PDA

View Full Version : just being nosey , but what gear do u lot use?

acidhead
07-09-2003, 01:14 AM
i do trance tho not on a pro level , still a yts really , i think i pretty much got the perfect trance setup tho, apart from a jupiter8 and andromeda. anyway what bits n bobs do u use for the techno sounds?

mostly samples , modulars and microwaves or what???

acidhead
08-09-2003, 12:14 AM
just a banjo and jews harp i take it then ?

EmotionComplex
08-09-2003, 12:56 AM
the secret techno code prevents them from divulging any information to trance producers :twisted:

Basil Rush
08-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Techno mostly comes out the sample library and trance seems to come out of the synths ...

DJZeMig_L
08-09-2003, 01:54 PM
lol... I guess i should change over 2 trance then ç ;)

PS - most samples can b synthesized... should b I dare say!?

:oops: :wink:

Z

Basil Rush
08-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Z - explain that one a bit ... ?

Synth's can be sampled I was with ... the other way I find a little more confusing :)

professor
08-09-2003, 03:02 PM
for example-

syn wave down octive or two + a little click at the front = 909 kick

check out spinwarp.com (DnB forum) and look at the tutorials section. There should still be an article about synthesizing drum sounds...cow bells, hats, snares, kicks, etc.

Basil Rush
08-09-2003, 04:14 PM
909 is a synth anyway :) Doesn't the pitch of the kick dive though a bit on a 909 ... funny thing about the 909 kick was that a mate of mine who had a band called the secret used to swear that you couldn't sample a 909 kick ... and I laughed and said of course you can.

Anyway, got a 909 in the studio one day and gave it a go, plugged it into the Akai S2000, hit record and **** me, it doesn't sound right.

Took me a while to spot this one but the transient is so fast the Akai seemed to miss it completely, either didn't start recording in time or the A/Ds (a bit dodgy at the best of times) just couldn't cope with the dead short high transient at the beginning.

Anyway, modern technology means I've got several decent 909 kick samples now ... but was thinking more about non-percussion sounds that come out of the sample library in techno ... loops and things ...

If you want a challenge you could try synthing a mark tree (long thing with small tubular wind chimes ...)

crime
08-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Techno mostly comes out the sample library and trance seems to come out of the synths ...

You obviously havn't heard much techno then....

DJZeMig_L
08-09-2003, 07:43 PM
sorry .. don't think what I meant came across all that well...

1st there is in my view a very big comeback 2 synths in Techno...
2nd U can start with a sampled sound and totally warp it into a new something... thus synthesizing it!

Check out crime's stuff 4 some top notch synth patch creation! ;)

Z

crime
08-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Synths rule.... especially really twisted mad synth sounds...
I use:
MPC 2000
Nord Modular
Studio Quad FX

crime
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
That's all I use for writing trax BTW, nothing else... I have an S 3000 but that's just gathering dust.. gets dragged out occacionally for a remix..

The Overfiend
08-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Crime, pat on the back. I have put money in your pocket many a times.
Thanks for the tunes.

DJZeMig_L
09-09-2003, 12:50 AM
lol that's 2 here here! ;)

Crime 4 president... keeping it totally real! ;)

Z

acidhead
09-09-2003, 02:02 AM
i use 95% synths and cant seem to get a hard sound (not as hard as i want anyway) would sampling the synths give me the fast attack for a harder sound?

any links crime??? :)

DJZeMig_L
09-09-2003, 02:21 AM
what exactly do u mean by hard sounds??

try seq. in 1/2 bar that generally creates a faster, hard pacing feel 2 the sequencing..

Z

healium
09-09-2003, 06:15 AM
Healium use
JP 8080
RMX 1
TB 303
Korg electribe A
Korg electribe S 2pcs.
Doepfer midi controller
+ some other stuff.

½Healium

Jimfish
09-09-2003, 08:08 AM
jimmah use:

mackie 24/8
phat pc & 828/vc8
m-one
mpc2000
yamaha an1x
mfc42 filter
electrix eq killer
electric mo-fx

I really want to move to digi02 but i just spent a load of money soting things after my pc died :(
im gonna go back to hardware sampling soon too - have you seen how cheap akai s6000s are now?

Basil Rush
09-09-2003, 12:48 PM

You obviously havn't heard much techno then....

Nah, was just talking about the way we do it ... just seems to happen like that!

crime
09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
any links crime??? :)

http://www.nuloop.com/Result2.php?artistget=MARK%20HAWKINS
http://www.substrata.com.au/A557D8/substrata.nsf/ArtistsWeb/Hawkins,+Mark

I don't really put my trax up for download ever, will be doing some previews of Crime 01 and 02 on the crime site soon though...

crime
09-09-2003, 02:08 PM
I personally think that "Sounds coming out of the sample library" isn't really going to help you with coming up with anything new.... This is what I love about using wierd synths such as the Nord Modular, Emu Audity and Morpheus, is you can make sounds that no-one has ever heard before... Yes, you can come up with mad stuff with samples, but I think severe sample mangling is neccesary, otherwise you're just going to end up sounding like the million and one other techno producers out there at the moment... As I've said a million times before though, it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.. When I was doing A+R for Uglyfunk, I heard one track that we put on UFU 002 that was done in Acid and Blew away other stuff we had bben sent that was done on loads of hardware.... It's the talent that shines through at the end of the day....

crime
09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah, another link I forgot:

http://www.uglyfunk.com/discography.shtml

Jimfish
09-09-2003, 02:15 PM
it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts..

and its so damn true

massplanck
09-09-2003, 04:06 PM
it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts..

and its so damn true

Can any ladies confirm this? Chrissi? ;)

Basil Rush
09-09-2003, 09:48 PM
I personally think that "Sounds coming out of the sample library" isn't really going to help you with coming up with anything new.... ....

Yeah, the sample library is a pretty dymanic place though ... stuff goes in as well as comes out. There's some loop, drums and all kinds that have been through a few tunes already, been re-edited, altered, had segments replaced with other sounds, processed again and bounced back down as two bar loops ... and a growing collection of things collected edited and messed with off old 7" sound effects vinyl ... so it's vaguely new, even if it is a collage (?things at school with loads of different pictures from magazines..) of old things

crime
10-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Not into the 2 bar loop, or much loop sampling at all.... makes for dull music... I think there's too many people who layer up loops instead of writing something themselves...

crime
10-09-2003, 08:46 AM
sound fx vinyl sounds interesting tho...

CHRISSI
10-09-2003, 01:08 PM
[quote=crime] it ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts..

and its so damn true

Can any ladies confirm this? Chrissi? ;)[/quote

I certainly can massplanck !! I'd like to think I can make sweet music hehe :P I've bin doin ok so far haven't I?? with the cooperation of a certain special being xxx

Seriously though, even if you have the most minimal of set ups, you can produce a stormer ! I think you tend to get to grips more with what equipment you have and learn it inside out. Then you can exploit it baby yeah :twisted:

C ;O0

278d7e64a374de26f==