PDA

View Full Version : compression question....

lau
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Just a short compression question....

Do you guys ever use automation on your compression......??

It feels really weird doing it.... I kinda felt like I shouldnt... dunno why.. but maybe thats why Im asking this question.....

so.........?

rhythmtech
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
if i want a very heavily compressed overall sound i'll use automation on the output so that the quiter moments dont jump out too much..

or if im sidechaining and i want the sidechained instrument to jump out for a second or two, then i'll autom8 the bypass.

other than that no.

acidsaturation
02-06-2006, 10:46 AM
It feels really weird doing it.... I kinda felt like I shouldnt... dunno why.. but maybe thats why Im asking this question.....

It's funny that isn't it - we do still really feel naughty sometimes when doing things that are outside the "rules", even though we're about pushing boundaries and experimenting...

lau
03-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Kool, so Im sure I wont be doing anything illegal :)

dirty_bass
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Why not ey?

I wouldn`t start automating compression if it sits over the whole mix, as you are gonna cause all sorts of mastering problems.
But anywhere else, sure, do it.

RDR
03-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Defo on the sidechain, but only by proxy - for instance not sending the program material to it so the pumping stops and the dynamic raise up but are flat.

lau
03-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I was mainly trying it towards the end of breaks, or just when the beat kicks in after a break.... letting some sounds come up by playing with the treshold.....

As for playing with the compression on my master, I dont.... If due to overcompression the sound pops up when there is no kick I always use my gains to level the volume... If I'd automate the master compression I wouldnt be able to tweak it afterwards anymore.... ( only by adjusting the automation date, which sux....)

Kool.. so Ill experiment a bit more with this...

:rambo:

Mindful
03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
No I forbid it (said God)
But Im techno, I can do whatever I like (said I)
Do you question my reason? (said God)
**** yeah, you make trance mate (said I)
Fair play to you then geezer, go for it my child(said God)
Techno? thats for pussies, you wanna start experimenting with rapecore industrialism (said Satan)
Eat my Balls (said I)
gladly (said satan)
He then ate my balls
Serves you right you little shit kicker (said God)

lau
04-06-2006, 02:24 AM
:lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==