PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the same computer for producing/internet etc?

michael00elder
15-05-2006, 09:43 PM
I've been using the same computer for producing (Reason 3 and Sonar 5 & VSTi's) and all the other crap like internet games etc.

I know you don't need to be an I.T. expert to tell me that it would be far better keeping this machine for producing and use a seperate one for all the other crap. (it's not a bad machine - P4 2.4Ghz/1Gb Ram/370 Gb's of HD space) I've actually got a second semi-decent pc sitting next to it gathering dust but I'm such a lazy bas**rd, I can never be f**ked to do anything about it.

I just recently found out about these KVM switch boxes and that would be ideal cause I'm seriously stretched for space, but I just wondered if you lot were the same or whether you think it is demented to use the same computer for everything.

Also, I know this sounds stupid and it's not as if I'm some s**t hot producer or nowt but how feasable is the scenario of someone being able to hack your computer and steal your tunes. Is this just paranoia?

dan the acid man
15-05-2006, 10:37 PM
somebody could hack your pc and steal your tunes, but the chances of that happening are minimal really, just make sure you run a decent firewall, routers with inbuilt firewalls are also a good extra security measure i'd advise you to use.

if i had more money and space then i'd have an audio only pc, but at this moment in time i can't

RDR
16-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Audio PC entirely seperate from Internet PC. There's no other way in my book, mainly because i can strip out Telephony and IP related components from windows on the audio PC, making it super stable.

stjohn
16-05-2006, 02:17 PM
do go on dodge.... what can ye do to stabilise? i recently got a new computer, but only have 1 monitor, so i couldnt be arsed changin over from old to new.

michael, make sure to get hold of service pack2, AVG free, Reg mechanic and run checks frequently, and stay off obvious sites that tend to infest your machine!

dan the acid man
16-05-2006, 03:07 PM
as for firewalls, jetico make a really excellent one, and its free.

fresh_an_funky_design
16-05-2006, 06:09 PM
i doubt hacking is really a problem, your hardly the pentagon.
with pc's id say your main prob is virus's

TechMouse
16-05-2006, 06:16 PM
i doubt hacking is really a problem, your hardly the pentagon.
with pc's id say your main prob is virus's
Replace that with Spyware / Adware / Malware and I'd agree with you.

I have had a virus maybe once in all the time I can remember.

I get weird spyware stuff pop up all the time.

RDR
17-05-2006, 09:46 AM
In the computer management console under XP and 2k its possible to go into the llist of running services and stop or disable them.

start>control panel>services. You can then stop services you wont need if not connected to the internet.

Such as..

DNS client
Internet connection
Net logon
Net meeting remote

and this one i just saw... WTF is it? i dont know.. techmouse???

"MS Software Shadows CopyProvider... sound dodgy to me...

Portable Media Serial Number
Print Spooler
TCP/Ip
Telnet
Telephony

Theres other as well in that list, but be careful, not all the glitters is gold and a lot of these services you will need to run your machine properly... but some of them you can get rid of.

Anyone care to chip in with negatives/positivs? I've personally never had a problem, but then each user is different as is each machine.

HTH

BloodStar
17-05-2006, 11:33 AM
install two WindowsXP, each into separate partition. Then during startup select the one you want to need,eg Audio, or Internet., and there you go. I have it this way and works smoothly. It is good to have both systems on one computer,at least you can spare some place in the room :)

stjohn
17-05-2006, 09:47 PM
good advice BLoodStar.....might giv that a try

MARKEG
17-05-2006, 10:30 PM
yeah there's now way in hell i would have my internet on my pc. what with all the crap i download it would only be a matter of days before it's running at half the speed it should do ;)

xfive
17-05-2006, 11:28 PM
You guys must download some weird shit.
I have mine online and it runs as smoothly as it did the day I installed it.

Just have to be smart about some things obviously.

Analog.1
18-05-2006, 07:09 AM
I have my hard drive dual partitioned. Copy of Windows XP Pro on each partition. One is my general mess about partition what has internet access and games installed, etc and the other partition is for audio software only. I've optimized the audio partition with the help of www.musicxp.net and it runs very very smooth and fast. When you dual partition your drive and install 2 windows XP when u boot your computer it comes up with a nice little menu asking u what partition you want to boot. Its a good idea to keep your general internet partition as the first lettered drive then keep your audio stuff on the last lettered drive. This is just incase old badly written software might write over the registry on the other partition, but u dont have to worry about that as much with newer written software.

Elvio Neto
18-05-2006, 12:05 PM
i allways have only one pc for everything

i use pc sinze 1986

get a good firewall and a good antivirus and its all

antivirus = NOD32

firewall = OUTPOST

anti adware = ADWARE LAVASOFT

anti spyware = SPYBOOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

the too last soluçions are free only the antivirus and firewall are payd

but its the best firewall and antivirus on the market they are professional solutions

and dont are heavy for the system

norton or mcafee are not good solutions enymore they get infested of virus and then cant clean them and are very heavy for the system they use allmoust all ram of your pc

i never get virus or anyting like that outpost firewall is a anti spyware and adware too

i have 2x 160gb hardrives one for operation system other for my stuff ( music,samples ,refills etc) if my system one day get virus i just have to format windows hardrive

afraid of hackars stole your tracks... allmoust everyone share their tracks on internet :)

but with this softwares the hackars cant stole nothing

dan the acid man
18-05-2006, 08:14 PM
outpost is very good, but it's not actually as good as jetico who make a free version

see the article here http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php

Elvio Neto
19-05-2006, 01:02 AM
thanks dan the acid man

i didnt know that firewall

maybe i check jetico becouse outpost is a little hell to configure

Analog.1
19-05-2006, 05:07 PM
nice link dan the acid man. anyone know of good anti virus software that isnt bloatware?

BloodStar
19-05-2006, 05:11 PM
anyone know of good anti virus software that isnt bloatware?

I am using AVG and works well. check http://www.grisoft.com

278d7e64a374de26f==