PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Roland MC-505 (£200)

michael00elder
19-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I know somebody that's flogging a Roland MC-505 for £200. Do any of you have one. What do you think of it. Is it capable of producing a realistic 303 sound or is it just a waste of money? Also, as a drum machine, is it any dood or do you think something like a Korg Electribe would be a better option?

trip_out
19-06-2006, 09:42 PM
My personal opinion is no. I think there are better emulations of a 303 in software these days. If it was me I'd look into buying software. I've got really into Ableton recently, and this coupled with some VSTs has made me far more productive. That being said I know others that work faster with grooveboxes - it depends on how you are wired.

The best boxes I've come accross are the Machine Drum, and the MPCs. I didn't think much of the Roland stuff, and I've never played with an Electribe.

Hope this helps in some way.

dan the acid man
19-06-2006, 11:12 PM
no, i'd say keep your money.

put it towards a pair of monitors if you haven't got any yet

trip_out
20-06-2006, 07:48 AM
put it towards a pair of monitors if you haven't got any yet
good call :)

paulcortex
20-06-2006, 05:29 PM
they are a waste of space and components....avoid!
sequencer is sloppy sounds are jv-esque

holotropik
21-06-2006, 11:21 AM
no...
save yo money.

holotropik
21-06-2006, 11:25 AM
but...
I dont know what 200 p buys in your neck of tha woods.
Surely you can get at least two machines
that would allow you freedom to model tha sounds
in a way that was more expressive than that
which lies within the MC-505.

or even...
some software and control surface
that also permits a wider range
of free-expression.

RDR
21-06-2006, 11:27 AM
monitors everytime.

holotropik
21-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Seriously...
I f you want to use a hardware interface to deliver your sound then get as much as you can for as little as you can. Get to know the process of delivering your own expression through several sources. You need many sources. I mean you are looking at a way to deliver music other than vinyl or CD.

So...

Will a machine do this for you in the way you want it to?
Am I right in assuming that you would like to deliver loops and samples in an arranged fashion reflective of your personality. Right now in this moment....??
If that is what you want to do then you need as many sources of sound as possible. You need to be able to create "that" sound right now thats in your head. What will allow you this possibility?? What of the many sources are you going to use in order to capture that picture in your mind...??

So many questions...
But only one answer.......your answer.

.../sorry if this is sh_ite :)

holotropik
23-06-2006, 12:14 PM
fark!!
sorry I was way wasted....

AcidTrash
08-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Save your money. Groove boxes are shite except when you need something to prop the fire exit open.

278d7e64a374de26f==