the same old boom tish.
Please please educate me though if you have any suggestions of cool shit you know about.

man_d
28-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I never understand why these big discussions come about where everyone feels like they have to either justify the music they like or the music they make.

I like what I like. I have no labels for it, I can't explain it to you and I'm not going to. If I like it when I hear it, then that's good enough for me. I love the harder stuff Patrik does, not so into the newer stuff he's doing, but that in no way means it's not good. It's just me and my preferences.

And after all, why would anyone care what I think? I have no idea what I like until I hear it and I dread the thought that my opinion would influence the music people make. If I knew what I liked I'd make music myself but I don't so I don't.

I love nothing more than hearing a tune that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but I'm not going to think less of one of my favourite producers if their new tune doesn't do that, they're still the people that have made the tunes that make me grin.

gary_human
28-04-2006, 05:01 PM
i got agaric new release on syndikat and im sure some of my mates would play this who are psy-trance djs - weird this being a topic as i was gonna start a topic asking whether releases like these are the middle ground between techno and psy-trance ???

i was put off by some minimal music which has that weird glitchy kick drum, but these tracks on syndikat are not my idea of minmal and i really like them - to much pigeon holing going on imo.

MARKEG
28-04-2006, 05:41 PM
well if this helps in any way with the discussion, i dj'ed with patrik at one of the last gigs where he played hard and he was telling me how he was becoming much more turned on by the new minimal stuff. he was totally genuine about his reasons and this was at a time when hardly anyone was mentioning minimal, it wasnt in any magazines or on any message boards. so for anyone to imply anything about band wagons is just plain wrong. patrik doesn't need to come on here and justify his reasons to anybody imho but this is the problem with alot of music groups in general. 'how dare you move onto something else'. rather like a sheep mentality dont you think? why can't tastes change?

i say get on with the music making patrik. even though i don't mind the mml sound at all, i am gutted you're not making the hard stuff, trully gutted - patrik and headroom have been one of the biggest influences in my musical llife - but you gotta do what you gotta do. good luck man.

man_d
28-04-2006, 05:53 PM
patrik doesn't need to come on here and justify his reasons to anybody imho but this is the problem with alot of music groups in general. 'how dare you move onto something else'. rather like a sheep mentality dont you think? why can't tastes change?

i say get on with the music making patrik. even though i don't mind the mml sound at all, i am gutted you're not making the hard stuff, trully gutted - patrik and headroom have been one of the biggest influences in my musical llife - but you gotta do what you gotta do. good luck man.

Exactly.

koma
28-04-2006, 05:57 PM
word Mark...

lovelymamiflower
29-04-2006, 04:52 AM
I hope some day he will make another record like Mankind #16. My Favorite Skoog record.

Numeric
29-04-2006, 09:21 AM
I hope some day he will make another record like Mankind #16. My Favorite Skoog record.

agreed...

Mankind 16 would have to be one of my faveorite techno records of all time, all three tracks are amazing but B.2 is so beautiful it hurts...

The Divide
29-04-2006, 11:28 AM
If he wants to make mnl then good on him I recon! It dont even see it as bandwagon jumping because as far as im concerned his still making techno. I dont see why he cant do both though? :thumbsup: :pray:

Bas Mooy
29-04-2006, 12:17 PM
check out a preview of the new Agaric release on www.syndikaat.com , my new label...

i am really happy with the traxx Patrik is doing lately...also Staffan Ehrlin is making some very interestin stuff at the moment (Bruce Logan)...

Patrik had always been one of my favourite producers around, still play a lot of Skoog and Headroom records and also play his minimal tunes, cause they rock! :)

RDR
29-04-2006, 12:22 PM
As long as its good music it doesnt matter. There will always be an audience - audiencec change far faster than artists.

gary_human
30-04-2006, 10:40 AM
check out a preview of the new Agaric release on www.syndikaat.com , my new label...

i am really happy with the traxx Patrik is doing lately...also Staffan Ehrlin is making some very interestin stuff at the moment (Bruce Logan)...

Patrik had always been one of my favourite producers around, still play a lot of Skoog and Headroom records and also play his minimal tunes, cause they rock! :)

yeah that agarinc release is the business.

The Overfiend
30-04-2006, 10:45 AM
People evolve.
Zev Love X was ill in kmd.
But look at him now as Mf Doom.

gary_human
30-04-2006, 11:03 AM
People evolve.
Zev Love X was ill in kmd.
But look at him now as Mf Doom.

mr hood!!!

Trip Head
30-04-2006, 11:42 AM
[quote="gary_human"]i got agaric new release on syndikat and im sure some of my mates would play this who are psy-trance djs - weird this being a topic as i was gonna start a topic asking whether releases like these are the middle ground between techno and psy-trance ???quote]

Yeh I'd agree with that, sounds well like some of the minimal techy psy stuff that I used to listen to.

278d7e64a374de26f==