PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Bass - A burned figure - tune needing help

dirty_bass
12-06-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.iterativemusic.com/~dirtybass/Dirty%20Bass%20-%20A%20burned%20figure%20(master).mp3

Part of an ep I`m working on.
I just can`t mix the damn thing right.
I`m employing a lot of compression tricks that will sound nice on a rig, but I`m so buried under this thing I have totally lost my way in the mix.

If there are any blatant fixes needed, please point em out, and any mix fix suggestions would be nice.

(ducks for cover)

lau
12-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Kool tune!!!

Im actually liking the mix of this track..... The kick is mixed hard as fuk!!! Maybe even a bit to much... I think it would be cool if those heavy klongs were be a bit more in the front....
The kick is really prominent and kind of pushing them away......

Other than that dope track!!!

Mixdown is just great... just a different sound from your normal tracks.........

:rambo:

BRADLEE
13-06-2006, 01:17 AM
I've only listened in the headphones Steve, but it all seems proper to me. Will give it another listen this evening and try to be more helpful.

Overall I really like the tune though mate. :eyes:

holotropik
13-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll get back to you shortly.

Mindful
13-06-2006, 11:01 PM
cant realy say too much about the production on the system im on at the moment, maybe at first the groove it started with sounded a little muffled and restrained to me but as the track progressed the overall mix seems to open up but ykow I would rather hear on my moniters before saying anything concreate.

Track wise, realy nice and deep groove, perfect for adding and building energy and mood to a set, kind of like a tool but not in a loopy loopy type way.
nice

holotropik
15-06-2006, 08:08 AM
moody.
let the sweeps come out more at there mid-point
and in the transform stage
tingle the spine a bit more
i feel they stay too far back all the time
let them have more dynamics.

maybe add a slight subliminal swing (either BPMdelay or reverb at an odd time-sig) to the snare?
maybe some to the tick-hat?
just to add a little bit more groove
to compliment the bottom end.

interesting how you got the comp workin :)

overall the mix would sound good on a big rig imo.
tight and minimalistic (not in a genre way - technique)
let the room do the rest of the work.

signature work bro.

BloodStar
15-06-2006, 11:01 AM
finally i am listening to this tune on the speakers. and i think mixage is ok. Kick sounds good, maybe I would also like those klong sounds which play in the begininng little more in the front, as Lau already said. Those sounds which starts to play around 1.35 are very nice, maybe they could go with little more topend. but thats my tastes. That pad sound is sweet, aswell. Fits there nicely but when it kicks in after the break around 3.47, it is quite hidden in the back and as it brings nice mood in there, i would like it to be more prominent.. These are just my feels and i can be wrong in all, you know mate.. cheers.

dirty_bass
15-06-2006, 09:58 PM
cheers folks, this is all finished now.
I added more top and brought out the compression sweeps a bit more, on the main mid range cyclic percussion.
The clonks stay muffled, as they a a strange archetype of the bassline, and to bring them out would mean adding mid range to the bass and blowing the mix.
The beeps are a little more pronounced and the pad had a little more space to breath as well.
Also geve more top end to the snare that opens up after the break.

No final versions, and I don`t post them up anymore, but thanks for your help.

The Divide
15-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Sounding phat to me, well done

stjohn
21-06-2006, 01:27 PM
now this is what i was talking about in that 'dark thuddy bassline' thread in the production forum. im always trying to get something along this line... very mulero bass (not trying to pigeonhole anything here).

any tips on what synth is good for this type of bassline.

the power is great, the tune is right up my alley
nice work

holotropik
21-06-2006, 01:40 PM
craft...

stjohn
21-06-2006, 01:47 PM
i was expecting that answer :)
but beleive me when i say that ive tried, oh id sell my soul for a bassline like that...

only messin...but maybe a healthy starting point?

dirty_bass
21-06-2006, 08:29 PM
This type of bassline, any synth will do, I like a metallic edge, so I would use an FM synth such as Sytrus or FM7.

Low notes, short decay and release, and bass chords, a blend of harmonic and dissonant chords.
Sidechained compression, some mid range Eq tweaking.

Plus the bassline I used was polyrhythmic.
I used an 18 step pattern running in a 16 step framework.

stjohn
21-06-2006, 09:18 PM
top man

Mindful
21-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Hows that for an answer

278d7e64a374de26f==