PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever taken a long break from making techno

AcidTrash
08-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Feeling like I won't make a tune for a long time now. Does it come back to you if you lay off it for a while?

loopdon
08-07-2006, 01:50 AM
yep

MARKEG
08-07-2006, 06:29 AM
yep x 2!

orac
08-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I didn't make a tune for nearly 4 months, because I was abroad and now after reinstalling system I'm too lazy to install sequencer and all plugins (lot of work) especially in this weather, but I REALLY want to make a tune :) So...no problem, you will get back to it for sure :)

rhythmtech
08-07-2006, 11:13 AM
i took 2 years off.

when my son was born i just didnt have the time any more. i was workin 10/15 hours OVERTIME a week. which meant that the little free time i had was spent with the young lad.

i came back to it in the end. as long as you stay in touch with the music and scene it isnt too hard to do.

dirty_bass
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
I used to get burned out, but basically, not any more.
Making the same type of music all the time is unhealthy, I make all sorts all the time now, and it all influences each other in a way thaqt keeps me continuously inspired.

force
08-07-2006, 12:34 PM
A lot fo the time, a break is just what the doctor ordered.

You generally come back to it fresher

anode
08-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes x too long;)

massplanck
08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Its good to take a step back. I took this year off. Moved house to focus on other stuff (more important than techno) for a while. But im back into the swing of things again. ;)

MARKEG
09-07-2006, 12:20 PM
haaahahaaa .. this should turn into the 'why you should never think you can make a living out of production' thread hahaha LOL :lol:

Jay Pace
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Whenever dj work picks up I drop production altogether, usually about 4-6 months each year over the summer.

Have little time, and have to use it where it makes a difference.

luisg99
31-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I've been chillin for the last 3 months..just getting samples and software while i build my new pc and studio :D

holotropik
31-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Not yet...
I find its seasonal so I tend to digress.
The longest time from jammin/writing was maybe 2 months
when I moved up the coast last year.

This last year has been a year away from giggin for me. By choice.
Thats been my longest break from doing gigs (running events and playin).
Now I am fishin fo gigs again.

thetonewrecka
09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I think for the most part..people who make music do it out of a physiological need to create and explore. If you shut the machines off for awhile (whether by choice, or victim of circumstance), you will find other outlets for getting those processes and needs met, or start to feel stir crazy.
Once you start exploring the journey of making music, it is an ongoing thing. Even if you are not sitting with gear, your brain is still examining and listening and learning and questioning. When you listen to music now, you probably don't just go "I like that" and enjoy the song. You start to think "what is making that sound, how'd that part get created like that? Why'd that change come in there? Or you even start freeform jamming in your head along with it, or playing some pencil drumsticks at your desk or on the steering wheel. I guess I find similarities in that having been skateboarding now for 25+ years, I don't look at a city the same way a average joe walking down the street does. Everything suddenly has possibilities for physical interaction. If I'm without my board and I see something that would be a challenge to ride, my brain locks on it and starts playing out scenarios for what could be done.
At the end of this rambling, I guess my basic response would be "No", haven't had a break since I got hooked on the machine funk, it's just more of a balancing act with my family these days.

MARKEG
10-08-2006, 02:58 AM
well yeah paul, that's a very strong point. you might have been out of the studio for whatever reason but you just never stop analyzing and thinking and wishing you had more time ot be sitting and creating. if i look at the reasons why i haven't been into the studio i can always boil it down to the fact i HAD to do something and wish to god i had more time. producing music is definitely not something you can easily flick on and off like a switch hehe :)

holotropik
10-08-2006, 09:01 AM
I think for the most part..people who make music do it out of a physiological need to create and explore. If you shut the machines off for awhile (whether by choice, or victim of circumstance), you will find other outlets for getting those processes and needs met, or start to feel stir crazy.
Once you start exploring the journey of making music, it is an ongoing thing. Even if you are not sitting with gear, your brain is still examining and listening and learning and questioning. When you listen to music now, you probably don't just go "I like that" and enjoy the song. You start to think "what is making that sound, how'd that part get created like that? Why'd that change come in there? Or you even start freeform jamming in your head along with it, or playing some pencil drumsticks at your desk or on the steering wheel. I guess I find similarities in that having been skateboarding now for 25+ years, I don't look at a city the same way a average joe walking down the street does. Everything suddenly has possibilities for physical interaction. If I'm without my board and I see something that would be a challenge to ride, my brain locks on it and starts playing out scenarios for what could be done.
At the end of this rambling, I guess my basic response would be "No", haven't had a break since I got hooked on the machine funk, it's just more of a balancing act with my family these days.

yep, spot-on..

StoQ
11-08-2006, 12:36 AM
i've used to have shorter and longer breaks, but i cant stop makin tracks. its like i have to do music to feel what all of us feel when finishing tracks (though???)

danielmarshall
18-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much better I play guitar the LESS I play it... That's probably because I'm getting inspired through dance music rather than folk, rock, metal or pop (even my own!) so I've got fresh ideas when I haul out the old axe. Usually my coordination is shot to shit though!

278d7e64a374de26f==