PDA

View Full Version : Funky Style Basslines

ThePipper
19-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi, I make tribal/funky/driving style of techno (Tom Hades, Bonriqua Tribez, Mojado, Kobaya, to name a few). Anyone have information on how to construct funky basslines? I am use cubase and usually use Kontak to make my basslines.

I'm having trouble setting up the pattern as it does not work with the overall mix. Perhaps someone has a link to funky style midi basslines that I can learn and take example from.

messyfuture
19-05-2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/portal/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=47581

have a look at this thread might be some help

loopdon
19-05-2006, 02:24 PM
i will re-up those midis when i find them :)

dirty_bass
19-05-2006, 08:47 PM
This is my forte I guess, bass lines in general.
Can`t really give much better advice than learn music.
There is no set way of doing things.
Learn music, and look at the scales used by "funky" music, preferably not techno.
In fact, just listen to some james brown and some old dub and jazz, and rip off some of their basslines, it`s a good place to start.

Also learning bass guitar works wonders.

rhythmtech
19-05-2006, 08:53 PM
actually thats something i really wanna try. get a lend of a fender jazz, stick it through some old pedal like a dirty muff or something and record some filthy b-lines for tracks...

thanx for reminding me steve!!!

Elvio Neto
20-05-2006, 04:52 PM

sorry the off topic

FORTE means strong in portuguese

here are you from mate? brazil? portugal? cabo verde? angola? timor? macau? mozambique? guine? goa? or other portuguese language contries ?

ThePipper
21-05-2006, 05:13 AM
i will re-up those midis when i find them :)

Sweet thanks! I saw your post with the midi file, but the link was dead, so I figure that I might as well repost.

Regarding the bassline, I've been told to "really" compress it, so it drives the track, and to also cut frequencies below 60-40 hz to get rid of the muddiness. Some of the kick's lower frequencies need to be present in the mix.

I'm also going to look into James Brown/old Dub and Jazz tracks as someone suggested earlier. I want to stay away from ripping (though it will help me get familar with the structure), I hope to create originality.

fresh_an_funky_design
21-05-2006, 11:35 AM

sorry the off topic

FORTE means strong in portuguese

here are you from mate? brazil? portugal? cabo verde? angola? timor? macau? mozambique? guine? goa? or other portuguese language contries ?

also a brand of rather tasty ice cream

eyeswithoutaface
21-05-2006, 11:56 AM
it states quite clearly that Steve is from the Singularity

dirty_bass
22-05-2006, 01:13 AM
it states quite clearly that Steve is from the Singularity

It ain`t where I`m from, but it`s where I am going.

eyeswithoutaface
22-05-2006, 02:17 AM
forgive my confusion Steve, i presumed you'd made it!

dan the acid man
22-05-2006, 09:10 AM
is nobody off to popularity now then :(

278d7e64a374de26f==