PDA

View Full Version : the PHAT-AS-HELL 303 techniques thread

MARKEG
19-05-2006, 02:43 PM
well chrissi and i have been given the opportunity to work on a new acid project, we actuallly did an acid house track for woody last year and it was one of my fave times in the studio :)

so look i thought it might be nice to start a topic on how to make a 303 sound PHAT AS HELL!!!!

well one of the best techniques for using a roland tb-303 i heard was old batterys hehehe but what about using that audio realism bassline plugin for those of us that havent got the original silver box...

i was messin with the psp mixsaturator on one of the tape settings with this and got some wicked results. obviously distortion is the key here and that izotope distortion plugin was doing some nice stuff for me too.

any other ideas or suggestions anyone???

TechMouse
19-05-2006, 03:00 PM
I found if you get a 303 and get it on a really repetitive pattern, then run it through delay with high feedback you get a really phat noise. It's kind of limited, but good for effect.

Electrictribe
19-05-2006, 03:13 PM
agree isotopes trash and ozone are good on a 303. Always have problems getting the 303 to keep it weight in the mix with so many dips and highs in the sound when i tweaking.

dan the acid man
19-05-2006, 03:20 PM
stick some chorus on them acid lines

MARKEG
19-05-2006, 03:42 PM
agree isotopes trash and ozone are good on a 303. Always have problems getting the 303 to keep it weight in the mix with so many dips and highs in the sound when i tweaking.

why not use the l2 on the plugin chain and limit the shit out of it????

:)

Analog.1
19-05-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.chrisguitars.com/boss-mt2-031023.jpg

rhythmtech
19-05-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.chrisguitars.com/boss-mt2-031023.jpg

fender frontline distrortion pedal for a real 303 (phattest pedal ever.. doesnt give that horrible metal distortion either. just nice phat overdrive)

for the audiorealism bassline i use antares tube booster.. lovely phat sound out of it and i always double track the same line and stick it through a group channel with some sonalksis compression.

loopdon
19-05-2006, 08:18 PM
i heard yesterday to double the same 16 note pattern on two channels, then do a manual automation of both high and lowpass on one of the two channels (or maybe a plugion like filterscape or minion or sth.) then add some verb for heckmanish stylee.

i have heard you are advised to use the internal sequencer in the plugins (either phoscydon or audiorealism bassline, in that order :) ) and make good use of accents.

+ i have some tipps in a mag i bought a while ago i will dig them out.

messyfuture
19-05-2006, 08:34 PM
its the silde function on the tb that gets effects

rhythmtech
19-05-2006, 08:42 PM
i have heard you are advised to use the internal sequencer in the plugins (either phoscydon or audiorealism bassline, in that order :) ) and make good use of accents.

depends what you're after.. if you want that mind twisting acid sound then the internal sequencer is the one, but if you want barking single notes here and there then use the DAW sequencer.

dirty_bass
19-05-2006, 08:44 PM
The only software that comes reasonably close to doing the 303 sound is the audioRealism Bassline. Althought hat still doesn`t quite do it properly.
However, fo that control/london acid city, wide phat ass sound, there`s a number of things to do.

Square wave gives the nice round full sound.
Bung on some chorus for extra phatness.
Antares tube plug in, as it`s all about overdrive and not distortion.
Accent command. It really is the feature. On audio realism I think any note velocity over 100 triggers the note accent.
Note slides also work wonders.

sash
20-05-2006, 01:05 PM
what about degrader plug ins like resampling at 12bit 14,000hz or somethin to get some dirt n grit on it?

also isnt adding chorus a no no to anything below 350/300hz?

vadarfone
20-05-2006, 05:29 PM
This is all good.

Remember also, WHERE you let the 303 kick in.. Less is more after all...

Like someone said before, the 303 sounds will occupy a lot of the audio spectrum and is relatively uncontrollable if you want to maintain the instruments intended voice... So instead of mega band limiting through compression and limiting (this is all good for getting the power sound), why not try being musical with it and giving it it's own space in the track... cutting the sound between the other heavy hitting sounds will make it stand out and make your stuff more funky... Not sure if you can actually learn this though :)

FILTERZ
21-05-2006, 02:03 PM
if you have an analogue desk try overloading the channel , careful though.

Dave Elyzium
22-09-2006, 02:50 PM
my favourite sound is the "evil" acid lines...program ur 303 or audiorealism using notes C, C# and G# for that creeping evil vibe...the best sound i find at the moment is running Audiorealism on a square wave setting through a mild chorus, a medium length reverb with plenty of pre delay from Guitar Rig, then through a tape delay in PSP84 and finally limiting it.

heres a clip i just whacked out to show you what i mean:

http://www.dave-elyzium.co.uk/media/acid.mp3

rhythmtech
22-09-2006, 04:03 PM
something i tried out recently

firstly antares tubebooster (a must)

then double the track

use a stereo width modifier to get one sounding dead centre then use a plug called "wide-boy" (a stereo width modifier with a differance).. i used the first preset called "spacial fattness".

leave your first channel fairly standard eq wise, but cut everything below the high mids on the widened channel... total phatness.

this is the result (its the second 303 that creeps in at about 2:30

www.chrome-metronome.net/rhythmtechnologies/rhythm_technologies-inside_the_matrix.mp3

Dave Elyzium
22-09-2006, 04:17 PM
that sounds sweet mate funky ass pattern is the key here too ;)

sleepy
22-09-2006, 06:54 PM
If anyone wants to post up some patterns it would be much appreciated :)

rhythmtech
22-09-2006, 07:51 PM
If anyone wants to post up some patterns it would be much appreciated :)

y? they're piss easy to write!!

force
22-09-2006, 09:06 PM
They are you know!

Although a mate of mine found a load of 'Hardfloor' patterns online somewhere.

HOW much fun, playing with Acperience?

thetonewrecka
23-09-2006, 12:37 AM
I like to run a cable out to the driveway and park a nasty ol' V8 Cadillac there that has the gas drained from it. I take an Ipod headphone speaker and dangle it down into the empty gas tank with my lil' acid bass barking away through it. Now I've at the back of the car, I've rammed a mic into the exhaust pipe and fed that signal back down to the studio where it is recording back to cassette tape. In the car I start pressing on the gas pedal to open up the carboratuer valve and let the sound feed through the entire internal pathway. By the time it finally reaches the exhaust pipe, it is pissed off and a whole lot bigger than it was when it entered that fossil fuel funhouse.

*note - make sure you empty the tank. The first time I did this in the garage with the car running, the mic plugged up the tailpipe and I nearly died from Co2 poisoning as I jammed out on the gas pedal pretending I was working the resonance knob in Hardfloor's Acperience for an hour!

danielmarshall
23-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Ooookaaay... lol

I like to double up my basslines, one an octave below the other, then run them all through Wave MaxBass. That tip from rhythemtech is a goodie too, though I use a chorus effect to bring on the phatness. Don't forget to put a high pass filter on the signal that gets the chorus though.

Andy
23-09-2006, 08:44 PM
If theres any powercore users here?
Then put the powercore 24/7 compressor on your audiorealism channel and overdrive it!
Limiting so it sits neatly and nice distortion too

Also try the powercore 01 synth for acid, different sound to abl. ive been using both in my tracks

Also been routing things out of cubase and into other gear like the inputs on my virus and using the distortion, chorus, filters.

also been gaining my dj mixer too(rane ttm56), I bet even the cheapest or crapest of old mixers would work, so if you got an old one in the loft get it out and give it a try!

works for kicks and other sounds as well

278d7e64a374de26f==