PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Englands next captain then?

Will
07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I like the fact Terry sang his heart out during the national anthem like Adams used to, though I don't agree with the words so repect players who refuse to (pretend) to sing it. But then Terry can marshall the defence and Gerrard is close to everyone playing in central midfield, so that'd maybe be an advantage and it might help get the best out of him (and he's our best player, don't think it's an issue with Terry).

It's a tough one really, I don't think there's any other real candidates, I certainly wouldn't want Neville to be captain. I suppose you could argue Owen should be next in line, but I don't think even he thinks he should be captain, it was just Sven pandering to the big names.

I suppose Owen Hargreaves would maybe be the other leading candidate, though probably some way behind the main two.

djfase
07-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Without doubt terry.

Hes a leader, hes a talker and he sets an example on the pitch. He will fight for everything to help his team win and you cannot ask for more than that. He has everything a captain needs.

Plus hes a great footballer to go with it

Will
07-07-2006, 12:33 AM
He's also a cry baby though!

dan the acid man
07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
yeah, john terry for me too.

french_og
07-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Think it is only really between Terry or Gerrard. I have always prefered a Centre Back to be captain. To be fair whether Terry is captain or not i think he still plays like he is and still does the same organising and comanding.

The other thing if Gerrard was given the captainsy maybe he could take his game to the level for England which he consistantly shows for Liverpool.

Both are good choices but think Terry will probably get it.

Traxx
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I read a interesting article in the echo the other day were people were saying they'd rather terry got it then gerrard coz they dont want the burden resting on his shoulders of being the captain of another under performing england manager & side resting on his shoulders with the obvious bombardment there will be from the media. Id never thought of this & id tend to agree (i think)

lukekendall
07-07-2006, 10:10 AM
I read a interesting article in the echo the other day were people were saying they'd rather terry got it then gerrard coz they dont want the burden resting on his shoulders of being the captain of another under performing england manager & side resting on his shoulders with the obvious bombardment there will be from the media. Id never thought of this & id tend to agree (i think)

yeah got a point there

i think ether way terry or gerrard would make a good captain i would not be bothered which one but if i had to make a decision it would be terry

gary_human
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
yeah i think it should be terry, leave gerrard doing what he does best - being england best player.

gary_human
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM

yeah i agree with that . . .

Will
07-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I think giving it to Gerrard would probably have a greater positive effect on the team though, so give it to him.

nick_anarchy
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
terry all day

Esox Lucius
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
gary neville

Numeric
07-07-2006, 01:08 PM
gary neville

yeah Gaz is the main man...

DJ RE:HAB
07-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Yer i read the same thing about Gerrard in the echo and i agree.

The captaincy comes with too much baggage from the media..

Id let Terry have it..

Keep Gerrards best for us

djfase
07-07-2006, 08:01 PM
yeah i think it should be terry, leave gerrard doing what he does best - being england best player.

I think you got summin wrong with yer eyes if you think he performs as englands best player.

When and if maclaren feks off lampard and puts a holding midfielder next to gerrard then we might see consistent decent performances from him.

phantomdj
07-07-2006, 09:44 PM

I think you got summin wrong with yer eyes if you think he performs as englands best player.

When and if maclaren feks off lampard and puts a holding midfielder next to gerrard then we might see consistent decent performances from him.

agreed

278d7e64a374de26f==