PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Mixed Vinyl

TechMouse
05-05-2006, 11:52 AM
So, Aphrodite played in Nottingham not so long ago, and I understand he played his whole set with pre-mixed vinyl.

That is, each vinyl was a dubplate with two tunes expertly mixed - so ultimately he was only doing every other mix, and sounding like he was pulling off some mighty manouvres. Oh, and each plate was cut at the same BPM.

... and I'm told this is apparently not uncommon with bigger name DJs.

This sounds shameful to me - especially when (some) people spend half their lives moaning about digital DJs and Ableton sets etc.

Surely this is the laziest of the lazy?

dan the acid man
05-05-2006, 12:01 PM
bloody hell, im shocked, i've never heard of such a thing :shock:

i'd rather hear a genuine dj mess up than somebody who's ripping off people like this

rhythmtech
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
that aint good...

dan - check filez section... something nice in there...

Traxx
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
You hear stuff like this about certain dnb dj's all the time.

eyeswithoutaface
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
sounds like a total lie to me unfortunately, ive never ever heard of it and i doubt it exists, who'd go to such effort for pressing the vinyl, making sure its mixed first, and effectively bootlegging half your set by pressing the records in teh first place if its not your own material?

sounds totally blag to me

Electrictribe
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM
well couple of years ago hype had a dub that last about 15 minutes of all his classic tunes chopped into a single tune that he just scratched over and everyone would say wow how is he mixing and scratching everything so tight. So wouldn't surprise me if aphrodite had something similar.

eyeswithoutaface
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
yeah sounds more like a battle record that, but i mean whole tracks pre-mixed, its so easy to mix a record that i personally wouldnt be arsed with the above

lazy git, i hope people had a go at him!

Frank Dogshit
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
fair play to him.

no different to a lazy ableton set in all fairness.

Si the Sigh
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Andy C does the same sort of thing. All his plates are cut & pre-arranged so he can keep the pitch locked and play away. D&B DJ's seem to do it loads.

TechMouse
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
sounds like a total lie to me unfortunately, ive never ever heard of it and i doubt it exists, who'd go to such effort for pressing the vinyl, making sure its mixed first, and effectively bootlegging half your set by pressing the records in teh first place if its not your own material?

sounds totally blag to me

OK, but I've now had 3 people confirm this to me.

One innocent bystander, one of the warm up DJs (who says he had quite a long chat with the man himself) and one of the organisers.

I imagine Aphrodite commands quite a DJ fee.

Traxx
05-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Andy C does the same sort of thing. All his plates are cut & pre-arranged so he can keep the pitch locked and play away. D&B DJ's seem to do it loads.

Rumours rumours. He's a badass dnb dj.

Electrictribe
05-05-2006, 03:45 PM

Rumours rumours. He's a badass dnb dj.

an very overrated D&B dj, always found his style pretty dull to be honest.

Electrictribe
05-05-2006, 03:46 PM
although has made some excellant tunes over the years so won't knock his productions.

barry_fyasko
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
yeah he played at event horizon a few years ago, played a pedestrian set for about 20mins then stormed off cos the needle jumped a few times

use some blu tack on the cart like the rest of us... ;)

but bodyrock what a quality party tune

dirty_bass
05-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Man, when we used to run the rigs for Raindance in london, we had the top names in the drum and bass room, and the things that went on there were shameless.
Not "keeping it real" at all.
So this thread doesn`t surprise me at all. I`ll say no more than that.

massplanck
05-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Man, when we used to run the rigs for Raindance in london, we had the top names in the drum and bass room, and the things that went on there were shameless.

spill the beans!

alot of people seem to have issues with the glitterati of the d'n'b scene.

TechMouse
05-05-2006, 05:31 PM
but bodyrock what a quality party tune

http://www.breaksfm.com/images/smilies/clownsteppa.gif

djshiva
05-05-2006, 06:21 PM
how boring. i don't know how true it is, but there are many tactics that big names have used that make me ownder...why dj at all then? ok ok i know they deman exorbitant fees, but damn...wouldn't you wanna have some FUN while you play?

me personally, i truly ENJOY djing, so i don't understand the shortcuts. i would get bored. i keep adding elements in just to keep myself entertained. another turntable, effects units, add ableton into the vinyl scenario.

i just don't understand why someone would make djing BORING to make more money. wouldn't it be more fun to have a good time djing AND get paid? *shakes head*

mattboyslim
05-05-2006, 07:00 PM
http://www.urbantakeover.co.uk/newaphroindex.html

check out his shocking website. I think this kind of puts the lazyness into perspective

http://www.urbantakeover.co.uk/aphro/content.html

dislikes: people who don't make an effort

dear god

eyeswithoutaface
05-05-2006, 07:12 PM
haha hilarious, just checked that site

his productions all sound very basic to me too i must say, is this guy like some big playa or something? ive had bigger turds

mattboyslim
05-05-2006, 07:14 PM
he was big in the jungle scene. Hasn't really crossed over into DnB too well

seems like a bit of big kid to be honest

eyeswithoutaface
05-05-2006, 07:16 PM
i do recognise the name like but all seems a bit amateurish to me, i certainly wouldnt be paying big money for this guy to do anything more than tarmac my drive

koma
05-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I love dnb, but from time to time I hear this kind of stories and laugh

funny thing is
how some dnb suckers think they are above us
cause their music is much more complex and shit like that
and techno is same for years
f*ckin LOL

audioinjection
05-05-2006, 07:53 PM
So, Aphrodite played in Nottingham not so long ago, and I understand he played his whole set with pre-mixed vinyl.

That is, each vinyl was a dubplate with two tunes expertly mixed - so ultimately he was only doing every other mix, and sounding like he was pulling off some mighty manouvres. Oh, and each plate was cut at the same BPM.

... and I'm told this is apparently not uncommon with bigger name DJs.

This sounds shameful to me - especially when (some) people spend half their lives moaning about digital DJs and Ableton sets etc.

Surely this is the laziest of the lazy?

ive heard of a local dj from here in los angeles named richard humpty vission who used to do that......pretty crappy thing to do, wonder if its because they cant mix or just too lazy

BRADLEE
05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Man ****ing lazy shit right there. If can't mix the fecking records then you probably shouldn't be playing them in the first place. Might as well get a suzy cooks alot kit and mix some cake batter instead... :lol:

gunjack
05-05-2006, 09:36 PM
getting dubplates cut is lazy? wtf?

massplanck
05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
getting dubplates cut is lazy? wtf?

:lol:

:clap:

dirty_bass
05-05-2006, 11:41 PM
to a high paid DJ, getting a few dub plates cut of premixed vinyl isn`t exactly hard work now is it.

rhythmtech
05-05-2006, 11:52 PM
who really cares. he does what he does and we do what we do. is it really that important?

dan the acid man
06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
who really cares. he does what he does and we do what we do. is it really that important?

no, not really, but we have to moan at something.

although to be fair, if you're conning the punters, then it's not on

rhythmtech
06-05-2006, 12:34 AM
meh..

(sorry.. havin a fvckin horrible horrible night)

fresh_an_funky_design
06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
why bother going to all that effort d'nb is so easy to mix and beatmatch

The Divide
06-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I can rememeber a dj miix of aphrodite and mickey fin back to back with a rmx of 'I got five on it'. ****ing loved it

rhythmtech
06-05-2006, 03:00 AM
yeah they rocked back in the day.. them and urban takeover!!! :)

Aratron
06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
why bother going to all that effort d'nb is so easy to mix and beatmatch

thats what i was thinking whats the point? takes all the fun out of doing it yourself. what a collosal waste of time for everybody involved.

fresh_an_funky_design
06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
to be honest i've only ever seen 2 or 3 d'n'b dj's that have impressed me, usually there too interested in re-wind's or doin nothing. Which is a shame as i like d'n'b

robin m
06-05-2006, 12:59 PM
I heard about this from one of the warm up DJs too, he was in the booth with him so I've got no reason to doubt it... I don't like it at all, it seems to be one step away from miming to a dat tape to be honest.

Shame because I love dnb and aphrodite's always been top of the pile for me, love his production and he played one of the top couple of sets I saw last year. Now I feel slightly cheated, the whole set was fast and tight as f*ck and I was in awe of him - I don't doubt he was pulling the same shit then... he's well and truly knocked off my pedestal now. :(

dirty_bass
06-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Best drum and bass DJ`s I have EVER seen and heard, were some of the Drum and Bass DJ`s on the london squat party scene in the late 90`s.
These guys were serious roughnecks. And it felt right too. Dirty nasty underground music, filthy warehouse, massive stack of scoops, gangsters groovin in chill mode.
I saw and heard some great DJ`s then.
In fact there`s a lot of people I miss from those days.
Trevor Postie from Iffy soundsystem. Crazy drum and bass DJ.

stjohn
06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I can rememeber a dj miix of aphrodite and mickey fin back to back with a rmx of 'I got five on it'. **** loved it

i remember that one...it had a Superman Jungle mix too :)

robin m
06-05-2006, 11:00 PM
i remember that one...it had a Superman Jungle mix too :)

'Man of Steal' :cheese: that's a f*cking badboy of a tune.

The Urban Takeover stuff was the shit, no question...

stjohn
07-05-2006, 02:16 AM
thats the one..... that was aphrodite too AFAIK

koma
07-05-2006, 01:03 PM
btw you think this is the laziest of all?
now I remembered there's some goa trance dj-s spinning pre-mixed cd's
what about that, LOL
plonkers

Jay Pace
08-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I've heard of much, much bigger djs plug in a DAT and mime along.

At least he was doing something.

Absolutely loved aphrodite productions when I was a kid. Made on two amigas - class.
Man is a legend, albeit a lazy one. Mind you, most of those boys are still running on momentum from the 90's.
Let him milk it. He paid his dues.

davethedrummer
09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
blimey , what a negartive thread
it all sounds a bit suspect to me.
i think aphrodites website is ok , it's not flashy and posh no , but it works and theres tons of photos and audio on there to play with
as far as getting dub plates cut , a whole sets worth has got to ba around the £1000 mark ( £50 per plate 20 tracks an hour roughly ) , i seriously doubt anyone would lay that much out for a bunch of acetates that weigh a ton and will only play about 50 times each.

anyway i thought these guys were all using cds now.
and anyway whats to stop anyone doing this on cd anyway?

in fact this just looks like an anti drum and bass thread to me.

and sorry steve yes there were some great d+b djs at the squat parties back in the day , but their mates kept mugging people , so we stopped working with them.

dirty_bass
09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Yep, I never said the D n B rigs were ethical in their associations, the anject darkness of the drum and bass squats was alluring, but it just took itself over.
I knew many, and yes some of their friends were mugging and being bad, that`s why I got out of the game, sick of fighting the cops, and the muggers, and the bloody rigs as well, it all got too much for me, physically and mentally.

But then some techno rigs "friends" were also part of the mugging and nastiness too.

TechMouse
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
in fact this just looks like an anti drum and bass thread to me.
How ironic, I've actually started enjoying D&B more and more recently.

Si the Sigh
09-05-2006, 11:50 AM
I've always liked the chilled D&B sounds, and love the anything on a Ragga tip to. Ragga Jungle ruled... :cheese:

TechMouse
09-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I've been liking the glitchier more random / offensive stuff.

Exile etc.

Si the Sigh
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
*pauses for thought*

...Whats this thread got to do with techno anyway?

force
09-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I've been liking the glitchier more random / offensive stuff.

Exile etc.

Have to agree there.....

I understand 'End user' is confirmed for glade as well

koma
09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
*pauses for thought*

well dnb came out from hardcore.. and hardcore came out from early belgian techno :cheese:

Jay Pace
09-05-2006, 12:13 PM
And there's loads of quality D&B being produced with techno influence these days....

Not aphrodite mind. He bangs a different drum.

Daire
09-05-2006, 01:08 PM

Oh do please tell!? :eyes:

Si the Sigh
09-05-2006, 01:45 PM
*pauses for thought*

well dnb came out from hardcore.. and hardcore came out from early belgian techno :cheese:

...without going back in time! :cheese: :lol:

dan the acid man
09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
i've always liked drum n' bass too

massplanck
09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
i've always liked drum n' bass too

always? what age are you? 14? :lol:

dan the acid man
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
ok, pedantic planck :lol: :lol:

i've liked drum and bass since i started getting into all types of dance music :upyours:

Stompinraver
14-05-2006, 11:10 PM
i dont understand why DJs would go through the hassle of mixing tunes on a pc, then pressing vinyl (which costs money/time) And keep doing it on a daily basis..oh well

278d7e64a374de26f==