PDA

View Full Version : Mark Williams

killarava2day
17-09-2003, 12:23 PM
Just had a listen of Primate 69...anyone heard this? Spose it pretty similar to Phont 32. Ummm, I like his structure and work, but I find the sound sorta boring...you know the tribal/latin thing? What do others think?

Altough the new Ben Sims unreleased materials on Primate sounds quite nice though :shock:

tioneb
17-09-2003, 01:02 PM
i like mark williams stuff but maybe he issues too many at same time recently ... i like the one on dark house

Jimfish
17-09-2003, 01:55 PM
i ****in love marks stuff at the mo..
i have to say i was a tad worried about his sound quality a while ago, but it is coming along loads as he gets more used to working on laptop i guess..
Through working with him quite a bit i know that the geezer is just bursting with quality ideas.
i reackon if he was producing in a full studio his tunes would be about as good as they get!

The Overfiend
17-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Primate :nono:
Mark Williams :clap:

I dare say nuttin else..

Adverse
17-09-2003, 07:56 PM
someone tell me it's a remix on the bside cause both track sound very simliar.

Jimfish
17-09-2003, 08:47 PM
dunno m8 - i havent heard the primate

king of the arena: maybe hes been using 'that' loop ;)

dfndr
17-09-2003, 08:49 PM
yo yo yo
a2 on phont 32 is the bomb... :doh:

The Overfiend
17-09-2003, 09:37 PM
yo yo yo

Silent Jay an Bob Much?

dfndr
17-09-2003, 10:19 PM
yo yo yo

Silent Jay an Bob Much?

do not compute... :roll:

Jimfish
18-09-2003, 01:43 AM
yo yo yo

Silent Jay an Bob Much?

hahaha

i see what you mean! :lol:

Sunil
18-09-2003, 01:48 AM

He hasn't done a Primate I don't think, I'd imagine this is one of the remixes on the Ben Sims remix dbl 12"

miko
18-09-2003, 04:08 AM
just listen to his latest release on ingoma and i just dont know how they got to release it...just not quality material...didnt to it for me.

Miko
Editrecordings
www.editrecordings.com

herman
18-09-2003, 12:09 PM

He hasn't done a Primate I don't think, I'd imagine this is one of the remixes on the Ben Sims remix dbl 12"

marks is the next primate num 79 i think

wenna
18-09-2003, 12:49 PM
mark williams? isn't he world snooker champ! :doh:

The Overfiend
18-09-2003, 02:35 PM
yo yo yo

Silent Jay an Bob Much?

hahaha

i see what you mean! :lol:

;) lol cool beans

Sunil
18-09-2003, 05:01 PM

marks is the next primate num 79 i think

yeah you are right, just found that out today, fair play to him.

Jimfish
19-09-2003, 02:03 AM
is that his ingoma album?

hes got some really nice stuff on that..

Kevin Gorman
19-09-2003, 07:30 AM
i like mark williams stuff but maybe he issues too many at same time recently ... i like the one on dark house

Great Vinyl!

miles
19-09-2003, 09:11 PM
[quote="killarava2day"]Just had a listen of Primate 69...anyone heard this? Spose it pretty similar to Phont 32. Ummm, I like his structure and work, but I find the sound sorta boring...you know the tribal/latin thing? What do others think?

The Tribal/Latin thing has definately run it's course.
how many more insiped bongo loops do we need to hear.

Just stand in a club all night and listen to that and you'll
be chucking yourself in front of the 1st tube on the way home ;)

Didn't Mark Williams make some quite intersting music way back when?
I suppose he needs the work :roll:

MARKEG
20-09-2003, 11:36 PM
yeah it seems to me like he's using this tribal thing all the time. i don't get it. he's obviously such a talented producer :(

The Overfiend
20-09-2003, 11:46 PM
I am latin and I swear half of the people don't know the stuff they are sampling. It's pathetic. :nono:

Sunil
20-09-2003, 11:51 PM
yeah it seems to me like he's using this tribal thing all the time. i don't get it. he's obviously such a talented producer :(

yeah it is a bit puzzling alright, Ben Sims was the man for that sound, and now there's all these other producers (Paul Mac,Williams, Broom) doing the exact same or as close as on Ingoma. It's a complete waste of their services, if they are gonna continue releasing on Sims' labels they should be given a crack at doing a Theory or a Symbolism and try something different, can't understand (Besides the financial gain) why Sims doesn't wake up and smell the ****in coffee!!

Sam_Horam
21-09-2003, 02:37 AM
I'm too pissed right now to make a reasoned post...

BUT

a lot of this thread is so hypocritical and I'll argue my point a bit later...

Cheers lads...

Back to the argument soon...

Sam_Horam
21-09-2003, 02:39 AM
BTW to my friends across the Atlantic -

"pissed" means inebriated NOT in a bad mood

;)

Adverse
21-09-2003, 06:13 AM
:) saaaaam... hope you had a good one hehehehe

herman
25-09-2003, 12:45 PM

yeah it is a bit puzzling alright, Ben Sims was the man for that sound, and now there's all these other producers (Paul Mac,Williams, Broom) doing the exact same or as close as on Ingoma. It's a complete waste of their services, if they are gonna continue releasing on Sims' labels they should be given a crack at doing a Theory or a Symbolism and try something different, can't understand (Besides the financial gain) why Sims doesn't wake up and smell the **** coffee!!

Im really not sure what you guys are driving at here i mean surely the tribal sound is a perfectly valid sound in its own right ?

Jimfish
25-09-2003, 12:57 PM
its not nearly as samey as the hard stuff IMO

Angrymann
25-09-2003, 12:59 PM
This is an old argument brought up again. I spoke my mind about the tribal thing a while back and someone from Ingoma got back to me but never really said that much. It's easy to criticise when you aren't actually producing (like myself) but I did put forward my reasons for criticising the label.

1: The tracks are all too similar sounding . The answer I got for that was that it was because it was a "tribal label" , which isn't really an explanation , just cause it's tribal doesn't mean it has to sound exactly the same.

2: The tracks are released far too often. It's only my opinion but I don't think good techno can be churned out at a rate of two or three releases a month and still keep the sound fresh or maintain a high quality.

3: I have to pay for my records , so if I am paying between 5 and 8 quid for a record , I expect it to be different from the previous release enough for me to justify the money I pay for it . I don't think you can say that about the Ingoma label.

I am not direspecting Ben Sims or any of the other producer/remixers on this label as a lot of them I would list as my favourite producers. I just feel that the label is relying on a tried and tested sound and is not going anywhere new. It's very much in danger of going the "Samuel L Sessions" way.

Jimfish
25-09-2003, 01:08 PM
i mean, all the hard techno producers just seem to stick to that one sound, and none of you say anything about that..
I cant think of any hard techno producers that ever vary thier sound - its allways the same kinda hard techno - so if that is acceptable, why isnt the tribal sound?

I know what you mean about the way a lot of tribal tunes sound the same as do a few of marks, but if you listen to his work across the board i guarantee you will find 100% more variation than say, glenn wilsons sound.

You guys have to remember a lot of the tribal guys have been at it for years and thier sounds have elvolved through many individual styles. Mark has released all kinds of stuff in his time.. breakbeat, progressive, minimal techno, downbeat etc etc. Tribal is just where he is at now - but his sound is evolving forward i promise you.

Adverse
25-09-2003, 05:05 PM
i mean, all the hard techno producers just seem to stick to that one sound, and none of you say anything about that..
I cant think of any hard techno producers that ever vary thier sound - its allways the same kinda hard techno - so if that is acceptable, why isnt the tribal sound?

i couldn't agree more..

Sam_Horam
25-09-2003, 06:50 PM
The board's working again... :lol:

Just to return to what I was saying when I was wrecked, seems like Jim and Adverse have already said what I was trying to say...

I really love a lot of the stuff in this style...it seems some people on this thread have a problem with the sound - end of story... and that's fair enough, but I think you can say the same about all styles at various times...

I'm not really into a lot of the harder stuff that a lot of you guys on this board dig... and a lot of that sounds the same to me... but only 'cos I don't really listen to it that closely and don't spend time finding the really good stuff...

And just taking Ingoma... I think it's a great label... some great records on there... sure there's been a lot released in a short time... but to suggest that they're just churning them out is wrong if you ask me... do you honestly believe it's for the money (as someone on this thread said) or because that's what they wanted to write?

miles
25-09-2003, 10:21 PM

yeah it is a bit puzzling alright, Ben Sims was the man for that sound, and now there's all these other producers (Paul Mac,Williams, Broom) doing the exact same or as close as on Ingoma. It's a complete waste of their services, if they are gonna continue releasing on Sims' labels they should be given a crack at doing a Theory or a Symbolism and try something different, can't understand (Besides the financial gain) why Sims doesn't wake up and smell the **** coffee!!

Im really not sure what you guys are driving at here i mean surely the tribal sound is a perfectly valid sound in its own right ?

Come on Herman, it aint exactly a new sound.
The New York boys have been caning it for years, you have probaly got and
sampled most of the releases along with ben sims!

The Overfiend
25-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Come on Herman, it aint exactly a new sound.
The New York boys have been caning it for years, you have probaly got and
sampled most of the releases along with ben sims![/quote]

true story miles!

I think people are realizing that sampling the latin thing is played. I grew up with half of the songs people sampled and it's funny to see Yo fellas boriqua sampled and nobody has even been to puerto rico. If things are going towards a non sample based creative platform I say amen to that because thats what techno is. expression of feelings thru music and sounds YOU created not time tested rhythms that have had people jumpin since the 40's an 50's.

Jimfish
25-09-2003, 11:54 PM
there is more to the uk tribal sound than a few latin vocals boys

The Overfiend
25-09-2003, 11:59 PM
I agree, But I am talking about the Sims sound
Not the Uk Surgeonesque Ruskin Breakbeat sound, thats king right there
Didnt mean to be misconstrued. :lol:

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:06 AM
dude, i aint no big fan of sims tunes, but far less of his work than you obviously think actually has those tribal vocals in it.

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Dude I know I just didn't feel like going into detail to every f*ck who uses the vocals. I would just like to hear a stomper from him once in a blue with no congas whatsoever. I mean a real good hard f*ck!

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:20 AM
fair do's but the flipside to that is that i allways want to hear all the harder boys do somthing with a bit more funk..

you stay in that little box over there and keep listening to your stuff , and i'll lock myself in this wee box here and listen to mine, howzat sound? :shifty:

**** it, haha, i dont even really like tribal stuff that much - but i have respect for the way it works on the turntabels and its great fun for the people that choose that kind of mixing. :)

kinda on this subject, what producer vary between... **** it, ill start a new thread 4 this one.. :lol:

sorry, bit bambooozled tonite :)

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 12:31 AM
To answer you're question Skoog, Bicknell. Bacto.

Jimfish
26-09-2003, 12:43 AM
yep yep yep.. staffan is good at this too...

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Ehrlin Rocks. In a studio!

Sunil
26-09-2003, 01:02 AM
And just taking Ingoma... I think it's a great label... some great records on there... sure there's been a lot released in a short time... but to suggest that they're just churning them out is wrong if you ask me... do you honestly believe it's for the money (as someone on this thread said) or because that's what they wanted to write?

i liked the label for a bit too, and i still listen to the new ones and know what they are about BUT I think they've made very little progress in developing the sound into something new and feel that many of the producers involved would be better trying something else; sure you can say the same thing about hard techno but not every hard techno track has an almost indentical sounding drum loop in it. Re:money, i think you slightly misunderstood me, it's easier for him to roll out Ingoma after Ingoma at the moment because it's in fashion, and that's a natural thing to do I guess, but i feel he has plumped for quantity over quality too much over the last few years when he could have got more interesting results from his artists..

Angrymann
26-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Jim , you made some good points there and I don't disagree that a lot of the hard stuff sounds very similar too. Like I said though , it's easy for me to point the finger and say "it's all getting sameish" as I am not doing any producing so what the **** do I know. But I do sort of feel it's sometimes an abuse of talent when a producer's sound becomes very similar track after track. These guys already have a bank of equipment and a vast knowledge of writing and producing tracks that guys like me would kill for , so I guess it's my own personal frustration that comes out when I listen to a record , sometimes I just think " oh come on guys , you can do better than this".

It's not jealousy or complaining for complainings sake , I think everyone that's into techno wants to see it evolving and improving all the time , to keep it exciting and I just don't think the Tribal sound is doing that. I do however agree that the tribal sound is still valid , it does sound great when mixed properly with other tracks of a different style. There should just be more variation.

miles
26-09-2003, 05:20 PM

Ruskin breakbeat , i can't recall him using breakbeats?????

The Overfiend
26-09-2003, 06:06 PM

r u kidding?

miles
26-09-2003, 09:05 PM

r u kidding?

no, let me know some tracks, obviously iv'e missed some.

miles
26-09-2003, 09:08 PM

r u kidding?

no, let me know some tracks, obviously iv'e missed some.

It also depends what your definition of a breakbeat is.
I suppose he does use sampled breaks over a 4/4 kick.

sorry my mistake ;)

Jimfish
29-09-2003, 07:30 PM
i just got that phont ep by mark today and i FU*KING LOVE IT!!

Jimfish
29-09-2003, 07:32 PM
he also sent down an ingoma one but that wasnt really my bag though...

Herman: is that ur remix on the new real sessions? tasty beats, best on the ep methinks.. but whats going on with stannys mix??

spiralx
29-09-2003, 08:47 PM
i just got that phont ep by mark today and i FU*KING LOVE IT!!
Picked it up yesterday, listening to it now and remembered there was a thread on him here and thought I'd check it out :) Definitely enjoying this record.

The Overfiend
29-09-2003, 09:51 PM

Herman: is that ur remix on the new real sessions? tasty beats, best on the ep methinks.. but whats going on with stannys mix??

Whats up with Stanny period?
What happened to kompressorkanonen remixes and the stuff on countdown 2000 hes funky as f*ck now.

Sunil
29-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Whats up with Stanny period?
What happened to kompressorkanonen remixes and the stuff on countdown 2000 hes funky as f*ck now.

"Playing with the blox" on Zenit was a brilliant album, one of the best of this year.

The Overfiend
29-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Hmmmmm i guess I was more a fan of his harder edge

Jimfish
29-09-2003, 11:38 PM
i foooking love stanny franssen, he is one of my favourite techno bods.. but i just dont quite know what he is trying to say on this one.. it sounds like acid techno with hoovers :scratch:

Jimfish
29-09-2003, 11:39 PM
but at least he is trying somthing different!

Sunil
30-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Hmmmmm i guess I was more a fan of his harder edge

Well I did tend to prefer his G-Force stuff too, but he is still worth a listen. Genetic is a good label, has toughened up a bit recently. If he's recording for the likes of Terminal M or Intec you can forget about it, most of his other stuff though is still quality techno.

herman
30-09-2003, 12:11 PM

yes mate that one is mine for my sins i havn't heard stanny's yet though , is there vinyl now then ? im with you on the phont e.p as well the mj sampling track just kills in a club

Jimfish
30-09-2003, 03:49 PM
yeah, tps fresh in - i think si recieved some at the office today..

Jimfish
01-10-2003, 07:13 PM
nah, ur not on that one :doh:

its a mark broom remix...

i think urs must be the next one herman

miles
01-10-2003, 07:25 PM

yes mate that one is mine for my sins i havn't heard stanny's yet though , is there vinyl now then ? im with you on the phont e.p as well the mj sampling track just kills in a club

Another highly original EP from the bongo brigade ;)

Sam_Horam
01-10-2003, 08:02 PM

Another highly constructive comment from miles ;)

miles
01-10-2003, 08:10 PM

Another highly constructive comment from miles ;)

What do you mean? I was being serious. It's a fine EP
A fine use of a Micheal Jackson sample :clap:

Jimfish
01-10-2003, 09:32 PM
hahaha, yeah sounded a bit sarky to me too

Sunil
02-10-2003, 01:02 AM
hahaha, yeah sounded a bit sarky to me too

Yeah it was, "Another highly original EP" gives it away :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==