PDA

View Full Version : audio exciters

Decimal
16-07-2006, 06:05 AM
i'm particularly interested in the trans-x in the waves package.

I've gotten good results from using it on the master signal and being gentle with the settings, but i don't understand it as much as i'd like to.

Does anyone else use this? how and to what effect?

loopdon
16-07-2006, 12:17 PM
trans-x is more of a transient designer. not an exciter if i am not totally wrong. dominion would be another one, but free. or transmodder by voxengo, payware though. like the waves thingie you paid for and... :cheese:

dirty_bass
16-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Be careful where you use exciters, and how far you go with them.

loopdon
16-07-2006, 09:36 PM
i think you are talking about transient manipulators, i once read an article about them stating you can do things with them that compression can't do. in order to make things sit in a mix... i personally don't use any one and i prolly would only use it on say snares or kicks /busses/subgroups but not on the main mix.

you pull the attack phase to the front or reduce it...could help a kick cut through for example i guess.

" TransX is for any sound engineer or musician who wishes to shape transients on their tracks.
The NEW Waves TransX processor brings innovative ways to rhythmically control your signals that preserve and restore the "life" of the tracks. Unlike traditional compressors which let you control by ratio, attack, release, frequency, etc. TransX focuses on two aspects of the signal, the transients and sustain-decay and then let you control each."

and

Featuring

Control Room Sound - Increase or decrease the amount of "room sound"
Control Microphone Distance - control the perception of mic placement
Control "pick and stick" - on drums and guitars
Soften the Edge - re-design the attack where softer sounds are desired
Add Punch - add or soften edge where needed to any instrument
Multiple tools - for speed and efficiency: Wide band for quick solutions, a 4 band for a total control of reshaping
Subtle or Extreme - a new sonic universe.

"In a word - fantastic! It brought life back to a very over-compressed mix I'm mastering at the moment."
Dirk Buro - Mixing and Mastering engineer, db-Tonstudio, Germany - Can, Boy George, Gloria Gaynor… "

Decimal
17-07-2006, 07:41 AM
like i said, i don't understand it enough to use it 'right', or even know what it really is. :)

but thank you loopdon, thats helps.

:cheese:

278d7e64a374de26f==