PDA

View Full Version : focusrite compressor style plug-in?

fitzoyo
22-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I have heard that the focusrite compressor is supposed to be excellent for use in techno but i work solely in software not hardware so are there any plug-in compressors that are comparable to focusrite or at least come close?

Ritzi Lee
22-06-2006, 06:46 PM
many plugs, but impossible to have the same effect like the real deal.
or you should just buy a real one and route it through your in / outputs.

dirty_bass
22-06-2006, 09:20 PM
there are plenty that are as good as hardware thse days.
I`m a big fan of the Sonalksis compressor.
there are pplenty others.

MARKEG
22-06-2006, 11:39 PM
yeah that sonalksis is great.. thanks for turning me onto that a few months back dirty.. i love waves too.. as with all hardware compressors, all software ones have their own unique sound.. i dunno where i'd be without hardware though.. i really recommend buying one...

loopdon
22-06-2006, 11:44 PM
other good ones software wise are voxengo marquis or otium fx compadre or for free chunkware vanilla compressor

http://www.chunkware.com/?page_id=4

A.P.
23-06-2006, 01:14 AM
there are plenty that are as good as hardware thse days.
I`m a big fan of the Sonalksis compressor.
there are pplenty others.

Really into this compressor too mate an the EQ

holotropik
23-06-2006, 11:06 AM
A compressor is a valuable tool indeed
and the choice should be driven
by character....

Ritzi Lee
24-06-2006, 08:30 AM
All software compressor nowadays have good methods to manipulate the sound like it's going through a real hardware compressor... But it does nothing more then adjusting volumes and waveform patterns in a digital way. (adjusting parameters) But I think it's a fairytale that software compressor plugins are as good as the hardware once... Especially if you want to compare it with a Focusrite, Drawner or Avalon.

dirty_bass
24-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, I`ve taken purely digital made stuff, to Mr Everything I use is analog, Lawrie Immersion, for cutting, and the man had no idea it was purely digital, which is confession enough for me.
Most people don`t have experience of analog gear these days, so don`t know what it sounds like.
If you know what you are trying to acheive, it can be done digitally.
Something I never thought I would ever say.

I`ve heard plenty of stuff on this very forum, posted by people with hardware compressors, and it sounds dry and thin, and has taken no benefit whatsoever from the kit it has been run through.

So my advice is, ignor elitism, and snobbery, make the best use of the equipment you have, rather than using a billion plugins every day, or buying all the kit in the world in an attempt to give yourself a better sound, master that which you have, everything you use, make sure you know it inside out.

Teach your ears to truly listen.

holotropik
25-06-2006, 08:13 AM
So my advice is, ignor elitism, and snobbery, make the best use of the equipment you have, rather than using a billion plugins every day, or buying all the kit in the world in an attempt to give yourself a better sound, master that which you have, everything you use, make sure you know it inside out.

Teach your ears to truly listen.

top advice man...

Mindful
25-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I will basicly use 4 compressers
the Sonalksis, Waves C1, Waves Renaissance, and Nomad BT - CP-2S
Im very happy with these four.
Would love to try the URS comp

herman
29-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Very tempted with one of these at the moment http://www.focusrite.com/productdetails.asp?id=62&iRange=1

dirty_bass
06-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow, that Voxengo Marquis compressor is a beast.

TechMouse
06-07-2006, 05:16 PM
many plugs, but impossible to have the same effect like the real deal.
or you should just buy a real one and route it through your in / outputs.
There's an interesting article in SOS this month on dynamic convolution.

Apparently they've been able to adapt the convolution process to model sounds which don't behave in a linear way, which means they can model anything.

BloodStar
07-07-2006, 09:57 AM
i am using mainly Waves renComp, sonalksis, TC Native Comp for sidechaining,,, also Neodynium is not bad at all..

loopdon
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Wow, that Voxengo Marquis compressor is a beast.

yep, it is... but i guess people like you can make a little more use of it than i for example (with your studio background etc.) apparently you can modell a heluva lot of other well known compressors with it coz it's so flexible.

dirty_bass
07-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it`s crazy.
It`s totally become my fave compressor now.

FILTERZ
07-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Well if you like focusrite stuff im sure they did a free plug in compressor, they gave it away with future music or one of the magazines last winter , dont know where you find it now though.

278d7e64a374de26f==