10-07-2006, 06:44 PM
:lol:

dirty_bass
10-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Very jaded.

but very funny.

The Overfiend
10-07-2006, 09:08 PM
That's hysterical and sad but true for some people.

davethedrummer
10-07-2006, 09:20 PM

like the cd under the table trick

nice

rhythmtech
10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
That's hysterical and sad but true for some people.

well one option has to be true for everyone :lol:

i think we've all experienced the "where they all go"

Dustin Zahn
11-07-2006, 01:32 AM
they forgot the "dj your tracks in ableton" approach.

rhythmtech
11-07-2006, 01:34 AM

you been lookin over my shoulder? :paranoid:

koma
11-07-2006, 01:51 AM
"I reckon there’s something inherently geeky about electronic music when it’s played live. Most of these bands are like Mr ****ing Techno Geek, total gadget freaks and that ain’t me at all. We ain’t geeks, we’re just up for it Essex boys."

Liam Howlett @ DJ Magazine

MARKEG
11-07-2006, 03:29 AM
haha i love it. was funny the other day - was playing somewhere with a pretty well known live pa to about 5000 ppl (they went on after me) and just on my last record a bloke came up and said 'oh just need to sort a few things out' so i gave him my headphones, in went a cd to the cd's. i didn't quite understand what was going on so i finished, the crowd cheered (well, i hope they did haha) the pa was anounced and then the bloke reached across, pressed play on the cd player and turned the fader up. still didn't register what he was doing. so 10 minutes later after saying thanks to the sound crew i returned to the decks and packed up. i thought - shit, i best take that cd out i was playing. pressed eject and the whole room went silent!!! hahaha

imagine the chaos.

it was hilarious watching the pa pretend to be looking for a loose wire whilst the bloke tried frantically to fast forward the cd to the right spot hahahaha :lol:

bayley
11-07-2006, 03:51 AM
haha no way!!! ****in ell man!!! thats funny as!!! how embarrasing for them!! and also what a crock.. surely that would be so boring to blag performances like that!!! they must have shat their cacks!!! haha

Ms.Rhythm
11-07-2006, 03:52 AM
hahahaha bet the loved you for that...

rhythmtech
11-07-2006, 04:09 AM
name and shame mark.. they shouldnt be gettin away with chargin for that

The Overfiend
11-07-2006, 04:18 AM

hahahahahaha
I've seen that crap.
I think it's cheating quite frankly.

rhythmtech
11-07-2006, 04:32 AM

hahahahahaha
I've seen that crap.

i dunno.. i do that. havent gotten a live set ready that i consider good enough but i still wanna play my own trax. rather wait and get a good live set then a half arsed one.

rhythmtech
11-07-2006, 04:32 AM
but i dont claim its live...

kai
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
haha i love it. was funny the other day - was playing somewhere with a pretty well known live pa to about 5000 ppl (they went on after me) and just on my last record a bloke came up and said 'oh just need to sort a few things out' so i gave him my headphones, in went a cd to the cd's. i didn't quite understand what was going on so i finished, the crowd cheered (well, i hope they did haha) the pa was anounced and then the bloke reached across, pressed play on the cd player and turned the fader up. still didn't register what he was doing. so 10 minutes later after saying thanks to the sound crew i returned to the decks and packed up. i thought - shit, i best take that cd out i was playing. pressed eject and the whole room went silent!!! hahaha

imagine the chaos.

it was hilarious watching the pa pretend to be looking for a loose wire whilst the bloke tried frantically to fast forward the cd to the right spot hahahaha :lol:

No Way!! Thats taking the piss that is!

Si the Sigh
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
hee hee! I bet you any money it was someone who sounds a bit like J80... :lol:

Don't want to say too much, but I know... :cheese:

Si the Sigh
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
And yes, I thought this cunt was taking the piss with what they charge for a "live" set as well. Joker...

dirty_bass
11-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Aha, cheers for the clue Si. It all makes sense now.
Well, I`ve also seen an act who are kinda like, experimentation facility number four, also do this.

As for DJing your own tracks in ableton as cheating?
Only if you declare it as a live PA. Otherwise it`s just a DJ mix.

Miromiric
11-07-2006, 11:06 AM

hahahahahaha
I've seen that crap.

i do that to.

Jay Pace
11-07-2006, 11:38 AM

Blame promoters for that.
Just a bit of salesmen's puff, wouldn't blame the artists entirely.
Not the best "live" set maybe, but are you going to sell your headliners short when promoting a night?

Dustin Zahn
11-07-2006, 11:38 AM

hahahahahaha
I've seen that crap.

I don't know if it's cheating...but lazy maybe. The only difference between DJing tracks in ableton and DJing midi patterns or audio loops in ableton is pushing a few more buttons. Quite frankly, for the complexity of the music I do there is some stuff that is completely torn apart and there is some stuff that has to be prepared beforehand because it would be impossible for one person to do alone.

I will say that I always appreciate a live pa a lot more when they put some effort into it. Live PAs seem to be a lot more popular with minimal guys these days and some of the minimal acts we've had come through with their laptops are real boring. You're lucky if they can be bothered to bring a UC-33 along to use besides the mouse.

dirty_bass
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't know if it's cheating...but lazy maybe. The only difference between DJing tracks in ableton and DJing midi patterns or audio loops in ableton is pushing a few more buttons.

Cmon it`s a little more different than just a few buttons.
I run 12 tracks of audio, plus VST instruments and effects, and it`s a total head**** to keep my head in place for.
I`d love to just casually mix 2 or 3 tracks of full tunes, but it`s a little dishonest to call that a PA.

Although I do bang some fully mixed tunes into my pa to give my head a rest. There`s nowt wrong with a little help now and again.

Miromiric
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM

hahahahahaha
I've seen that crap.

i do that to.

but only with other people`s tracks ;)

what is live anyway? there is no live, except for jazz. playing an audio track or a midi triggered sequence is the same.
actually i ve seen some DnB guy who really made shit live, recorded his voiuce on the fly, sampled it to make a bass loop, etc. really cool, but it sounds kinda shitty, if you are not watching what he is doing.

dirty_bass
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
That would be Exile.

Miromiric
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
yeah tim exile he is. there is a video of his jam somewhere on native instruments webpage.

Dustin Zahn
11-07-2006, 11:51 AM
It's like Ian says...if you don't make it live, how do you really play it live? I'm like you dirty, I have multiple channels and 2 reaktors going and the whole shit but the crowd never really notices any of that at all. I used to get a little more involved but all it really does is please me. So I focused my attention on doing things that would really get the crowd going on the fly rather than being technical.

and exile rules.

Jay Pace
11-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Tim built everything he plays on - the software and the hardware.
But even then a lot of what he's doing is just playing his own tracks and effecting them with bespoke effects.

Si the Sigh
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Well, I`ve also seen an act who are kinda like, experimentation facility number four, also do this.

Yea man, both those "live acts" take the piss completely IMO. When questioned about the playing of a CD to a crowd, said J80 replied "I can't play live all the time". WTF? When I said I could play a CD to 1000 people, jumping around behind equipment wearing headphones with no other purpose than to keep my ears warm and charge half the price he was, he looked very hacked off and walked off. Lame! :lol:

rhythmtech
11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know if it's cheating...but lazy maybe. The only difference between DJing tracks in ableton and DJing midi patterns or audio loops in ableton is pushing a few more buttons.

but thats the only differance betwwen an ableton dj set and a full live set aswell!

unless we go into the realms of orbital, nobody really plays anything live anyway. theres no differance between using vsts or using hardware except for the viuals aspect (which shouldnt matter anyway). vsts still have to be controlled just like a hardware synth does. a virtual mixer still has the same controls as a hardware one.

im using a bcf & bcr 2000 to control ableton these days and i know, from trying to get my live set sorted, that im using nearly every parameter available and im actually thinking about having to use encoder grouping just to get everything i want.

which is why its taking me sooo bloody long. in the mean time im quite happy djing with ableton and throwing in my own full tracks (and loops from them) on the fly..

it is afterall the end product that really counts.

wenna
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
lets just hope that the 'live' radio show doesn't start *ahem* skipping eh marky? :razz:

kai
11-07-2006, 03:22 PM

Yea man, both those "live acts" take the piss completely IMO. When questioned about the playing of a CD to a crowd, said J80 replied "I can't play live all the time". WTF? When I said I could play a CD to 1000 people, jumping around behind equipment wearing headphones with no other purpose than to keep my ears warm and charge half the price he was, he looked very hacked off and walked off. Lame! :lol:

:cheese: Get in there Si - you tell 'em!

The Overfiend
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I chop sections of the tracks
Not just loops
But rhythm sections
Kick sections
Synths
Hats and such
Reconfigure and reconstruct them on the fly.
So what would sound similar to a pre recorded track
Would be the amalgamation of 3 or 4 tracks in fact.
Plus Vst's and Efx.

The Overfiend
11-07-2006, 04:51 PM
What I'm really trying to get down is my fire eating show to really impress the crowd
Or even stapling my balls to my leg during a punish track.
That would really get the crowd goin.

Dustin Zahn
11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
What I'm really trying to get down is my fire eating show to really impress the crowd

so you want to hang out with steveo and johnny knoxville? :):)

gary_human
11-07-2006, 07:39 PM

sounds like you should be getting gigs at the torture garden!!

gary_human
11-07-2006, 07:41 PM
i wonder what midi controller hes using to make the music jump whenever he bumps the table . . .

The Overfiend
11-07-2006, 09:59 PM

so you want to hang out with steveo and johnny knoxville? :):)

Johnny Knoxville
He's more a list than Steve-O
Plus Steve O is more prone to fling poo like a monkey.

RDR
11-07-2006, 11:17 PM
There's nowt wrong with having a CD on standby like if it all goes tits up, thats just good practice, but the DAT approac h makes me ****ing sick.

RDR
11-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I chop sections of the tracks
Not just loops
But rhythm sections
Kick sections
Synths
Hats and such
Reconfigure and reconstruct them on the fly.
So what would sound similar to a pre recorded track
Would be the amalgamation of 3 or 4 tracks in fact.
Plus Vst's and Efx.

As MR punch would say..

Thats the way to do it!

There's so much to be done in a live set.. the sky really is the limit... its a shame some ****ing losers put no effort in at all.

Best ive seen

Neil Landstruum and his 909 typing method.. :lol:
Surgeon (Fill the screen with loops and play em all - and get shirty when you as him what he's doing.. closing laptop lid etc... dear dear...)

Worst ive seen

Oh man, i cant name names.... that'd be wrong, but they know who they are...

davethedrummer
12-07-2006, 12:12 AM
it's really one big secret isn't it?

that electronic music is made by machines and not people

had me fooled for years

all i have to do now is get a midi retrofit for the kettle

and my studio will officially be the first in the world to make the tea.

Little_Fella!
12-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Gah.... I was really upset when I found this out about experimentation facility number four..

Wax Mag had a promo CD with their stuff on back in the day, and I thought it was great...

Cheatin' ****ards was what I said :( most dischuffed!

If I had been there, and if it wasn't 4 sparing a thought for all the poor punters out there, I would have been tempted to press the stop button DELIBERATELY!! :mad:

RDR
12-07-2006, 02:01 AM

had me fooled for years

Couldnt you get the toaster to cross modulate it?

BTW mines milk n 2 please chief...

RDR
12-07-2006, 02:02 AM

had me fooled for years

Errr.

You could call it the Kenton Magdafit.

davethedrummer
12-07-2006, 10:57 AM

had me fooled for years

possibly..
you could wire the "brown" setting of the toaster to the kettle and control the boil duration with it
and if i set the washing machine on a slow cycle i could use that as an lfo to modulate the toaster..........and the worlds first cross patchable modular kitchen was born :)

Si the Sigh
12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

dan the acid man
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
im staying in the old skool, im just bashing pots and pans together with the odd wooden spoon thrown in

anode
12-07-2006, 02:40 PM
so you like a bit of the ol Jungle Tekno mate? :lol:

koma
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzVhwM8OYqE

SPL, Limewax, Panacea, Evol Intent i Dylan having fun with their laptops :cheese:

RDR
12-07-2006, 05:28 PM

had me fooled for years

possibly..
you could wire the "brown" setting of the toaster to the kettle and control the boil duration with it
and if i set the washing machine on a slow cycle i could use that as an lfo to modulate the toaster..........and the worlds first cross patchable modular kitchen was born :)

Nah man, that washer has too much wow and flutter. You'll need a digital source such as the microwave...

But then again, i kinda like that old skool variance of cycles. Oh, and if you want to play in the kitchen dave im gonna have to put the corks back on the knives and sort out all the bleach into somewhere you cant reach.

Dont want to have to call the ambulance again now do we?

;)

audioinjection
13-07-2006, 03:43 PM
i like mixing on 2 turntables still

that wrong of me?

RDR
13-07-2006, 04:29 PM
i like mixing on 2 turntables still

that wrong of me?

Nowt wrong with two 'tables and a mixer.

http://www.awpbutcherblock.com/images/Photo%20Album/Kids%20workbench%20table%20screen%20size.JPG
http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/stories/the_rise_of_consumerism/02.ST.03/img/IM.0389_es.jpg
http://www.awpbutcherblock.com/images/Photo%20Album/Kids%20workbench%20table%20screen%20size.JPG

tocsin
19-07-2006, 07:35 PM
"Winamp. It really whips the llama's ass!"

massplanck
19-07-2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.livepa.org ;)

tocsin
20-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Funny cartoon, btw. I don't understand the CD deck or Winamp thing at all. Seriously, why bother? What's the point? For the "artist" it would be incredibly boring and, if you're hauling out all this gear to just bounce around in front of, you open yourself up to risks of damage, the exhaustion of carrying it, taking apart the studio, etc. for nothing but aesthetics? It's lip syncing. Definitely had the "where did everyone go" thing happen to myself. But, when the last project I was involved with actually worked closely enough to have all 3 people to commit to a show, we incorporated live visuals with it which seemed to pretty much kill that problem. Even for those who weren't feeling our music, they'd hang around just to watch the video. At that point in time, it was always a different type of kludged setup. Sometimes we'd just mixdown the tracks we wanted to play with the lead synth being muted. Then we'd trade off where one person would **** around mixing those tracks in Traktor (very much like a DJ setup), one person would play the synth and bring in some improvisation and one person would play the visuals with Arkaos. Other times, the setup was almost exactly the same except we'd use an old crappy MC-303 to sequence some sounds we made in Reason, while using some sounds from the MC-303 run through a noisey distortion pedal and fuzz wah, and add a different degree of improv there (as much as you can improv with pre-recorded parts of patterns). Other times, if we were just doing straight improv, we'd load a bunch of kick drums and some breaks into Ableton, run a VST host on the same machine to improv some sounds with a MIDI controller, slave up another laptop for other random sounds to be used in Ableton by another person, and throw some added noise on top wih some circuit bent gear. The last method really only pulled a whole floor into it once. And that was kind of a niche party where everyone was well drunk, myself included, and ready for some noise. Kinda wish we recorded that one to see if we actually pulled something off good or if it was just the energy in the place at the moment that made it enjoyable. I guess I can understand people doing it the ways that have been taunted if they really want their set to sound perfect. But, if that's the case, I just don't understand why there's a need to pretend to do a live PA. Just DJ your tracks. It's easier and nobody really gives a **** anyways. Live PAs will always have some malfunction or screwup happen and, if someone can't handle that, they shouldn't bo doing one. It's paying to see lip-syncing. Any "Live PA" that pulls that shit should just call themselves Milli Vanilli 2000.

djshiva
21-07-2006, 10:34 AM

but then, what would magda do?

djshiva
21-07-2006, 10:36 AM
http://www.ubercoolische.com/images/redfitted.jpg

278d7e64a374de26f==