PDA

View Full Version : Little tip on bass vs. kick eqing

loopdon
14-07-2006, 02:16 AM
nicked this from a tutorial... related to tarnce but i found it interesting

Synthbass EQ

---> Open the Waves Q10 Equalizer on the first insert of the bass track.

Correcting the EQ on the synthbass is essential for the main mix.

Producers universally agree that the interaction between kick and bass is a high priority.

This is especially important in Club music to create a compelling
dance groove (or at least elicit nodding heads from those worried about their street credibility).

This bass track presents five critical areas that require correction.

Four bands of the Waves Q10 EQare deployed to detect and eliminate interfering frequencies caused by tonal changes during the bassline: 67 Hz (C), 101Hz (D#), 117 Hz, and 155 Hz.

An additional high-pass filter eliminates the sub-frequencies.
Set the sequencer loop pointer to bars 1-5 and play that Segment.

Our technique for thefirst four filters involves configuring them to the maximum boost, scanning to find the problem frequency, and then changing the filter to the appropriate cut amount to remove the problem.

step by step:

1. Activate band 2, Set the type to peak filter, Q = 100, and Gain = 18 dB.
2. Scan through the range 50-100 Hz usingthe Freq field. When you hear a sudden increase in sound almost like feedback, you have found the first critical area around 67 Hz.
3. Set Gain = -6 dB.
4. Band 2 now has the following settings: Freq = 67 Hz, Q= 100, Gain = -6 dB.
5. Repeat steps 1-3 for bands 3-5 but scan in the following ranges:
Band 3: 50-200 Hz. The problem is at 101 Hz.
Band 4: 100-200 Hz. The problem is at 117 Hz.
Band 5: 100-200 Hz. The problem is at 155 Hz.
These three filters all receive the Same amount of cut and Q. The resulting
settings are:
Band 3: Freq = 101 Hz, Q = 100, Gain = -6 dB
Band 4: Freq = 117 Hz, Q = 100, Gain = -6 dB
Band 5: Freq = 155 Hz, Q = 100, Gain = -6 dB
These regions are very ctose to one another. You could lower the Q settings (thus broadening the bandwidth of affected frequencies) of neighboring bands and solve two problems with a single filter. However, I recommend working as accurately as possible and avoiding wide filters that affect too
many frequencies. This achieves the rnost neutral and smooth sound. Let's turn our attention to finding and correcting the sub-frequencies to accommodate the kick. Set band 1 to a high-pass filter and scan the low frequencies until the bass and kickcomplement each otherwithout interference
(80 Hz). The settings that result adequately reduce the lower region from 16-80 Hz.
Band 1 (Freq = 80 Hz, Gain = 0 dB, Q = 7)

last is questionable, imo..

the hz values used are related to a wav fĂ*le that was linkd to the tut so they will prolly be different in your tunes :cheese:

so don't go notching 67 hz just because the tut says so, innit
--- this is just an example

fresh_an_funky_design
15-07-2006, 03:05 PM
usefull little tutorial, makes quite a difference to your bass

dirty_bass
15-07-2006, 04:00 PM
what a long winded theory.
As far as I can make out it`s just basic subtractive EQ theory, made exceedingly complicated.

In a nutshell you can abbreviate to this.

Use a multiband EQ on your bass, to make sure there are no clashing frequencies between it and the kick.
Boost and sweep to find over resonant frequencies, then cut these frequencies.
Fint the "centre" or main frequency area your kick takes up, and pull back some of this from your bass.

loopdon
15-07-2006, 04:57 PM
:lol: you are quite right. it might be helpful for some people though.
there's even tools that do that for you --> elevayta spaceboy. just keep mentioning this because it'sa plugin i have actually paid for. don't use it much though.

i think for some people with less than ideal monitoring possibilities sth. like gliss eq with it's spectrum overlay function is useful in this respect.

and as the first reply signalizes this is news to some/a different (systematic) attempt regarding this issue.

ps: i would have loved your thread to have gone on here, steve.
i hope you know that, mate. and i asked for help because i couldn't do it myself.

RDR
15-07-2006, 07:38 PM
There was also a musical element to it.

They are talking about the partials the bass is using, and then EQing them out of the way of the kick.

dirty_bass
15-07-2006, 10:31 PM
:lol: you are quite right. it might be helpful for some people though.
there's even tools that do that for you --> elevayta spaceboy. just keep mentioning this because it'sa plugin i have actually paid for. don't use it much though.

i think for some people with less than ideal monitoring possibilities sth. like gliss eq with it's spectrum overlay function is useful in this respect.

and as the first reply signalizes this is news to some/a different (systematic) attempt regarding this issue.

ps: i would have loved your thread to have gone on here, steve.
i hope you know that, mate. and i asked for help because i couldn't do it myself.

Well, I`ve spent a long time writing a plain english production guide for techno, but it just died on this site, so I`m gonna publish it at londontechno.co.uk

dan the acid man
16-07-2006, 12:30 AM
i'll keep my eyes open for that guide steve :cool:

loopdon
16-07-2006, 12:31 AM
tell me when it's up. just to make things clear - i have a sticky thread of my own going, but i did not set it up by myself and cannot make anything sticky till this day. i have been a mod at u-s-b forum where this was no problem whatsoever. so i still can't believe i am to thick to do so. i'd love to read more of your tipps, so when you are ready...

278d7e64a374de26f==