PDA

View Full Version : rory st john - bring down babylon [dark hard funk]

stjohn
30-05-2006, 06:21 PM
http://www.chrome-metronome.net/babylon_master.mp3

im having trouble with the kick in places...
what yiz think?

loopdon
02-06-2006, 02:35 PM
pretty good sound/production! i'd like it more driving and dancefloor-friendly but maybe that's just me! get's a little (too) crusty due to bitcrush or dist or sth. esp later on but i am just not great a fan of dist so maybe that's just me.

this is really wicked, though and i wonder why i am the first one to respond?

rhythmtech
02-06-2006, 03:21 PM
^^ what he said.

you know i like me stuff a little more easily accesible rory but thats not to take away from this. hard and dark and tough. nice.

lau
02-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah sounding good......

I just had some problems with the stereo work here and there.... some sounds lean to much to one side....

Dope track tho...!!

stjohn
02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I just had some problems with the stereo work here and there.... some sounds lean to much to one side....

know exactly what your on about. ive been ginving the ears a few days off, just while we have abit of sun, then im going to mix it down again. thanks lads!

Mindful
04-06-2006, 12:11 AM
loving this first break, nice and atmospheric.
Yeah mate this little tom(or whatever it is) groove is dope and I like this sound (like a mono pad drone that plays on the first beat of the bars)its got a good feeling.
nice and intresting thruout , lots of changes.
theres a few mix problems maybe, some things I feel could be clearer.I must say that I like the kick and bass and the way it sounds kind of fuzzy and warm.

good stuff, Im realy feeling the music you've posted this yeah skeez ; )

stjohn
04-06-2006, 12:14 AM
cheers mate
any ideas on the mix??? im haveing a fiddle now...just trying to balance everything.....but i have a feelin i wont be able to get the same effect. ive too much going on.

Mindful
04-06-2006, 12:34 AM
*Im realy feeling the music you've posted this yeah * is supposed to say ....Im realy feeling the music you've posted this YEAR.

anyhow, the mix..... Im not sure, Its sounds to me as tho theres alot of sounds swollowed op by the power of the bottom end or that there could be some better seperation in the mids(Atmosphere pads and perks)Or it may be just as simple as lowering the level of the bass (or bass of the kick) in the mix
Maybe its just the fact that I have been listening to music pretty loud non stop for the past week tho and my ears are a little tired so yknow, wait for some more comments perhaps.
Ill listen at home again when my ears are rested.

stjohn
04-06-2006, 08:26 PM
i fiddled with the mix and cleared up the high end for the kick... so heres the new link if you want to have a goosey

cheers
http://www.chrome-metronome.net/babylonE_master.mp3

lau
04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
This mix is sounding loads better.....!!

really dope!!!

:rambo:

gavinj3
12-06-2006, 01:00 AM
this was good enough to be broken into two seperate tunes, open up that first mix you did with that melody and keep the original party vibe that it had when you first wrote it, liked the raw feel that had, esp when you locked the last note of the molody and let it roll. was good enough for a full on funky track. the second part that you added could be made into a rough dark track . let the dj do the work to get from one to the other. .. .

BloodStar
13-06-2006, 03:00 PM
good tune. listening to the 2nd link. ilike all those little quirky sounds here and there; also edits and breaks are good and fits there well. production part of thing is good, maybe there is little inbalance between hi and lows. but i can be wrong as i am on the headphones:. good track, anyway. like it a lot around 2:45. goood:

dirty_bass
13-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I like this.
The atmos and overall fell is nice, fresh sounding, very techno.

Mix wise, I see quite a few problems (I`m a hard critic though)

Well, firstly, the kick lacks real size in the mix, so I think it could be larger, and maybe coupled with a more live sounding kick, so it has nice bottom end from the original, and a little mid range slap from another.

The lack of weight in the kick, throws the balance off with the hats, so the groove, which would be strong, lacks impact.

I`d maybe pull back some of the verb in the mix too, as it makes the mix a little too airy.

all the top end stuff is really nice.

The mid range could maybe do with alittle more punch as well. Some better cutting with Subtractive EQ will help give some more clarity to the mid range percussion.

So overall, love it, but the tune as a whole is weighted too much to the top end.

278d7e64a374de26f==