PDA

View Full Version : collaborators! let us be counted!

Adverse
05-09-2003, 05:44 PM
I!

reply only if you're interested..

The Overfiend
06-09-2003, 12:50 AM
I'm going to cast a long shadow.

eyes without a face
06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
how and using what?

tioneb
06-09-2003, 10:45 PM
i dont undertsand this

miromiric.
06-09-2003, 11:04 PM
yeah! what is this all about?

Adverse
07-09-2003, 12:40 AM
i just wanted to tally who wanted to be involved in the collaboration project

stop cunting around!

The Overfiend
07-09-2003, 12:52 AM

stop cunting around!

We must be telecommunicating I think.

miromiric.
07-09-2003, 12:58 PM

stop cunting around!

traitor!

Adverse
08-09-2003, 02:08 AM
eh? poofsy?

Sam_Horam
08-09-2003, 03:44 AM
count me in...

tioneb
08-09-2003, 07:45 AM
eh? poofsy?

the gang bang of reconciliation will happen soon in madrid

Adverse
08-09-2003, 11:53 AM
i dont undertsand this

now it is i who doesn't understand you!

Skarabex
08-09-2003, 12:16 PM
count me in too, lol 8)

massplanck
08-09-2003, 04:37 PM
You can count me in but will someone please layout the guidelines.......

We dont want to go through the motions of people with BBC Micros attempting to collaberate with Sinclair ZX spectrum users. ;)

djTequila
08-09-2003, 07:17 PM
The details are layed out in another thread.

I'm in!

T*

section42
10-09-2003, 01:23 PM
I would like to join in too - as long as Fast Hard Techno isnt a issue...

Col
10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
i might be up for it, but please can someone explain in more detail what this collaboration project is all about? :?

miasma man
10-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Count us in - Axiom boys that is.

What thread are the details on?

Cheers,

MM

dirty_bass
11-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Yep, Count me in, and I think Jeff Amadeus may well like to get invloved too.

Cheers

Steve

Adverse
11-09-2003, 01:50 AM
http://blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142

Methodixxx
11-09-2003, 04:02 AM
*Raises hand like a school boy*

:roll:

The Overfiend
11-09-2003, 07:09 AM
Okay form your alliances.

aggressor
16-09-2003, 11:41 AM
/me raises his hand

MARKEG
18-09-2003, 06:32 PM
me and chrissi are in.. but not for a month cause am moving house..

Adverse
18-09-2003, 07:27 PM
k we've sorted quite a few people now so shouldn't we get into groups? or start some kind of meeting in the blackout chatroom?

Jimfish
19-09-2003, 12:27 AM
yeah im up 4 it but like markeg i am pretty ****ing busy catching up on the stuff i havent done while my studio has been
****ed :cry: :cry: :cry:

i am well up for this kinda monkey business though

The Overfiend
19-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Sharpening the tools, biting my lip so hard blood is pouring down my chin.

davethedrummer
19-09-2003, 10:35 PM
i'm in but i havent got broadband any more so it'll be slow for me.
soryy i've fallen behind on this subject but i've moved house now and i'm all set up again.
can someone explain how we do this?

Antinoise
20-09-2003, 12:15 AM
I'm back and just entered a fresh post in the other thread....

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start =45

To sumarize:

The FTP is UP!

To sign up.. msg me.. give me your prefrences (see link) and I will msg you back with the ftp address (not public).

Deadline.. 1 week from today Sept 26th.

Antinoise
26-09-2003, 05:48 AM
So are people all talk here or what? If you are in .. stand up, be counted---
Since the site was down.. lets give it till moday to show me your players card..

-Greg

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 07:57 AM
ah **** it, im gonna have to do it now just so im not 'all talk'!
:lol:
haha

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Nah It's true everyones screaming me me and no ones stepping up to the plate. I can beat box with my mouth right now and be winning this sh*t!

bornaa
29-09-2003, 06:11 PM
so did you guys make anything or was it all just alot of bsing? if u didn, let us hear ittt! :love:

The Overfiend
29-09-2003, 08:22 PM
well out of 20 people saying yeah yeah yeah. only me noise an fish have been down.

duncandisorderly
19-04-2004, 03:20 PM
did this ever kick off properly or did it just disappear up its own jacksie?

dirty_bass
19-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Well, it should happen really, I`m up for getting involved in organising it properly if anyone else is interested.

xfive
19-04-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm down :)
We should all agree on what mechanisms to use for transporting the files, as well as a method of revision history. And I'm thinking that restricting things to "we only pass around wav/aiff files" will be good because it will let everyone use whatever software they want to, to do the adjustments/mangling. This will also keep errors from occuring from not having blah-blah plugin installed. You will simply have to re-render each track back out before sharing.
Maybe once the loops are done then a standard method can be agreed upon for arrangement.
I have a server on a very fast line and can set up some sort of sharing environment for us to utilize. And as I said setting up some sort of revision history/blog style thing would be cool to keep track of everyone's edits.
Just as a side note to the software thing - Live has worked for me perfectly to be able to take tracks I am working on from the main studio pc and pop them open on my powerbook. No issues ever. This may be a good option after reading the previous posts and whatnot regarding Cubase vs Acid vs Logic etc...

This sounds like a fun thing to do, and it could be very cool if the proper infrastructure is in place so that we can spend time making the music instead of dicking with the logistics of it all.

-Chris

Col
19-04-2004, 05:08 PM
im up for it. im probably the only person still using cubase 5, so your suggestion suits me fine.

messyfuture
19-04-2004, 05:57 PM
*Raises his Hand*

count me in for sure!

dirty_bass
19-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I was thinking of something like everyone contributes x amount of Wavs and Loops to a pool, then we pick and mix from this pool to produce stuff. Repost and then take it from there?

xfive
19-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I was thinking of something like everyone contributes x amount of Wavs and Loops to a pool, then we pick and mix from this pool to produce stuff. Repost and then take it from there?

hmmmmm
Kinda like:
Ok here's a pool of sounds and everyone makes their own track using only those sounds?
I like that idea, but at the same time I also like the other idea about passing the pieces around and having each person change them.

Maybe we can try both ways? Or did I misunderstand what you meant?

-Chris

Komplex
20-04-2004, 12:18 AM
count me in

dirty_bass
20-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Look, I`m up for sorting this out organising it, if we need someone to be a coordinator.

but the thing is, how do we do this.
We can pool a load of loops and samples, and then what. Split into groups of 3 lets say, and then work out the structure from there. Get a finished product, and then re-split that into loops.
Re post the finished version and the loops, and then pass the loops round to the next group of 3 to remix it. Kinda like chinese whispers.

xfive
20-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Look, I`m up for sorting this out organising it, if we need someone to be a coordinator.

but the thing is, how do we do this.
We can pool a load of loops and samples, and then what. Split into groups of 3 lets say, and then work out the structure from there. Get a finished product, and then re-split that into loops.
Re post the finished version and the loops, and then pass the loops round to the next group of 3 to remix it. Kinda like chinese whispers.

Sounds good to me man. I'll get the server space ready and load up some sort of software to use for communication.

Who else is in?

DJZeMig_L
20-04-2004, 03:42 AM
I'll contribuite somehow... although I've been really pressed 4 time :(

Z

xfive
20-04-2004, 03:46 AM
Is everyone down with ftp? Or would you rather see a web based upload tool?
I personally don't care either way but I think ftp is probably a bit more stable for the size of files we will be pushing around.... and it has resume.

Kevin Gorman
20-04-2004, 05:33 AM
This sounds like a cool idea! I'm down with it!!

As for the FTP...

You can setup some ftp server software to be able to have users access the ftp from Internet Exploerer or any web brower. I use Bullet Proof FTP Server and it allows this function. So no ftp client software would have to be used. You just use the copy and paste function to upload to the ftp, and click the file to download from it. To see an example of what i mean just click this link ftp://frequencies.ath.cx it brings up a login screen right inside your browser!!

BloodStar
20-04-2004, 09:46 AM
great idea, i'm up for it, absolutly,. Is this colab workaround working right now? or am i missing something?

dirty_bass
20-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah, ftp is the one, accessable from a browser makes it easier.

xfive
20-04-2004, 05:41 PM

As for the FTP...

You can setup some ftp server software to be able to have users access the ftp from Internet Exploerer or any web brower. I use Bullet Proof FTP Server and it allows this function. So no ftp client software would have to be used. You just use the copy and paste function to upload to the ftp, and click the file to download from it. To see an example of what i mean just click this link ftp://frequencies.ath.cx it brings up a login screen right inside your browser!!

Hmm I haven't tried uploading via a browser.. but regardless people can use other software..
But yeah I will have the site up today. As far as usernames go, send me an email to blackout@fsck.org with the username you want to access the ftp with, and I will send an email back with where to login, and your password.

-Chris

xfive
20-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Whooopsie
Actually guys its even easier than that.
Go here and register yourself, and then I will validate you:

http://lfo.fsck.org/proftpd/

Just click on "add new user" and fill out all the fields.

-Chris

messyfuture
20-04-2004, 06:09 PM
i've registered

xfive
20-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Ok guys start signing up on the site.
So far messyfuture is on and already has some files up.
My verification email will tell you how to access the server and what to do.
I have also set up some forums for us just for this purpose and I will make a user for you on there as well, and let you know how to access it.

-Chris

xfive
20-04-2004, 10:04 PM
http://lfo.fsck.org/phorum/
Hit that up to do the forums.
Just click on ' Need a Login? Register Here'
Sorry for the multiple logins but that's how this sorta thing goes :)
Just use the same names/passes..

-Chris

xfive
20-04-2004, 11:46 PM

As for the FTP...

Just took a look at bullet proof - I'm running on a linux server over here so that's not gonna fly.
I have turned on file attachments within the forum app, so if people really have a problem using 3rd party ftp clients, we can try and use that... but doing things via http posting is not always so smoov :)

-Chris

BloodStar
21-04-2004, 09:52 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

dirty_bass
21-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I`ll sign up tonight when I get back from work. GOnna see if I can drum up a little more interest too.

xfive
21-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Sounds good!
So far we have 4 people including myself that are signed up and ready to roll.

-Chris

Debroglie
21-04-2004, 06:55 PM
"Musicians, Today, if they're clever, put new compositions out on the web, like pies set to cool on a window ledge , and wait for other people to anonymously rework them. Ten will be all wrong , but the eleventh may be genius. And free. It's as though the creative process is no longer contained within an individual skull, if indeed it ever was. Everything, today, is to some ex-tent the reflection of something else"

William Gibson.
Pattern Recognition
page. 70

xfive
21-04-2004, 07:29 PM
"Musicians, Today, if they're clever, put new compositions out on the web, like pies set to cool on a window ledge , and wait for other people to anonymously rework them. Ten will be all wrong , but the eleventh may be genius. And free. It's as though the creative process is no longer contained within an individual skull, if indeed it ever was. Everything, today, is to some ex-tent the reflection of something else"

William Gibson.
Pattern Recognition
page. 70

Gibson is the man.. I don't think anyone could have put it any better :clap:

xfive
21-04-2004, 09:48 PM
I have also started a channel on a friend's irc server. It may be useful to speak in a more fluid manner at times, rather than just posting to the forum.
I'm kinda thinking the forum will be useful to keep track of the overall progression of everything, but the irc will be cool for random discussions if any of us happen to be working on stuff simultaneously.
Snag your favorite irc client and point yourself to irc.benow.ca #techno

See you there!

-Chris

MARKEG
22-04-2004, 12:35 AM
actually we have a blackout irc channel... but i deleted the link on the top of the forum cause everyone wanted me to do a avatar/signiture hide and i messed up the code :( i'll put it back the way it was in the next few wks :)

xfive
22-04-2004, 06:36 AM
actually we have a blackout irc channel... but i deleted the link on the top of the forum cause everyone wanted me to do a avatar/signiture hide and i messed up the code :( i'll put it back the way it was in the next few wks :)
Ahh nice that would be fun to have :)

Antinoise
22-04-2004, 10:47 AM

I was the one spearheading the first round of this idea. Everyone was supposedly in.. but then when it actually came time to get to work, only 3 people actually were down to do it. I set up an ftp with tons of room, and it was all ready to go. However, most people were just too busy. The work platform was always an ongoing issue. Plug-in compatibility and sequencer/version split the lines too much.

I mentally invested a bunch to get it going, but at the end of the day.. it was a waste of time.

xfive
22-04-2004, 04:30 PM

I was the one spearheading the first round of this idea. Everyone was supposedly in.. but then when it actually came time to get to work, only 3 people actually were down to do it. I set up an ftp with tons of room, and it was all ready to go. However, most people were just too busy. The work platform was always an ongoing issue. Plug-in compatibility and sequencer/version split the lines too much.

I mentally invested a bunch to get it going, but at the end of the day.. it was a waste of time.
It may be difficult to deal with people running on different platforms and such, but up until the point of arrangement I think if all people pass around are wav files there should be no problem.
When arrangement time comes I suggest we stick to one cross-platform sequencer such as Live and unless everyone has waves plugins and what not, we should limit ourselves to the internal plugins. If you want to use something that others don't have, bounce the audio to a file and then put it back into the session.

No one said this was going to be easy ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==