PDA

View Full Version : BA forum member: Sam Horam - techno mix cd review

Col
13-09-2003, 10:26 PM
sam horam-august mix 2003

the way in which this mix cd was programmed fell nothing short of superb, every track that sam brought in, complimented the last, and added that extra edge to the direction of the set. the tracks were kept short 'n' sweet, and with that, the result was an incredibly fresh mix cd. 33 tracks within 1 hour basically tells the story...you do the maths. the mix began nicley, with sam laying down some percussive funky grooves and finished nicley, with some thoughtful breaks style techno, and the journey inbetween it all was a more than pleasureable one.

with their been 33 tracks within 1 hour, sam left an almost unimaginable task ahead of him, with around 1min to cue each track, tight mixing was going to be very difficult. infact i dont think 99% of dj's wouldnt pull this off... sam did, and he did it in style. the resulting mixes were beutifully sustained, tight, smooth, and consistent all throughout the entire cd. the ability shown within this cd even put techno god jeff mills to shame. it was simply that good.

overall sam showed all the attributes required to be a great dj, his all-round ability, and proffesionalism is quite unbelivable.

my opinion may count for nothing, but any techno promoter happening to read this, should either download this mix, or request a copy of this very cd. (availible from the techno filez section: sam horam- august 2003) you will not be dissapointed, infact if sam doesnt find numerous bookings from this mix cd alone, i'll eat the crusty boxershorts that i havent changed for the past 3 and a half months.

there are 2 words to describe this cd...FU*KING AWSOME!!! it really is a privilige to own this cd, it really is that good.

sam horam you are a legend in the making! all the best in the future mate, keep hammering out demo's like that, and you'll have no probs securing gigs. :wink:

marks out of 10: 9.5 (i'll be pushed to find a better cd)

tioneb
14-09-2003, 05:18 PM
hahah man i agree this mix is good, but i really wonder why you thnik that a great thing he spins 33 tracks in one hour... i know several members of this board who dan do this...

if the solid track selection is a good argument to explain the mix is good (i agree wiht you though there is a bit too much sims/theory/ingoma stuff in this mix) the fact that the guy cues fast make me laugh a bit.

Sam_Horam
14-09-2003, 07:04 PM
just to clear up the mix was done on 3 decks.

on 2 decks i've done a mix before with 45 tracks in an hour.

i don't think playing 33 tracks an hour is particularly impressive - i don't think it really matters.

cheers

Sam_Horam
14-09-2003, 07:07 PM
that last post made it sound like i think playing 45 tracks an hour is impressive too.

that wasn't the point.

all i meant was that it's not the number of tracks - it's the mix as a whole. so whether it's 45, 33 or whatever who cares...

Adverse
14-09-2003, 07:14 PM
you shouldn't even pay any mind to him sam.

tioneb
14-09-2003, 07:16 PM
yeah i agree thats not the thing to care about thats what i wanted to say... music is the most important whatever the way youre doing it. of course i didnt want to say somethingbada bout this mix,i like it.

odd you go faster on 2decks, personnally i go fater on 3... i have one question : do you chose what you will play before??? i mean if its technically possible to play 45 tracks in one hour (more is also possible) it doesn give you time to thnik to what you will play... so to me you can do this

1) recording a set in yout home with tracklisiting established in advance
2) playing records who would anyway fit togetehr whatever the order you play them
3) do not care about crowd's reaction in a gig

so except when you record this without crowd that sounds not possible to make a "clever" mix playing that fast even if onc emore i say that technically i wont feel imprressed if you play under 60 recs an hour

tioneb
14-09-2003, 07:20 PM
sorry for those who take this bad. that wasnt my intetion, ill shut up i thnik that will sound beter to you all.

Sam_Horam
14-09-2003, 07:23 PM
I think I understand what your saying...

I don't plan my sets before hand.

There are certain mixes that I like and will play those records together regularly.

Apart from that whilst I'm mixing I think about what I'm going to play next at that time.

Have you got a mix on-line at the moment tioneb, would be interested...

Cheers mate...

tioneb
14-09-2003, 07:39 PM
check the tioneb moody mix in the techno filez... diss if you dont like =))) i am for contructive critcism. you can also check my june mix on my website www.tioneb.fr.fm, this one represents more what i play out (more funky brainless shit =))

Sam_Horam
14-09-2003, 08:03 PM
Cheers...

Col
14-09-2003, 09:33 PM
hahah man i agree this mix is good, but i really wonder why you thnik that a great thing he spins 33 tracks in one hour... i know several members of this board who dan do this...

if the solid track selection is a good argument to explain the mix is good (i agree wiht you though there is a bit too much sims/theory/ingoma stuff in this mix) the fact that the guy cues fast make me laugh a bit.

yeah, but is every mix was sustained, smooth, and consistant, there wasnt one single fault, ive heard jeff mills have mixes bouncing all over the place, but i still respect him for trying to do something different. are you trying to imply that most techno dj's play the same way...no i didnt think so either.

i do know what it is with you mate, every time i read one of your posts, your moaning, and then you try dig yourself out of a hole. you seem to think your better than everyone else.

eyes without a face
14-09-2003, 09:58 PM
lay off chaps, i think everyone understood his point yes?

wikid mix by the way sam, ive heard another CD of urs that a friend had, good stuff indeed

Drago
15-09-2003, 11:10 AM
For what it's worth I have heard this mix of Sam's, and his mix before this one and agree with the review that was posted. Whether or not Sam actually laid out the tracks before he mixed them and said "That's what I'll play" or mixed them on the fly, the mix is brilliant. As a Techno DJ, I listne to mixes like this and say to myself "This is the level I want to be at". To be able to mix so smoothly and seamlessly, with such progression in the set really is worthy of such a review. Well done Sam.... :clap:

Mr Tioneb....I'll be listening to your mix too, to see whether you have the skills to match the talk. Walk the walk man, walk the walk.....I'll post up what I think in a couple of hours. :!:

Drago
15-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, as promised I will post comments on Tioneb's mix (Moody mix)...

The tracks rolled seamlessly, and the whole mix was mixed well. I didn't like a lot of the tracks but I think that was personal preference as opposed to the tracks being bad.....overall the mixing was good though. ;) Nice one

Col
15-09-2003, 02:10 PM
For what it's worth I have heard this mix of Sam's, and his mix before this one and agree with the review that was posted. Whether or not Sam actually laid out the tracks before he mixed them and said "That's what I'll play" or mixed them on the fly, the mix is brilliant. As a Techno DJ, I listne to mixes like this and say to myself "This is the level I want to be at". To be able to mix so smoothly and seamlessly, with such progression in the set really is worthy of such a review. Well done Sam.... :clap:

Mr Tioneb....I'll be listening to your mix too, to see whether you have the skills to match the talk. Walk the walk man, walk the walk.....I'll post up what I think in a couple of hours. :!:

im glad you agree. sams mix was top class.

Esox Lucius
30-09-2003, 04:40 PM
bit late, but for what it's worth...

the mix is class, I have heard a few mixes from sam now and I think he is a great dj and certainly someone who deserves a few bookings, sam also won the intergalactic funk competition to play there, although I missed it reports that I heard were good.

all in all a great cd, and i look forward to the next one ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==