PDA

View Full Version : Should i bother getting the hr624?

RichieV
10-09-2003, 12:44 AM
or does it make more sense to just get the hr824?

i have the tannoys now

MARKEG
10-09-2003, 08:06 AM
yeah i wanna know the answer to this too.

DJZeMig_L
10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
The Mackies r seen by most has the new standard, the r good at what they do and seem 2 b adopted across a wide variety of studios and music types (electronic and not so...).

So 4 this I would b inclined 2 say yes...

Also Having 2 studio monitors can giv ya a much better ideia of yer sound being right or not... I mean lots of studios have more than 1 monitor setup..

Example : Cisco has Yamaha's ns10 + Quested !(for loud referencing).

Z

Basil Rush
10-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Which Tannoys do you have?

The Mackies sound pretty much as nice as the Genelec's which is saying something .... Had some Tannoy PBM 6.5's once, they were terrible compared with these.

Adverse
10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
yes but if you do that make sure you get a woofer to boot ( you don;t have to get the mackie woofer or nothing.. but the 624's have a shorter range (low) than the 824's... 624' or 824 you should always think about a woofer to boot.. 824 better range... 624 more precise monitoring.

DJZeMig_L
10-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Humm... don't mean 2 contradict ya but Ive heard lots of people complaining about having sub bass... why ? cause it's generally very hard 2 find the right volume balance.. so 2 most of them it has become a sort of personal strugle 2 find how loud it should sound.

Z

The hr 824 should b more than enought me thinks... yeah genelecs 1030a also rock!

acidhead
10-09-2003, 08:55 PM
how big is your room ? how far away from the walls and corners are the speakers going to be mounted ? what shape is the room ? what listening levels are you planning to monitor on ?

no point getting speakers that do 18hz sub bass @ -3db when your room is 8ft x 8ft and u have the speakers pushed right up into the corners as your bass levels will be about +6db higher by the time it reaches your ears thanks to room acoustics and standing waves. same as its no point getting a speaker that rolls off at 80hz to listen in a large room etc.

u cant just say "are speaker X better than speaker Y?" , the only way to find out is by getting a nice dealer who will let you try a few different monitors and spending a couple of days with each one.

in 1997 i went thru about 8 different pairs of hifi speakers in 6 weeks to get a perfect sound in my living room , its gonna be the same with monitors in your studio .... suck it and see :)

ps , perfect speaker placement tips .
divide the room into an imaginary grid of 13 x 9 , put the speakers where those imaginary lines cross , should have tweaters at ear height and at least 2 ft from side walls and 1 ft from rear walls (depending on speaker) but definately NOT placed in corners of the room. angle them slightly towards the listening position,
play a mono vocal track (put mixer into mono mode) and sit and close your eyes - the voice should sound like its comming from a small point source dead centre in the middle of the 2 speakers , if its not then adjust the angle in a bit more until its the smallest you can make it.
when you have done that - play a track from a cd on a good quality cd player or something and prepare to be blown away (i use roger waters - amused to death as its recorded in Q-sound)

another good way is to buy this the XLO reference recordings - test and burn in cd :)

Patrick DSP
10-09-2003, 09:36 PM
there's bass and then there's boom

get the sub no matter what cause it will help paint a good picture of your low frequencies

speakers in the corner in a small room will just give you boom and not an accurate picture of the sound that is actually being made.

does that make sense?!

RichieV
10-09-2003, 10:45 PM
what i was asking is

i have heard really good things about mackie hr824
Apparantly the hr624 are the exact same speaker only smaller.

My question is , is there really that much of an advantage to shell out the extra cash for hr 824 s?

RichieV
10-09-2003, 10:51 PM
what i was asking is

i have heard really good things about mackie hr824
Apparantly the hr624 are the exact same speaker only smaller.

My question is , is there really that much of an advantage to shell out the extra cash for hr 824 s?

acidhead
10-09-2003, 10:53 PM
as i said - it depends on your room size :D

the dual cones of the mackies may swamp your bass end too much, if your room is big then you will need more bass so go for the bigger speakers , if it isnt then dont.

they both are supposed to sound very similar apart from the bass roll off , up2 u

miromiric.
11-09-2003, 12:11 AM
yes yes if u have da cash buy hr824!

DJZeMig_L
12-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Although Acid is absolutly right I don't tend 2 make my decisions by my room size, i find tha more than often I have changed rooms or even House...

I would rather go 4 the best I can get on my budget and the adapt...

If u have the cash get the hr824...

My humble 2 cents,

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==