PDA

View Full Version : ableton live set advise - using mp3's etc / vinyl

techno_smack
01-05-2006, 03:48 PM
hi i was wondering how people generally tend to use ableton or traktor possibly along with other things when doing a live set type thing.

i have just got into abelton and find it great for putting in loops of my reason tunes and stuff about 4 beats to 4 bars or so long to mess around with. which is great .

i have tried loading a few whole tunes into ableton and it doesnt always work to well, to u need to cut any mp3's etc u want to use to exact bar lengths ?

is using ableton to play full length mp3's while in the mix on there the best way to do it?

and if u want to play tunes u have on record , would it be easier to just copy them to mp3's and load them inito abelton instead?

if i want to just play a mix of my own tunes and records i have would traktor be better to use?

christian wagner
01-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I whack my own tunes in ableton and pre-mix them in that, then use effects on the fly whilst its playin in the club, its best to use a midi controller for maximum control over the program.

techno_smack
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
do u just put the full tune into ableton and then tweek the marker points so its in the mix? and are u running ableton alongside the dex or do u play of ableton alone?

RDR
02-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Ableton can be pretty twitchy sometimes when getting the warp markers into the right position.

Hi Q MP3's are the way forward, less data to throw around the system. Also make sure you have a beat repeat in play.. thats an amazing plugin for mangling your sound.

MARKEG
02-05-2006, 12:51 AM
i am researchiing into ableton right now for djing....you gotta import the track, then make sure the beginning starts on the beat, forward to the last beats of the track and pull the marker to the beat.. then right click the first point and set 1.1 from here.. then warp straight.

what i found out in the last two days anyway hehheh

techno_smack
02-05-2006, 01:09 AM
yeah i like the old beat repeat, i also have a plugin called live cut which gives some good mangling , so any longish files i should basically go in soundforge first cut the start points and save as mp3, then when i open in ableton just do what u said and everything will be coolio yes? ill try now

what do u reckon about sampling parts of records even the whole record if u want to play them during the set ? is it easer to just have a turntable set up or to get them as tracks in the ableton thingy .

findthesolution
02-05-2006, 05:36 AM
Ableton can be pretty twitchy sometimes when getting the warp markers into the right position.

Hi Q MP3's are the way forward, less data to throw around the system. Also make sure you have a beat repeat in play.. thats an amazing plugin for mangling your sound.

ah, but the tracks are automatically converted to .wav and indexed by Live, so the notion that the datastream is actually smaller is a bit untrue.

RDR
02-05-2006, 08:49 AM

ah, but the tracks are automatically converted to .wav and indexed by Live, so the notion that the datastream is actually smaller is a bit untrue.

Really?

****.. didnt know that danny. smart arse!1 :lol: nice one for the heads up tho, where did you see that?? Does it do that on the fly?

Little tip for automatically warping, this can save you stacks of time...

dont hit warp on your tune JUST yet.. leave it unwarped, set a keyboard key to be linked to the tap tempo button in the top right. Now listen to your unwarped tune and tap tempo until you think you have it right. Now when you click on warp there is a greater chance that you will have warp markers in the right place. Dont worry about the master tempo as once you've warped you just change it back.

RDR
02-05-2006, 08:50 AM
She cannae take any more warping captain!

findthesolution
02-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Really?

****.. didnt know that danny. smart arse!1 :lol: nice one for the heads up tho, where did you see that?? Does it do that on the fly?

Little tip for automatically warping, this can save you stacks of time...

dont hit warp on your tune JUST yet.. leave it unwarped, set a keyboard key to be linked to the tap tempo button in the top right. Now listen to your unwarped tune and tap tempo until you think you have it right. Now when you click on warp there is a greater chance that you will have warp markers in the right place. Dont worry about the master tempo as once you've warped you just change it back.

yah. import an MP3, then go to your ableton temp folder and have a gander.

mattboyslim
02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
yeah i like the old beat repeat, i also have a plugin called live cut which gives some good mangling , so any longish files i should basically go in soundforge first cut the start points and save as mp3, then when i open in ableton just do what u said and everything will be coolio yes? ill try now

what do u reckon about sampling parts of records even the whole record if u want to play them during the set ? is it easer to just have a turntable set up or to get them as tracks in the ableton thingy .no no no

no need for soundforge. Just load the whole file into ableton, and move marker 1 to the first beat.

techno_smack
02-05-2006, 01:06 PM
i see well im sure ill figure it out , intresting using the tap buttton linked to a keyboard key, do u think its better to make wav's of any records u wantto bring in the mix or justto use a deck? u cant use effects from ableton on the output from an external mixer can u ?

djshiva
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM

considering that ableton converts mp3s to wav and stores them in cache, make sure you have the room for that to happen, otherwise it will be a nasty surprise...

RDR
02-05-2006, 07:33 PM

considering that ableton converts mp3s to wav and stores them in cache, make sure you have the room for that to happen, otherwise it will be a nasty surprise...

Too slow.. da west coast beat you to it shiva.. :lol:

check dannys post.. :roll:

RDR
02-05-2006, 07:35 PM
i see well im sure ill figure it out , intresting using the tap buttton linked to a keyboard key, do u think its better to make wav's of any records u wantto bring in the mix or justto use a deck? u cant use effects from ableton on the output from an external mixer can u ?

Now there's a question...

Your choice innit mate. do whatever suits you.

findthesolution
02-05-2006, 07:50 PM

Too slow.. da west coast beat you to it shiva.. :lol:

check dannys post.. :roll:

haha word. thats how it goes down in LA. Gotta be quick on the draw!

278d7e64a374de26f==