PDA

View Full Version : Bass Station too muddy

fitzoyo
20-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I recently bought a copy of novation bass station vsti as i have heard good things and that a lot respected producers and musicians use it. I have the v-station and find it very accessible for quickly finding the sounds i want. The bass station is very simple but all my sounds seem to muddy up the low end of my tracks and eqin doesn't seem to help so i end up using the v-station or z3ta. Has anyone got any advice as to how i can make the most from this synth?

loopdon
20-06-2006, 01:53 PM
dunno but: perhaps adjust the adsr settings to make the notes tighter - i can't really believe eq won't help - perhaps it's a wacky eq you are using?

rhythmtech
20-06-2006, 02:15 PM
to be honest i h8 the bassstation...

but only because i think it sounds weak. are you compressing it properly?

dan the acid man
20-06-2006, 03:31 PM
eq has got to help, what frequencies are you taking out ?

also, try adding some chorus to fatten up the sound

dirty_bass
20-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Subtractive EQ
Look it up.
It will solve most mix problems.

fitzoyo
21-06-2006, 10:07 AM
I tried cutting different frequencies but if i cut even small amounts in low end range to try and give the sound more clarity it suddenly sounds very weak but then leaving it unaffected clogs up the low end. It does sound pretty fat like that on its own but in any track ive used it on it always drags it down. By the way i usually use timeworks sl eq.

dirty_bass
21-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Never had any problem with it myself.
Sounds like you aren`t EQing and compressing properly properly

eyeswithoutaface
21-06-2006, 08:32 PM
yeah, i find it a very fat synth indeed at times, certainly no running problem with the software itself as a whole, you should just look more into EQ before dismissing it as it being a problem with the software

if ur looking for bass, dont cut the low end, cut the high's, and selective mid's, subtractive EQ really is amazingly important

dirty_bass
21-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Subtractive EQ is THE most important thin gI have ever learned.
Once I got that down, my mixes just clicked to a new level.

tonyc2002
21-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Try cutting all the low frequencies upto 80hz. Bass is usually tonally rich, and strangely if you do remove the really low frequencies it can help it to cut through the mix but it should still retain its ooomph. obviously this can vary from patch to patch. I personally find T-Racks very good for this sort of thing....

Remember there is no right or wrong way to mix a track. Its all about how you percieve it. Ime just wandering what monitors your using and is it possible if there not up to standard that they could be comprimising what you hear.

tonyc2002
21-06-2006, 11:30 PM
PS if it still sounds weak you could copy your channel with the bass on it and layer a low sinewave underneath the original patch to reinroduce the sub bass.

fitzoyo
22-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Cheers for that everyone. I'll give it another look. Does anyone know where more presets for bass station can be downloaded, especially ones geared more towards techno and hard trance?

DJZeMigL
22-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Or just copy to a new channel, add a resonnable amount of soft distortion (or not depending on taste) or valve emulation add that to the original and join both to a group channel, play with they're respective volumes till it sound right to ya.

Also u can the suppa clean the subs (if u use phat kicks) on the gruop with a very steep (or more that one plug in) High Pass till something like 50-70 hz (or even 80 depending on patch and wanted sound)... remember that the idea her is to create space for a phat bass drum ...

distortion (soft) and valve emulations tend to bring out the harmonics (or "fabricate" them) so your bass sounds louder.
As u've removed subs u'll have it nicely sit in the mix... side chain comp also helps ;) (look it up)...

Now I would cut has much bass from the distorted copy as I could get away with. Otherwise u can muddy the mix even more or even have some phasing (which bellow 150hz can b a prob for 12" release).

Z

PS - I have just passing by! Nice to see all the people stuff doing they're best at making food music and helping other do it.
My time is very pressed so I can't help as much anymore.
If u need or what to talk mail me to djzemigl@mk2zone.com (as I won't be able to visit so often at all... or check my pm). Regards to everyone!

AcidTrash
08-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Subtractive EQ
Look it up.

Why dont you get the forum boffins to write a script that will post that under your name every time someone uses the word muddy?

My cat is looking very cross at me. I think I should go and feed it.

dan the acid man
08-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Subtractive EQ
Look it up.

Why dont you get the forum boffins to write a script that will post that under your name every time someone uses the word muddy?

My cat is looking very cross at me. I think I should go and feed it.

what the hell is your porblem ?

it happens that steve speaks sense, eq isn't about adding, it's all about taking away what you don't need, any producer, in any field of music will tell you this.

AcidTrash
08-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry. I was hammered last night. He does ALWAYS say that tho.

dirty_bass
08-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry. I was hammered last night. He does ALWAYS say that tho.

I say it all the time, becaue it`s the solution you twat.
Just because you don`t understand it, that`s your problem.

Dave Elyzium
10-07-2006, 07:11 PM
AcidTwat strikes again hahah good to see your still popular around these ere parts

278d7e64a374de26f==