PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the tribal?

anx
23-05-2006, 02:03 AM
maybe im just out of the loop but i have not really heard very many strong tribal releases when i go shoppin for tunes....but (i dont think hard techno tracks with chanting conga breakdowns can be called tribal tho...hehe),

i used to be into tribal tracks like the stuff varela (have not heard much greatness from him in ages!), sims, surgeon, broom, technasia, beyer even made some wicked tribal, ben long (space djz too) etc. would release, and now i have noticed that most of them are onto different styles or have slowed down in the production in the last while..

what do you think....is tribal techno definatly not as popular as it was?

if you know of anyone pressin some good tribal lemme know...

dirty_bass
23-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I find a lot of the Regis/Surgeon/Ruskin and imitators and soundalikes fairly tribal.
It`s slower, more drummy and percussion based, with a fair bit of funk and swing.
If you are talking about the more ethno based, bongo congo stuff. I think thats just died.

Davin
23-05-2006, 02:19 AM
If you are talking about the more ethno based, bongo congo stuff.

The Overfiend
23-05-2006, 02:33 AM
I still do it with a passion.
So does Ben Sims, Paul Mac and the likes.

machina
23-05-2006, 03:55 AM
yeah - i think it just got boring and died... the Regis/Surgeon/Ruskin style stuff has a little bit of tribal feel but is definately more industrial/dark sounding... the old tribal of varela, christian smith, etc just died - there's only so much you can do with a kick drum and a conga loop ;)

machina

dirty_bass
23-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I think about every ethnic sample loop has been used so many times it gets tiresome.
There`s more to tribal than wacking in some ethnic loops.
You can be tribal without any ethnic percussion at all. It`s more to do with the feel, the shuffle, the percussion emphasis, and hypnotic nature.

anx
23-05-2006, 04:28 AM
yea i figured that was the case

i guess tribal has just changed over time....

and if i here that cave track with the 5 minute long conga breakdown one more time....
dun dun dun dun dun dun dun...dun dun DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN..DUN DUN hah that onomatapidic thread has gotten to me

conflict
23-05-2006, 08:17 AM
carl falk has made some decent stuff recently, you might wanna check him out

killarava2day
23-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I like the tribal stuff that Kobaya, Marco Nastic and Veztax are making.

BloodStar
23-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Samuel L Session or Bando comes to my mind..

Si the Sigh
23-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Ingoma. :dance:

Elvio Neto
23-05-2006, 02:32 PM
michael angelo was good in tribal techno

FuK-NuT
23-05-2006, 03:56 PM
rodell..drumworks..get in...

loopdon
23-05-2006, 04:45 PM
i suppose people have become sick of these loops both the producers and audience. if you know some samplecds you can't help but spot some loops in tracks over and over and over again.
i think i have heard one loop in sims, umek, etc. etc. that's kinda lame :eyes:

loopdon
23-05-2006, 04:46 PM
i suppose people have become sick of these loops both the producers and audience. if you know some samplecds you can't help but spot some loops in tracks over and over and over again.
i think i have heard one loop in sims, umek, etc. etc. that's kinda lame :eyes:

err and i never liked caves stuff, neither production wise - nor arrangement wise. i really disliked this 5 minute conga whatever break that was allready mentioned here.

anx
23-05-2006, 06:24 PM
yea it was pretty overkill eh

hertz is a tribal dude that is still pushing it....

278d7e64a374de26f==