PDA

View Full Version : best way to fix levels??? help =P

tracatak
04-07-2006, 01:18 AM
after my mix in (first two 32's) (first two are no bass jsut high pitched /filterd) when the bass comes in on the 3rd-32 its way too loud n sends my levels into the red but doesnt sound good and distorted when i bring the levels down outta teh red to match it with the rest of the track...how do i make it all basically the same vol but still have it distorted as i want at certain pionts n clean n loud at other points..is this done by mastering it at the end when i feel the song is completed or do i sorta have to keep and eye on it the whole time (that is what i think) ..please rescue me n my track...thanks

rhythmtech
04-07-2006, 01:23 AM
you need to compress the bass. this will bring out the frequencies and give it a much fuller sound.

tracatak
06-07-2006, 01:07 AM
ok thanks i will try that...

tracatak
06-07-2006, 01:13 AM
so i am puttin my compressor deEsser (TC WORKS) on my kick and then what place the ratio and or threshold to waht ever quiets to the kick and then raise the levels (gain i think) to comensate?

rhythmtech
06-07-2006, 03:41 AM
no. place the compressor on the bass. turn the "key input" on. then place the sidechainer on the kick and hit the little green button on it so it goes red. then go back to the compressor on the bass and find a preset closest to the sound you require then fiddle with it till you get it perfect.

i could go into bass compression here but my fingers are tired and presets are a good way to learn.

dirty_bass
06-07-2006, 04:08 AM
As a rule of thumb, you need to eq both before and after compression on bass to get a really good sound.
Sidechaining is probably what you want to be using here.
Or a gate.

tracatak
11-07-2006, 12:37 AM
thanks

MARKEG
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
compression is a real artform and totally makes your sound.

recently i've had some lovely basslines poke through with a limiter on the bass itself then sidechain with the kick.

the possiblities are endless and it really does depend on what you want to do with the track. there was an EXCELLENT article posted here about the mix and getting stuff to sit recently. i think mike teknoist wrote it - i think it was called 'thinking out of the box' or something. essential reading. :)

TechnoNRGKid
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
^ searchin....

The Teknoist
21-07-2006, 10:31 AM
il post it up when i get back home.. in belge atm

Miikezilla

278d7e64a374de26f==