PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: The future of producing

Ritzi Lee
24-06-2006, 09:59 AM
CPU's are getting faster and faster.. We have more knowledge of how to emulate analog switching in plugins. Theoretically (the acid freakz would slag me down) it's possible to emulate a TB303, and modulate it completely in software (having in account things like cross modulation) to have a perfect emulation. But it would cost an enormous amount of CPU power.. But because of the fact CPU's are getting faster, wouldn't it be possible that in say 2010 the hearable difference between software and hardware will be zero to non?

Or should we go another road and concentrate on a new kind of synth? How would you see the evolution of audio software?

Would it be possible in the future to have software that can read your mind with a couple of sensors on your head reading the sounds you are thinking about? I know from a show on Discovery Science they are now experimenting with catching brainwave impulses and how it is defined in the digital domain.

There is also a new revolution going on in the ICT scene with developing software systems. Seems like people are now concentrating on Model driven architecture (MDA) and Service oriented architecture (SOA)... To explain it simple: Different kinds of communication services and engines are linked up together in one network to communicate with each other. Let's take a webserver, an email server, a couple of databases, connected to one Datawharehouse system, connected with each other in one harmony, so that different users with different application purposes can work together in a fast effective way...

I would see these kind of technologies to be applied in the music production scene. It would make the reachability between artists all over the world closer. One example: If you want to make an album with someone from the USA, India, a couple of people from Europe and Japan, you can deploy usergroups and workspaces, and all compatible with each others studios....

To get it even a step further, it would be possible when finishing a project, to release it with one click to all the official distribution channels, because the whole music industry is connected on one big SOA.

dirty_bass
24-06-2006, 02:26 PM
The mind-machine interface is what it`s all about.
For me, the frustration is translating all the stuff in my head, into sounds.
To be able to truly creat what is in your head, would be astounding.

tonyc2002
24-06-2006, 03:31 PM
yeah a brain to USB interface is just what the doctor ordered. proper futuristic that is

Miromiric
25-06-2006, 12:09 AM
i can see people complaining about music sounding less phat when played by a brain controlling device, instead with good, old midi controler&laptop setup

holotropik
25-06-2006, 03:43 AM
In the meantime
I am wondering what 64-bit CPUs will be able to do in the way of improving the emulation of analog. More bits of information etc.??

AcidTrash
08-07-2006, 01:27 AM
Hmm the future of producing. Called me an old, cynical and passed it old sod but the future of producing is yet more twenty somethings spending money they dont have on shit they dont need trying to emulate that which has been done better ages ago in the hope that by the time they get good at it it will sound fresh and new again. Meanwhile, clubs will shut down and people will retreat to their internet stations and masturbate over pictures of Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote.

Maybe not the last bit but it worked for me.

force
08-07-2006, 12:37 PM
You old, cynical and passed it old sod

fresh_an_funky_design
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
the convulution plug-ins are making serious steps to re-creating analog sound with software. The new focusrite liquid mix is suppost to accurately emulate 40 high end vintage & modern compressors and 20 eq's. all the processsing is done by the dsp unit so no strain on ure computer and you can have a total of 32 channels running at once.

fresh_an_funky_design
08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
i think the next major step might be writing tunes in 5.1,
also as technology advances new methods of making music will be discovered hopefully spawning new genres etc

dirty_bass
08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
5.1?
on a soundsystems that still run in mono?

fresh_an_funky_design
08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
yeah i know obviously sounds system will have to evolve as well

Mindful
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Maybe a lttle off the main question but 5.1 surround answer leads me to think of the future of techno production rather than just production.......So Im thinking that there is hopfully going to be progression towards some techno/techno inspired music that will be aimed at home listening rather than clucb music.
Im not saying moove away from club music becuase on a good system with a good crowd and good atmosphere, good techno is awesome, but I would love to see or hear some kind of cynamatic or more musical form of techno without the constraints of what clubs, Dancfloors ect put on us.

Mindful
09-07-2006, 12:11 AM
I still love my big fukk off club monsters tho;)

MARKEG
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
imo.. i reckon you gotta look at trends to realise that 5.1. is a fad. i'm not remotely interested in it. well, i am hehehe but i think there's more important issues to address. no offence mate!!! just my opinion.

so what is the future? think about it. the cavemen asked this questio a bazillion years ago. chopin asked this too. as did all the classic greats. kraftwerk asked this.

but you know what the real future is for me?

skill and love/passion for what we do.

it doesn't matter what the tools are.

technology is running away with us imho. i love it, but i hate it.

i think the key to good music is looking forward and understanding the technology.... but also realising how important the past is and incorporating that into what we all do.

... arrrghhhhh this music shit drives me MAAADDDDD!!!! :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==