PDA

View Full Version : Dimples?

meri
20-09-2003, 11:55 AM
I've noticed quite a few records lately with little dimples/blemishes/potholes on the vinyl which tends to make the sound 'come and go'. As far as I'm aware, they all come from curvepusher (labels like RAW, S.U.F., maxmin). Has anyone else noticed this? What causes it?

davethedrummer
20-09-2003, 07:58 PM
those dimples are from dirt on the stampers or underneath the stampers
i've never noticed any difference in sound though apart from when the dimples are really bad.
you normally get them on t.p.s as the run is limited at the t.p. stage and when the full production run gets going those dimples flatten out.
you get them in most records so i reckon it's fairly normal.

which ones in particular are you taliking about?

Adverse
20-09-2003, 08:01 PM
yes i get them in my tp's they don't mean anything sonically.

Si the Sigh
20-09-2003, 08:45 PM
i have got 3 'dimples' in my tess press copy of Powertools 12. they are near the end of the logo side, and i agree with Meri, the sound does go a little bit weird. when i first spotted them they looked that bad, that i was convinced the tune wasnt going to play until the end, but it plays ok, bar a slight drop in sound quality.

davethedrummer
20-09-2003, 09:41 PM
weird.
but also the sound quality does get worse at the end of the record
thats why they invented the cut that goes from inside out
so for classical radio braodcasts the sound quality gets better as it plays.

basically the grooves are closer together at the end so less sonic dynamics
that may be why yuo think the dimples are affecting the sound.

have a look at all your other records i bet you find lot's of dimples on them that you never noticed before.

Si the Sigh
20-09-2003, 09:49 PM
im going to have a look through my tunes now...hey! this could be my new hobby...DIMPLE SPOTTING! :lol:

meri
21-09-2003, 02:26 PM
The only one that's been bad enough to stop me playing it was an orange RAW (sounded like there was invisible fluff on the needle), so I'm not moaning. I love about 90% of what comes out of Curvepusher and I was just interested in what causes this.

FORCE 5
30-09-2003, 10:39 PM
MMMM dont know bout this qaulity thing...

my mrs has a couple of dimples on her ass cheeks and belive me the quality gets better as it nears the end :lol: :lol: :lol:

dan the acid man
01-10-2003, 09:56 AM
MMMM dont know bout this qaulity thing...

my mrs has a couple of dimples on her ass cheeks and belive me the quality gets better as it nears the end :lol: :lol: :lol:

HA! HA! Classic :lol: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==