PDA

View Full Version : american techno scene-011010010011010111

BongoBennie
04-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Any american heads out there? Any techno in the clubs, whats the skinny?

The Overfiend
04-05-2006, 08:29 AM
No we suck, talk to your local promoter and get us booked.
Thank you for your support.

MARKEG
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
having a bad day toni? :razz: :cheese:

dirty_bass
04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Not only is there not much of a scene, but there`s not much of a record distribution netwrok there either.
If people can`t get the music, how are they gonna find out about it to then go to the clubs and vica versa.
WTF, a massive, MAHOOOOOSSSIVE country like the States, and less techno than a few of the major techno countries in europe put together.
What the hell is that all about?
Does no one have the promotion bug out there, or does hip hop totally rule now?

MITA
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Bush dont like techno
hahahahaha

gunjack
04-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Not only is there not much of a scene, but there`s not much of a record distribution netwrok there either.
If people can`t get the music, how are they gonna find out about it to then go to the clubs and vica versa.
WTF, a massive, MAHOOOOOSSSIVE country like the States, and less techno than a few of the major techno countries in europe put together.

techno is a dirty word, associated with raves and drugs. folks dont get the post rave mentality and still run around with backpacks and pacifiers, so ppl lump techno in with the cornball ravers and viola! the good old west remains stuck in 1992

The Overfiend
04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
He's 100% right.
And yes Hip Hop does run sh*t, so does Country.

Fusion
04-05-2006, 09:36 PM
all of the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and bush sux too :rambo:

Patrick DSP
04-05-2006, 11:30 PM
a well placed "LOL" should suffice.

Patrick DSP
04-05-2006, 11:43 PM
in regards to the techno scene in america and it's clubs. (damn edit button!)

BRADLEE
05-05-2006, 07:00 PM

techno is a dirty word, associated with raves and drugs. folks dont get the post rave mentality and still run around with backpacks and pacifiers, so ppl lump techno in with the cornball ravers and viola! the good old west remains stuck in 1992

OI, couldn't have deemed things better myself. Seems like many people here are still stuck in a lost time......

And techno is pretty much either a dirty word to people or it's also that they don't understand it. Yet with next to zero exposure to the musik, how could they understand it.

Out in the EU and the UK it's on the radio, it's in lots of clubs, it's in commercials and other forms of daily life.

Plus really it's just not cool to be techno. :lol:

audioinjection
05-05-2006, 07:59 PM

lol, that is so spot on

try to talk to people about techno, thats all they think about

that and hip hop rules the country haha

Dustin Zahn
05-05-2006, 08:35 PM
There's a million reasons where techno went wrong in the United States. Some of the obvious reasons have already been expressed (hip hop, bad reputation, etc.).

Realistically I'd say the number one most critical factor of the failure of techno in the U.S. is geography. The United States has a lot of land to cover and everything is far too spread out. For two or three techno crews to congregate in the U.S. is quite a task involving long car rides or expensive flights. The Detroit festival is a great example that techno could exist in the U.S. if everything was much closer together. Also, add to the fact that gas has reached $3US/gallon (go ahead EU, laugh...it still hurts us)...the days where ravers would drive 12 hours for a single night's party are long gone. Without being able to band support together, all there really is now are pockets of resistance to mediocrity across the U.S.

From a political standpoint, things in the U.S. are ridiculously savage. Good gigs are few and far between so it's a bit more cut-throat or "what can you do for me" in the States. A lot of the U.S. boys rarely if ever, get a taste of a good European party so it shifts self-promotion into overdrive. Unfortunately it's usually not the good self-promotion and DJs still end up playing shit gigs at a local college bar somewhere here in the U.S.

Instead of focusing on getting gigs in Europe, South America and Asia...many DJs/producers settle for husting gigs in the states between techno hot spots. Many people around here play the circle jerk game of "you book me, I'll book you." What people don't realize is while it's a great trade off, the reason they always lose money is because the acts they're trading gigs with usually aren't going to pay the bills. Also, they may not be all that great of a performer either. Personally, I'm not oppossed to the trading gigs method if it is worth it for both parties. Ideally, I'd like to be booked because people genuinely want me to come play for them...not just because I can set them up a gig out of town.

Next, being so far from Europe...a lot of U.S. acts have a hard time networking across the pond. Obviously, the average starving dj/producer can't afford to spend a week or two in europe networking face to face. Another problem is most americans are not bilingual. This means unless you're in demand or have some friends...an only english-speaking american boy's chances of getting a rockin' gig in Spain/Czech/etc. are slim to shit.

Lastly, it's no secret that until recent years the newer generation of U.S. producers had a really hard time getting accepted by European labels for some reason. It seems there was a huge gap from legendary U.S. producers in the late 80s/early 90s to the new blood of the early 2000s. Promising names such as Andrei Morant and others kind of just faded away. Perhaps the decline of the U.S. rave scene is partially to blame. Currently, there's a hanful of producers here in the states who have begun to meet the quality of european producers/labels and are finally getting recognized for it. It's no longer uncommon to see new U.S. blood on some of Europe's biggest labels.

As much as I also hate to admit it, the minimal trend has opened the doors for a lot of fresh new U.S. acts to travel the international circuit such as Matthew Dear, Magda, Someone Else, etc. These days it seems the U.S. is slowly getting more respect as time progresses.

gunjack
05-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Any american heads out there? Any techno in the clubs, whats the skinny?

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~gunjack/POSTER.jpg

we got the fiyah down south this month!!!!

gunjack
05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
hey admin wtf? its coded right! dont allow hotlinks or what? mark you wanna hook a brotha up with an edit button finally?!?!?!?!

BRADLEE
05-05-2006, 10:03 PM
hey admin wtf? its coded right! dont allow hotlinks or what? mark you wanna hook a brotha up with an edit button finally?!?!?!?!

agreed, and edit button would be nice to have for sure.

fresh_an_funky_design
06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Also, add to the fact that gas has reached $3US/gallon (go ahead EU, laugh...it still hurts us)....

i know its off subject, but that really makes me laugh, we get raped for fuel in the uk. I bought fuel just outside london for a rip off £1.04 a litre.
At todays exchange rate 1.8588 we pay $8.78US per gallon in the uk :shock:

koma
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM

koma
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
brian, you've left one empty space after the link, thats why it didnt show up

I heard about this btw... this should be awesome, shiiit, Wetworks, Matt K and this schranz live act, Gunjack, wow

BloodStar
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
it looks like the US techno scene is not good as all you americans would like to have it. shame, and quite unbelievable that US scene is in such a state as you told. Dustin summed it up nicely, so me as an oversea can see how it is in real and it looks it is really bad.
sometimes here it is also not the best, DJ exchanges are also common thing for almost all promoters, gig for gig, gig for money, gig for some service in advance, and so on... even i dont think our scene is now the healthiest, it is good to hear that it is not as bad as in some other countries around the globe...
at the end of a day even our scene is sometimes full of backstabbing and hate, stupid people under drugs, lazy assed DJs playing bullshit, gigs for services in advance and so on.. it is not as bad as somewhere else, thats positive..

Dustin Zahn
06-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Hahah, wow. I don't know if it's THAT awful. :) There is light at the end of the tunnel in the U.S.

gunjack
07-05-2006, 07:19 PM
fuc king koma hahah thanx for posting the poster, but i got your "schranz" en mis pantalones!

koma
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
no hablo espanol, senor
but I'm glad you realised i'm the f*ck king :eyes:

djshiva
08-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Also, add to the fact that gas has reached $3US/gallon (go ahead EU, laugh...it still hurts us)....

i know its off subject, but that really makes me laugh, we get raped for fuel in the uk. I bought fuel just outside london for a rip off £1.04 a litre.
At todays exchange rate 1.8588 we pay $8.78US per gallon in the uk :shock:

i won't speak for you guys across the pond, but i will say that what kills us in america in regards to gas prices is the woefully BAD state of public transportation. many metropolitan cities (i speak specifically toward indianapolis, where i live) have mediocre or barely there public transpo, so cars become a necessity instead of a luxury. plus, if you want to travel from city to city (remember how BIG this damn country is), your choices are limited to cars, airplanes (super expensive), greyhound (BAD, takes too long and many times will not get you where you need to go), and train (also takes forever and may not stop where you need to go).

these things have had a major impact on techno in the states, as dustin pointed out earlier. you can drive for 12 hours and STILL be in the US, and in the middle of nowhere. it's tough to really be cohesive when we are all so separated.

thank gawd for the internet. access to music has gotten better, even if our ability to play it for the people has not.

Adrenalin
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I consider myself extremely lucky because I live in Vermont, USA so I'm only about 2 hours drive from Montreal, Quebec, Canada which has one of North America's most vibrant electronic music scenes. It's sad that I live in the U.S. but since I play techno and mainly promote techno I have to travel to Montreal to play. I host a monthly club night and host all night parties in Montreal, which is no easy task when I live in another country, but with the U.S. scene so separated geographically, overly strict laws, etc., it's well worth the traveling and extra effort to be part of the Monteal techno scene. Christ, I drove 7 1/2 hours to Toronto a couple weeks ago to meet up with Alex Calver!! Well worth the trip too.

Also, a lot of people in the U.S. electronic scene aren't exposed to real techno music because there isn't a lot of places that have techno artists regularly. The reason I say "real techno" is because a lot of people call anything electronic Techno! haha! So the only stuff that they hear is commercial house, trance and breakbeat, which are all huge in the U.S. Plus, people in the U.S. aren't as liberal or open minded as other countries. Most clubs in the U.S. are all about image and money. A majority have strict dress codes, drink minimums, etc. **** that! Montreal is very European, unlike the rest of Canada, so I guess I've been spoiled by that laid back, open minded attitude.

And sadly, most music listeners in the U.S. take what's fed to them by the commecial markets, so the cheesy pop songs, trance DJ's, hip hop rappers, etc. rule U.S. night life. Don't get me wrong, there's some great techno artists in the U.S. like Michael Wenz, Dustin Zahn, The Germ, etc., but they are spread out over the county like butter on toast which makes it difficult to work together to build a better scene.

I personally think the U.S. is hopeless on this topic.

DjSolaris
12-06-2006, 06:52 PM
OK, as far as america goes, from being here and well in hopes to give everyone the skinny. The ones here who do throw events have had our run of problems. As everyone knows, Rave Act and such have hindered things by scaring people into submission. The midwest still has its problems when things do go in our favor.

A few to note.
1. As a techno artist myself I come across people that when they ask what I play and I reply "techno", then comes the de facto response "so is that house or trance" at which time I spend another 15 min or so explaining the diffrence.

2. Within the Midwest expecially, clubs are hard pressed to go outside the norm of what is played within the pop / alternative radio stations. Club owners in majority I have found to be older and dont understand nor grasp what electronic music is, let alone techno. The rare few that do are well off. but controlled by a few individuals that keep a grasp on thier market. which leads me to...

3. The promoters that I have come across have 'played it safe' and believe that techno will never be huge. Even when shown diffrently thier own preferance to book house dj's lead to a overkill of one genre within the spectrum. The ones that do throw techno have proven to be rather successful within the one off shows. Alas, the preferance of those few to keep house going, because it is all they know or understand hinders us even further.

4. Lack of music has left people unaware. With few techno dj's there is a limited amount of resources that can be obtained by the average person. While the regional techno artists do work together, it seems that no one can afford to keep up on thier record fix and shell out for a few hundred cd's to get to the populace. Music is a drug and while I have been guilty of both ends, I also understand that building knowledge of a music is paramount in creating a sustainable and viable market within the US. The old hayday of parties for parties sake are over, and so too are the times where people went out without knowing who an artist is. Mostly for the fact that back then music was rampant and people could obtain it and have something to base what thier expierence will be like.

5. With fuel prices going crazy here in the US. (I know we dont even compare to other parts of the world), we find flights, booking fees, and everything else hard to fathom when you have to budget on 300 people at an event. We have to then stick to more regional acts than bringing some of you I would love to get here. The other side of this coin is the lack of cooperation it seems from promoters in other cities to get flight share and such worked out. More to the point is the inability to find a contact and obtain the heads up so it may be arranged.

These things placed together hinder the growth of the market and hinders the Midwest as I see it from gaining exposure. Lack of radio here also hinders from attracting new consumers. Also, I must note that within the Midwest i do not consider chicago, since i believe that it has a bit more of a foundation than the other areas such as St Louis, Kansas City, Oklahoma, Ect.

Any comments / suggestions on this matter please let me know, because I would like nothing more than make this country more bangin'.

DjSolaris
12-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Like adrenaline saiys it is true. I notice that with all of us spread across the country it is hard to collaborate on things...something I hope to ammend here in Kansas City and attempt to solidify more of a state fo Techno

holotropik
18-06-2006, 09:54 AM
WOW!
The US sounds a lot like Australia
with the whole distance thing
and the 'safe' pop-music mentality.

Although I reckon we are doin OK here
Melbourne has quite a good thing.

S/E
25-06-2006, 04:11 AM
You guys have described the problems with techno in America quite well.

There are small pockets of people who enjoy the music but we're scattered over a very large area.

Most people I talk to have no idea what I am talking about when I say techno....

ryry9379
07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Every time I say I'm a techno DJ, the very first response I get is "Oh! I love Paul Oakenfold!"

Jay Pace
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM

:razz:

koma
07-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Antonio, how was it in Mexico??
I dont remember reading a review or something...

DjSolaris
13-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Now we must take them in mass... Fully hypnotize them and infiltrate the place.

RDR
13-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Every time I say I'm a techno DJ, the very first response I get is "Oh! I love Paul Oakenfold!"

:lol:

Feelin your pain....

The Overfiend
13-07-2006, 06:55 AM
The people of mexico are amazing. Really hospitible and corteous.
The shady ones could catch my sack.

Adrenalin
13-07-2006, 05:30 PM
What part of Mexico? I DJ'd in Octlan & LaPiedad a couple years ago, which is just west of Guadalajara. I had such a great time and the people were a blast, except the one drunk that stared me square in the eyes and said "I ****ing hate Americans." That was a little unsettling, but understandable considering our president and our government.

Spire
16-07-2006, 09:19 AM
people in america hate techno because it's just boom, boom, boom, boom, tsk, boom, tsk, boom, tsk, boom, tsk, tshhh, boom, boom, tsk, tshhh......................... yeah, guitars are MUCH cooler.

The Overfiend
16-07-2006, 11:44 AM
The people of mexico are amazing. Really hospitible and corteous.
The shady ones could catch my sack.

None of the
Mexican people were shady at all.
My issue is with people who get too familiar.

278d7e64a374de26f==