PDA

View Full Version : What Monitors You Got ?

module
02-07-2006, 01:55 AM
jus wondering.. as i reckon it would make a difference to hearing music. therefore, productions..

kinda follow on from that other thread.. like a side thought when considering things...

dan the acid man
02-07-2006, 01:59 AM
monitors i've got a pair of fostex pm0.5's, speakers i've got a pair of wharfedale's

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Soundcraft Absolute 2`s.
Use to use events, and before that, those white coned grot boxes.

module
02-07-2006, 02:53 AM
i was using those for a while, but jus couldnt get my bass right with them. didnt like them compared to Absolute 1s or Tannoys. much happeier with the Truths now. they really show up a lot of bad work from older trax. i have everything in files on data discs so i can go back which is cool.. but yeah, was never happy with the 2s.

module
02-07-2006, 02:54 AM
at the same time, cheers to phil for letting me use them for about 2 years :)

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 02:55 AM
They are very much in the old skool style of monitor in temrs of sound.

but like any monitor, it`s a case of knowing them really really well.

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 02:56 AM
behringer truths :neutral:

module
02-07-2006, 02:59 AM
yep.. i was witing for that lol

and they were actually a wedding gift from a few pals who knew the 2s had to go back when i moved out.

but yeah.. Truths. i know your gonna disagree, but i find them way better. jus me though.. and i think for the money, its a helluva lot of monitor.

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Well, really, to me, nearfield monitors, as long as they are`nt total shite, are really much of a muchness.
For the most part you won`t have a clue how they work until about 3 or 4 months down the line when your ears are used to them, and you know how they work.
so really any half decent nearfields will do.

The truths are ok, but I just don`t trust any behringer audio gear. their midi stuff is ok, but their audio never seems right.

Maybe it`s a psychological snobby thing?

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 03:06 AM
anyway, what the **** are we doing in at this time on a saturday night?
My missus wimped out, so that`s my excuse.

Stting here drinking beer, contemplating whether to bang on a chop sockey movie.

module
02-07-2006, 03:10 AM
lol @ snobby thing

yeah, been listenign to a lot old cds to try & get the ear for them.. sooo different from 2s. and i aint been makin much at all, mostly listening. going thru a lot of my old trax as well, even from the very first hardware days, sound totally different.. some of them arent as bad as i expected.. given what i was using.

as for the Behringer thing.. yeah its well cheap. and a lot of it sounds cheap. ive used the dj mixers, desks, outboard, guitar effects.. and some of them are lacking. the mixers arent very nice at all, but the truths seem warmer than any Behringer stuff ive used.. if that makes sense ? but, always been a fan of Behringer.. yeah, its cheap as chips but its ethere for entry level.. and if your starting out its no bad really.. i'd would have loveed a load of avalon or tlaudio stuff, but i jus couldnt afford it.. but the Behringer stuff was there, so i could get it & do the shows.. and it worked fine :)

in saying that, it was all for live sets. i was never under the impression Behringer £75 exciters could make or break a track for realease.

module
02-07-2006, 03:11 AM
i been working til 11.. then some Guinness, a cigar & some other 'smokes'

Penn & Teller - Bulls**t for me very soon :)

that clubbing thing ? nah... not tonight ;)

machina
02-07-2006, 08:01 AM
pmc tb2's and tannoy reveals

machina

loopdon
02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Tapco S8s

Bas Mooy
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Genelec 8040

Jay Pace
02-07-2006, 01:33 PM
mackie 824s (gorgeous)

alesis mk2s (slightly broken)

Ancient amp & speakers my dad's had since the 80s (fun)

RDR
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Right then... how about this..

My mate went and spent 350 squids on the smallest pair of genelecs i have EVER seen.

She says she really likes them, but i have my doubts... this is them... TBH i told her to take em back... but what do you lot think...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/af8e6e2fa112be8ed5071d2cfee77805.jpg

I must stress that these are tiny i mean REALLY tiny. 22.6cm high.

the main problem i have with them.. (bear in mind i havnt heard them) is they have 4" cones..

She swears the guy in soundcontrol WASNT trying to sell them to her, but i know how these people operate and i bet he was buttering her up... she writes detroit techno and isnt doing to bad for herself.

They use a bass boost function to get over the problems with having a 4inch cone, but as with most things :lol: i reckon its better to have a 6.5incher :lol:

What do you folks think? She has 6days to take em back.. personally i think she should..

RDR
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Here are the specs..
SPL

Short term RMS @ 1 m 95 dB SPL
Peak per pair with music material 105 dB SPL @ 1m
Drivers

Bass 105 mm (4")
Midrange - Treble 19 mm (3/4") metal dome
Crossover frequencies 3 kHz
Free field frequency response 66 - 20 kHz (± 2.5 dB)
Amplifier power /ch

Bass 20 W
Midrange/Treble 20 W
Speaker dimensions (H x W x D)

mm 226 x 151 x 142 mm (Height with Iso-Pod™ 242 mm)
inches 8 7/8 x 6 x 5 5/8" (Height with Iso-Pod™ 9 1/2")

RDR
02-07-2006, 05:13 PM
nothing below 66hz???

for dance music... oh dear.. IMO.

stjohn
02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
i was using my mates Truths when we were doing some work together for college a while back. and tbh i couldnt use them... id mix a track down and then when i would put it on my mates 5.1 tannoy system, or my alesis mk2's then the mix would be all over the place

module: do ever get that the truths add beef to a sound, a kinda false power? it might be just a setting on my mates coz another lad i know who releases alot of breakbeat uses them.

dan the acid man
02-07-2006, 07:58 PM
@dodgedy, my fostex pm05's are tiny, but they're good enough for me, they do go down to 50Hz though.

as for the genelics, they've had good reviews, but i'd want something below 66Hz.

conflict
02-07-2006, 09:22 PM
spirit absolute zero's

i like

dirty_bass
02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Right then... how about this..

My mate went and spent 350 squids on the smallest pair of genelecs i have EVER seen.

She says she really likes them, but i have my doubts... this is them... TBH i told her to take em back... but what do you lot think...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/af8e6e2fa112be8ed5071d2cfee77805.jpg

I must stress that these are tiny i mean REALLY tiny. 22.6cm high.

the main problem i have with them.. (bear in mind i havnt heard them) is they have 4" cones..

She swears the guy in soundcontrol WASNT trying to sell them to her, but i know how these people operate and i bet he was buttering her up... she writes detroit techno and isnt doing to bad for herself.

They use a bass boost function to get over the problems with having a 4inch cone, but as with most things :lol: i reckon its better to have a 6.5incher :lol:

What do you folks think? She has 6days to take em back.. personally i think she should..

I`ve found all the new shape genelecs exceedingly uncomfortable to use and listen to for any length of time in all but the largest of rooms.

Dustin Zahn
02-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Alesis MK2 powered monitors. Would like a pair of the mackies though.

fatcollective
02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
i got Mackie HR624's, wikid little monitors with great sound !!!

Little_Fella!
02-07-2006, 11:31 PM
I borrowed Paul Cortex' Absolute 2's for a good while, when I first started learning how to produce.. cheers Paul! ;)

Then he had to take them back and I started crying :crybaby:

So I was like **** the expense, I don't want to have to learn a different type of monitor, I've only just got to grips with these ones! - and they are lovely... :cheese:

Thought I was gonna have to spend in excess of £150 second hand but Steve bid on ebay 4me and got me a pair, which were so near new that even the bass response hadn't been worn in yet, for £62 !!!

Result...

xfive
03-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Yorkville YSM1P + YSS1 Sub

BloodStar
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Alesis M1 Active MKII.

aggressor
03-07-2006, 11:39 AM
alesis monitor 1 (passive)

with samson servo 170

lau
03-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Phonic P12a way to big for my small room...

TechMouse
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
With the Genelecs, I think they tend to assume you're getting the subwoofer too.

Si the Sigh
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Technics, dunno the model, but they cost me £10 for the pair at a car boot sale and they kick like fu*k.

Mindful
04-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Yamaha MSP5s, they are nice and clear, but can hurt the ears after long periods of listening at loud a level I find.
I love em tho.

RDR
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
With the Genelecs, I think they tend to assume you're getting the subwoofer too.

RDR
04-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh shit...

i meant to say.. i agree.

fresh_an_funky_design
04-07-2006, 04:46 PM
[quote="dirty_bass"]Well, really, to me, nearfield monitors, as long as they are`nt total shite, are really much of a muchness.
For the most part you won`t have a clue how they work until about 3 or 4 months down the line when your ears are used to them, and you know how they work.
so really any half decent nearfields will do.

The truths are ok, but I just don`t trust any behringer audio gear. their midi stuff is ok, but their audio never seems right.

Maybe it`s a psychological snobby thing?[/quote

i've got a set of the truth's, absolute rubbish, not a clear sound in the low mid area and they severly boost the bass, and add a bit too much colour to the high's very dfifficult to get a mix down on
just bought a set of the adam P11a's, suppost to be very good. they haven't arrived yet, hopefully sometime next week.

behirnger stuff is crap though, i got a behrigner compressor and its a compelete waste of time.

module
05-07-2006, 01:30 AM
behirnger stuff is crap though, i got a behrigner compressor and its a compelete waste of time.

fair do's..

its alright when your skint & makin no money & cant afford anything else.. imo.

btw, did u do anything with the dip switches on the back.. i know your view on Behringer so ya dont need to go off, jus answer ;)

A.P.
05-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Technics, dunno the model, but they cost me £10 for the pair at a car boot sale and they kick like fu*k.

Haha, Si ya nutta!
F**kin bargain mate :eyes:

fresh_an_funky_design
05-07-2006, 03:41 AM
i'll try not to go off... bad habit of mine!
u can fiddle around with the eq settings on the back which do help to a certain extent but the problem is not just with the bass its the whole frequency range.. they push the sound out a lot so when listen on other set ups certain parts of the track sound very weak. and as i said earlier the low mid area has very little clarity.

from my own experience with them i wouldnt recommend the for producing, although they are great for dj'n on.

module
05-07-2006, 02:07 PM
well, they would never be my first choice givewn th eoption & takin away the money side.. but they'll have to do me til i get some $$$ for summat better..

either way, jus thought it might help to illustrate the varied monitors we all use & how summat may sound good on one set, doesnt always cut it on another :)

davethedrummer
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
spirit absolute zero's

i like

rubbish.....sorry
throw them in the bin
they'll make aa better noise that way

davethedrummer
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
ev sentry 100a
but i think i'm gonna change soon
adams or mackies , can't decide yet

MARKEG
09-07-2006, 10:57 AM
chrissi and i got the mackie hr824's :)

used to have the alesis monitor 1's for like 7 years. really loved them but after going to the mackie, i really notice the mid problem and no def in the low and hi.

i really wouldn't change these mackies at the mo. beautiful defined sound... you have switches on the back to make them suit your room and the difference is INCREDIBLE!!!!

heard some good krk's recently, but they felt more warehousey. would recommend these mackies to everyone!!! they've really helped my djing too,cause when you practice on them and the basses switch right, you're almost guarenteed it's going to work on any club sound system. never got that with my alesis

:eh:

MARKEG
09-07-2006, 11:02 AM
http://www.mackie.com/products/hr824/

:ninja:

Miromiric
09-07-2006, 11:45 AM
yeah, i am thinking about that mackie for a long time now. am using alesis ones at the mo

278d7e64a374de26f==