PDA

View Full Version : Where's my midrange?

Jay Pace
26-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Anyone else have this?

I make a track, mix it down, try and get the levels as correct as i can but find that my sounds break down into high end and low end with little in the way of mid.

I usually end up trying to sort this through multiband compression and multiband limiting - to try and bring up the midrange and the "loudness" of the track.

Which works ok, but it seems to be a strange way of going about getting midrange clout into a track - cutting the bass and high end during mastering.

Are there percussive noise that pack a punch in the 300hz to 1khz range or am I missing something?

RDR
26-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I usually end up trying to sort this through multiband compression and multiband limiting - to try and bring up the midrange and the "loudness" of the track.

Hmmm as you say not really the best way.

Use a spectrum analyser to find out where the REAL holes are.

It could also be phase problems...

any audio examples?

Jay Pace
26-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I use wavez analyser which is pretty good.

Will post a pre mastered mixdown when i gets back.

dirty_bass
26-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I used to get the same problem.
It`s probably more down to ear fatigue, as you tend to have most activity in the mic range, your ears get used to it, so you over compensate after a while. Take a few days off and then come back to the tune and mix it, you`ll find you`ll end up pumping the mid up a little bit more than likely.

loopdon
26-04-2006, 07:23 PM
that's the so called :) -curve. :lol: standard setting everybody does on a home stereo. :lol: :lol:

i think a slow slope from kick/bass to the highs looking like a 'ski ramp' is what is generally looked upon as a good freq. balance.

in the izotope ozone mastering guide it's called the 6db rule...

gaps or holes in the spectrum aren't a good thing, i think.

you can fill the parts in the midrange up perhaps with a pad

and/or a percussion loop. don't try and fix it on the master, fix it in

the mix as good as you can!

278d7e64a374de26f==