PDA

View Full Version : Gender Equality

Davin
15-05-2006, 01:56 AM
I for one do not doubt, or ever have doubted a womans ability to step up to the ol' 1's and 2's and put on an equally good performance as the next person..................I just havent seen it very often..............at all!!
I know there are proven female techno dj's & producers out there eg Paula Temple, Miss Kittin, Gayle San but it just seems odd that there are so little!

I suppose the question I put to you is this - Why is this the case that woman are so massively out numbered in the Dj & production area of Electronic music...............I just find it odd!

I'd like if a few people could leave a few names down for me (and others) to look into!!
& for any ladies to leave a mix down as well!
;)

dirty_bass
15-05-2006, 02:19 AM
I think if you look at most musical genres except pop, the males have the majority.

djshiva
15-05-2006, 05:42 AM
firsly, a point to ponder: women are socialized a bit differently. whether we take to it or not, the fact is that from the getgo, we are taught to want different things. there are obviously people who do not fall for the socialization, but we are supposed to spend our time looking good and looking for a man, and to disregard our own needs in order to be caretakers for others. confidence is not a trait taught outright to women, even tho many of us suck it up and find the courage and the confidence to do what we want.

that said, there are a lot more women on the decks these days, but some still find it difficult to deal with the "boy's club" mentality. i personally don't give a shit and just do my thing, but it can be fairly intimidating if you are not an overly confident, obnoxious ****er like myself. :)

now for the blatant self-promotional blurb:
go to my website...download mixes...listen to tracks...and know that the sisters are bringin' it...

eyeswithoutaface
15-05-2006, 09:49 AM
ahhh this old chessnut

Buttman
15-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I think if you look at most musical genres except pop, the males have the majority.

I think you can look at all creative things requiring a larger amount of time/energy/effort and the males have the majority.
It is very sad.
I guess it has to do with the fact that society/ppl think it is OK with boy cpu nerds, boy hobby musicians/djs, boy amateur painters etc. etc. but if they were girls they would be totally disrespected and mistreated.

It's a man's world huh.

dirty_bass
15-05-2006, 10:57 AM
yeah, this is true.
Most of the art mediums are majority male.
Crazy really.

oldbugger
15-05-2006, 12:50 PM
women (in general) dont have that obsessive nature that us fellas seem to have.

they seem to be able to just like things rather than it being the be all and end all.

oldbugger
15-05-2006, 12:52 PM
and of course they are too busy cleaning,cooking and ironing and all that shit ;)

Roxy Trip
15-05-2006, 01:53 PM
i don't think women are scared about learning how to beatmatch , mix ect, if theyve got the drive then theyl do it . the thing that puts most women off is getting up and doing it infront of loads of people, men i just think are natuarlly better at that part.

i want to see an all female dj's club night instead of men for a change, :cheese:

MARKEG
15-05-2006, 02:47 PM
ahhh this old chessnut

have you got a problem with chestnuts scott? you obviously can't spell it very well for a start

:lol:

eyeswithoutaface
15-05-2006, 02:58 PM
http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgMP0163.jpg

Miromiric
15-05-2006, 04:05 PM
i d really want to bone a b*tch who`s immersed into music making, but i guess they spend to much time on creating strategies how to get boys, makeup, shopping, etc. :P

djshiva
15-05-2006, 06:50 PM
i d really want to bone a b*tch who`s immersed into music making, but i guess they spend to much time on creating strategies how to get boys, makeup, shopping, etc. :P

sarcastic or not, it's posts like this that tend to turn off women from getting involved.

on a more positive note, check out www.sistersf.com for an all female crew out of san francisco who have been doing their own thing for quite a few years now. not all techno, but great djs and a fun way of going about their dj nights. women are the residents, and if guys play, they play in drag. :) quite a few big names have been down for the drag thing, and it seems to add a silly element to a fun night.

Buttman
15-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I'd do drag! Get me over.

oldbugger
15-05-2006, 08:07 PM

sarcastic or not, it's posts like this that tend to turn off women from getting involved.

if that put a woman of dj'n coz she read that she must be a stupid bitch anyway. i really dont get all this anti sexist bullshit.

men take the piss out of everyone. why should women be excluded :lol:

its not sexist. its just how we are. ;)

Miromiric
15-05-2006, 08:25 PM
i`ll do drag! if b*tches are fit...

Davin
15-05-2006, 08:48 PM
The reason why i put this topic up for discussion was, after listening to Miss Kittin Live @ Fuse I realised that I hadn't heard a female dj in the mix before and i was genuinely surprised at how good she was!!
Obviously I knew that there were female dj's out there who had talent in production and djing but she for example is a much better dj than alot of male ones I've been listening to of late!!

I'll give your mix's a listenin' to as well Shiva...................Miss Kittin set a pretty high standard for you though ;)

Miromiric
15-05-2006, 08:55 PM
yes, miss kittin is amazing

djshiva
15-05-2006, 09:31 PM

if that put a woman of dj'n coz she read that she must be a stupid bitch anyway. i really dont get all this anti sexist bullshit.

men take the piss out of everyone. why should women be excluded :lol:

its not sexist. its just how we are. ;)

mmmhmmm...time after time, people prove my point without me having to say a word.

djshiva
15-05-2006, 09:35 PM
The reason why i put this topic up for discussion was, after listening to Miss Kittin Live @ Fuse I realised that I hadn't heard a female dj in the mix before and i was genuinely surprised at how good she was!!
Obviously I knew that there were female dj's out there who had talent in production and djing but she for example is a much better dj than alot of male ones I've been listening to of late!!

I'll give your mix's a listenin' to as well Shiva...................Miss Kittin set a pretty high standard for you though ;)

hehe...i been at it for 11 years...i have set higher standards for myself than anyone else could possibly know...enjoy!

DJ Becka
17-05-2006, 05:27 AM

lol.....where the f**k have you been that Miss Kittin is the first female dj you've heard in the mix? I know there arent as many women djs as there are males, but comm'on - you cannot be serious that you've never heard any other female djs play? Ever? :lol:

Aside from that - I couldnt tell you why there arent so many women in the industry....maybe women have different priorities - you know the stereotypes where we're supposed to be barefoot, pregnant, and slaving over a hot stove taking care of our men rather than doing things like spinning records and making music. I feel like we're beating a dead horse with this topic - havent we discussed this a zillion times already? Pfffft......

By the way, Miss Shiva rocks......I've heard her mixes and productions and it kicks some serious ass ;)

And if you want to hear something of mine, here's a little link for you: www.gothamgrooves.net/becka/becka_feb06mix.mp3

I have a few others online, but I'm too tired right now to dig them up at the moment :razz:

eyeswithoutaface
17-05-2006, 09:58 AM
miss kitten really is terrible, compared to say Paula Temple she's bloody laughable

Ellen Allien is pretty good, Miss Djax is wikid and also Gayle San has impressed me in the past

force
17-05-2006, 10:34 AM
I've downloaded mixes by Miss Shiva, Becka and Gayle San, and they all bloody ROCK................. So there :)

Frank Dogshit
17-05-2006, 10:35 AM
i take back my slagging of mistress barbara too,i saw her a few weeks ago and she was impressive to say the least.

choice of tunes couldnt fault one bit,off 3 decks too.

278d7e64a374de26f==